Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy that you won/lost Amazon HQ2
I live near NYC/DC and am glad that we won HQ2 33 20.63%
I live near NYC/DC and wish we didn't win HQ2 18 11.25%
I live near the other competing metros and am sad that we lost HQ2 37 23.13%
I live near the other competing metros and am glad that we didn't win HQ2 72 45.00%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 06:58 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times

Advertisements

I was actually routing for either Philly, Nashville, or Atlanta on getting this but when I look at it, all the choices made make sense. Really happy for Nashville on the East Coast Hub of Operations,, very big score for Nashville and even if a lot of people don't see it, makes perfect sense, especially with FedEx next door in Memphis, not to mention the way Nashville is Booming and I can see it absorbing the 5,000 jobs a lot easier than that originally planned 50,000. I think Amazon found that hard for any City to absorb, that's why it was broken down into 2 cities plus a Hub of Operations. I don't know why but I saw this coming, and I have always said don't sleep on Ca$hville.. I know a lot of my hometown boosters don't like this right now and I think most of the Boostering was a reason I started to lean a little less Atlanta and more favoring Philly to Nashville for top picks. You have to understand you can't get anything worth while going at certain things a certain way, you can give away the kitchen sink, bribe or try to give the world and be rejected, it makes us look bad and no one likes the big head.. Sometimes you have to lay back in the cut and just watch what people do and how people act and let things take shape,,, it gets to be very interesting if you know what I mean.. Looking at certain cities Treads on CD and you will get what I mean...Example I thank Nashville barely talked about Amazon on its treads and look at our Atlanta threads, we talked about Amazon virtually every day.. We wanted it too bad and not to mention I think we felt we had this in the bag.. That's how the city of Nashville got what they got and no one saw it coming or even expected it not even most of us down here in Atlanta, the big brother to the south. I hope this is a lesson learned for us. I think the day our region comes together, namely Top cities in the Southeast like Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte to work together for one common goal as a reason, that includes connectivity and Transportation, we could really see what this region could become instead of us being so backward and feeling as though only one city in the south has rights to become anything or claim all the glory, victory then we are still doomed as a region, and yes this goes past state line. The Northeast has been doing it for years and its still pulling off victories!!!.. "BosWash"..

Last edited by oobanks; 11-15-2018 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 07:16 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
My experience is that a few ATL posters have an inferiority complex to more urban cities and they want everyone to know they are a big boy world class urban oasis and they can’t be bothered with being compared to other sunbelt, auto-oriented cities - particularly those in the south. Much too world class for that.

This very post comes across to me as a back handed “compliment” to Nashville. The fact you think ATL is so hated is obnoxious. Thinking ATL is a sprawling city that’s more suburban in nature overall vs. some of the northeastern cities is not hating.
There is no need to give a back handed compliment to Nashville. They are a growing and booming city, who won a huge economic victory. It will do wonders for them long term.

A healthy $385 billon economy and growing, Atlanta has that. No need to be salty. You tried it though.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:50 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I'm glad we won the East Coast Hub of Operations. We beat out every other city to win. While New York City and NOVA celebrate their HQ wins, we welcome the thousands of high paying jobs that will be created. I expect housing values to raise significantly over time. This area of Nashville will greatly benefit.
I'm not sure every city bid to be the hub of operations?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:59 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Crystal City is already one of the biggest job hubs in the DC metro area. It didn't need Amazon.

They should have chosen a different location. It's overkill at this point.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:16 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Dodged a bullet by not giving a billionaire tax breaks.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:23 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
I guess I am the first from Chicago to chime in. So I admit disappointment, it would have done a lot to solidify plans for the 78 project or the Lincoln Yards project. Downtown Chicago is on a good trajectory right now though, and Google, Facebook and Saleforce are expanding here, but add Amazon and it would have been a boost.

