Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:17 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Everyone from Miami all the way up to Port St. Lucie(2hrs north) reps the Heat, hurricanes, marlins dolphins.
No, that’s different. Those ppl might say they like coming to Miami to support the closest team to their home or just rep them by virtue of being in the state, but that’s not how Snoop treats LA teams. Those are teams “in his city”. Other example:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety...201457511/amp/

The Game and Snoop Dogg Host "Gang Summit" In LA | The Source

This is the same way ppl from college park, Decatur, Gwinnet rep the city of Atlanta as their own.

Luda, Migos, OutKast, etc are based in cities around Atlanta but build the Atlanta brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 04:29 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
One thing I noticed about LA is people in Orange County or the IE do not like to be associated with the LA Metro, even though they are close enough to be considered suburbs of the metropolis. Tokyo is another one where pretty much the prefecture of the same name is considered Tokyo Metro, while people in other prefectures especially Kanagawa which has Yokohama, another large city, do not associate with living in Tokyo.

Meanwhile, some cities have metros that extend to other states, particularly DC. In some cases Chicago and NYC as well.
For sure. There's even people in the San Fernando Valley portion of the City of LA that say they are going "to the city" when they cross the hill into the basin and vice versa. Each county has its own identity and pull too. There are several mini-orbits all around the LA area. Even though it's pretty much all connected now via urbanization, there's still a lot of cultural separation. Weather differences, politics, geography, and pricing all play a part with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
They don't but LA is so large they don't have to just LA County alone has over 10 million would still be the second largest metro in the country just the one county. Long Beach has more people than the city of Atlanta or Miami so it's much easier as a standalone, but it's still LA, it even borders the city of LA.
Long Beach might border the city but that's only the small sliver of LA city limits that's in San Pedro near the ports. Heck San Pedro itself grew up as an independent city originally before being annexed by LA and still retains a lot of that identity. Residents there identify with San Pedro or even Long Beach before the City of LA, even though they are technically in the City of LA. Long Beach has a strong pull from northern OC and the South Bay. There's a lot of amenities there. Pasadena would be the same way if it wasn't so close to Downtown LA already.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:03 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
To provide perspective, Long Beach is a city of 469,000 people, almost the size of Atlanta. It would be the largest city in many states and is the third largest city in Southern California after LA and San Diego (and 7th largest overall in the state). Only because it's next to the second largest city in the second-largest metro area in the country makes it seem "small." It's too big to really be considered a suburb and has its own mini-orbit that pulls from the South Bay suburbs and parts of North OC (Anaheim and Santa Ana have their orbit around that part of OC as well). If LA were a smaller city of about 1 million people, it would be the Oakland of SoCal. It has its own substantial downtown area and economy thanks to the port, oil, and manufacturing. It's very much its own city with its own identity very separate from Los Angeles. Yes, it's next to the narrow strip of Los Angeles that's Harbor Gateway, but DTLA is at least 20 miles and a world away. Snoop may represent LA when it comes to sports teams, but he's more likely to shout out Long Beach before he shouts out Los Angeles.

I grew up in Southern California as a kid, and lived there briefly before I moved to DC, and have lots of family there, some of whom live in Long Beach or in adjacent cities nearby (Carson, Cerritos, Gardena, etc.) and many of them tend to stick to the South Bay area and Long Beach by default due to it being the biggest city in that part of the LA Basin. Due to the sheer size of Greater Los Angeles and the notorious congestion, you have a lot of areas around with their own amenities, so going to "the city" (Downtown LA, Hollywood, Central LA, and the Westside in this instance) isn't as much of an essential thing to do like it is in Atlanta and its surroundings. I lived in Hawthorne and found myself spending a lot more time in the LBC and Torrance and Manhattan Beach than I did in Los Angeles when I was out there. There's a lot of regional nuances in Southern California that a lot of people who've never been there or aren't familiar with the area that they don't pick up on.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:00 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
To provide perspective, Long Beach is a city of 469,000 people, almost the size of Atlanta. It would be the largest city in many states and is the third largest city in Southern California after LA and San Diego (and 7th largest overall in the state). Only because it's next to the second largest city in the second-largest metro area in the country makes it seem "small." It's too big to really be considered a suburb and has its own mini-orbit that pulls from the South Bay suburbs and parts of North OC (Anaheim and Santa Ana have their orbit around that part of OC as well). If LA were a smaller city of about 1 million people, it would be the Oakland of SoCal. It has its own substantial downtown area and economy thanks to the port, oil, and manufacturing. It's very much its own city with its own identity very separate from Los Angeles. Yes, it's next to the narrow strip of Los Angeles that's Harbor Gateway, but DTLA is at least 20 miles and a world away. Snoop may represent LA when it comes to sports teams, but he's more likely to shout out Long Beach before he shouts out Los Angeles.