Any city on the top 20, except those with serious housing and crowding problems like Boston and Denver, would have profited in some way by the new jobs. Chicago was a perfect match with O'Hare expanding, being a Big 10 magnet, and having some great colleges in addition. I think most Chicagoans were pulling for it, and the locations in/near downtown with transit and a decent cost of living would have sealed it,

I do think that this was really not much of a meaningful search on the part of Amazon, particularly with Bezos' ties to D.C.. And places like Philly and Baltimore could have been transformed. Just add it to the news lately out of Washington which doesn't make complete sense.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:53 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm not sure every city bid to be the hub of operations?
Bless your heart.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I was actually routing for either Philly, Nashville, or Atlanta on getting this but when I look at it, all the choices made make sense. Really happy for Nashville on the East Coast Hub of Operations,, very big score for Nashville and even if a lot of people don't see it, makes perfect sense, especially with FedEx next door in Memphis, not to mention the way Nashville is Booming and I can see it absorbing the 5,000 jobs a lot easier than that originally planned 50,000. I think Amazon found that hard for any City to absorb, that's why it was broken down into 2 cities plus a Hub of Operations. I don't know why but I saw this coming, and I have always said don't sleep on Ca$hville.. I know a lot of my hometown boosters don't like this right now and I think most of the Boostering was a reason I started to lean a little less Atlanta and more favoring Philly to Nashville for top picks. You have to understand you can't get anything worth while going at certain things a certain way, you can give away the kitchen sink, bribe or try to give the world and be rejected, it makes us look bad and no one likes the big head.. Sometimes you have to lay back in the cut and just watch what people do and how people act and let things take shape,,, it gets to be very interesting if you know what I mean.. Looking at certain cities Treads on CD and you will get what I mean...Example I thank Nashville barely talked about Amazon on its treads and look at our Atlanta threads, we talked about Amazon virtually every day.. We wanted it too bad and not to mention I think we felt we had this in the bag.. That's how the city of Nashville got what they got and no one saw it coming or even expected it not even most of us down here in Atlanta, the big brother to the south. I hope this is a lesson learned for us. I think the day our region comes together, namely Top cities in the Southeast like Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte to work together for one common goal as a reason, that includes connectivity and Transportation, we could really see what this region could become instead of us being so backward and feeling as though only one city in the south has rights to become anything or claim all the glory, victory then we are still doomed as a region, and yes this goes past state line. The Northeast has been doing it for years and its still pulling off victories!!!.. "BosWash"..
But see, I thinks that’s where our opinions differ. I just think Atlanta was confident in what it has to offer. That goes back to me saying that we are confident in what we are and what we’re not. No one will consider Atlanta an urban, cosmopolitan, tier I world class city. But that’s what the city aspires to be by the time it’s all said and done.

Right now, though, Atlanta is the de facto focal point of the Southeast. And, well, that’s pretty distinct. But of course since it’s not the West Coast or the Northeast, it’s downplayed to being childish to be proud of. What culture does the Southeast have compared to the most high New England? Or what does the Southeast offer to compete in anyway with the glorious and beyond your wildest imagination awesomeness that is the West Coast? Everyone in the entire Southeastern United States would pack up and LEAVE if they could and they would all go to California because that’s how much everyone on Earth loves California.

And I’m not so sure I see Georgia playing well in the sandbox with Alabama, Tennesse, or North Carolina...

Old 11-15-2018, 09:50 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
But see, I thinks that’s where our opinions differ. I just think Atlanta was confident in what it has to offer. That goes back to me saying that we are confident in what we are and what we’re not. No one will consider Atlanta an urban, cosmopolitan, tier I world class city. But that’s what the city aspires to be by the time it’s all said and done.

Right now, though, Atlanta is the de facto focal point of the Southeast. And, well, that’s pretty distinct. But of course since it’s not the West Coast or the Northeast, it’s downplayed to being childish to be proud of. What culture does the Southeast have compared to the most high New England? Or what does the Southeast offer to compete in anyway with the glorious and beyond your wildest imagination awesomeness that is the West Coast? Everyone in the entire Southeastern United States would pack up and LEAVE if they could and they would all go to California because that’s how much everyone on Earth loves California.

And I’m not so sure I see Georgia playing well in the sandbox with Alabama, Tennesse, or North Carolina...
I think oobanks said it well....the SE as a whole has alot of potential as they have so much more room to grow.

Also being proud is one thing but Atlanta posters were definitely overarching the "I'm just proud of my city" tagline with the whole HQ2 thing, it was more of a "Atlanta is the best so this is a done deal". All of the backpeddling, justifying and defensive comments since the announcement doesnt help either. That's probably why they are seeing so much backlash here and why many are glad they didnt get it.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Crystal City is already one of the biggest job hubs in the DC metro area. It didn't need Amazon.

They should have chosen a different location. It's overkill at this point.
That was in the early 2000's, Crystal City had lost 17,000 jobs since then, until now.

Of the DC metro area sites, it was the most perfect for Amazon HQ2. This will completely solidify the urban core between DC and Arlington. The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is already solidified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City