I grew up in Southern California as a kid, and lived there briefly before I moved to DC, and have lots of family there, some of whom live in Long Beach or in adjacent cities nearby (Carson, Cerritos, Gardena, etc.) and many of them tend to stick to the South Bay area and Long Beach by default due to it being the biggest city in that part of the LA Basin. Due to the sheer size of Greater Los Angeles and the notorious congestion, you have a lot of areas around with their own amenities, so going to "the city" (Downtown LA, Hollywood, Central LA, and the Westside in this instance) isn't as much of an essential thing to do like it is in Atlanta and its surroundings. I lived in Hawthorne and found myself spending a lot more time in the LBC and Torrance and Manhattan Beach than I did in Los Angeles when I was out there. There's a lot of regional nuances in Southern California that a lot of people who've never been there or aren't familiar with the area that they don't pick up on.
Insightful. I don’t doubt snoop reps LB specifically, just like other rappers who rep Compton, but they don’t rep LA as something seperate from those places, they are LA hoods. This may be a function of how hip-hop works more than anything. Los Angeles is the brand in a sense because it is the anchor city.

But I totally get that the LBC is big enough to be self-contained. Never disputed that. NBA player Paul George just had an interview saying he’s not specifically from LA, but Palmdale. He uses LA for out of towners.

But again, I feel like this can said of any metro with lots of surrounding cities/suburbs.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Insightful. I don’t doubt snoop reps LB specifically, just like other rappers who rep Compton, but they don’t rep LA as something seperate from those places, they are LA hoods. This may be a function of how hip-hop works more than anything. Los Angeles is the brand in a sense because it is the anchor city.

But I totally get that the LBC is big enough to be self-contained. Never disputed that. NBA player Paul George just had an interview saying he’s not specifically from LA, but Palmdale. He uses LA for out of towners.

But again, I feel like this can said of any metro with lots of surrounding cities/suburbs.
True. Most people are familiar with Los Angeles. Not as many are as familiar with other areas/cities nearby. Most hip-hop songs aren't about to break things down regarding geography, LOL...

Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:

As I might have mention

JD is from Collage Park GA but rep Atlanta

Diddy comes in reps for New York
G
Murphy Lee comes in reps for St Louis

Then Snoop comes in litteally reps for Long Beach, I never understood why earth not LA in general.

People are not dumb and know geography, people in hip hop usually rep there specific side of town and the greater metro region.

But I think there a difference of what said first their specific city or the larger city, for example there are a lot platinum rappers from College Park GA. JD, ludacris, Ying twins just to name a few but none care to point it not apart of the city, they do it a way that you would think in was part of the city. Of course Snoop reps greater LA but he also makes it very clear that Long Beach is not a part of The city of LA.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
True. Most people are familiar with Los Angeles. Not as many are as familiar with other areas/cities nearby. Most hip-hop songs aren't about to break things down regarding geography, LOL...
Hip hop culture is very folksy actually, artists tend to have a lot of pride of the cities and neighborhoods there from, and commonly rap about thing associated with that city or region culture.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Oh. I’m well aware, but Luda does this with college park preceding Atlanta in what he reps. He still reps Atlanta. Snoop still reps LA, especially the Lakers, when he goes public speaking on them he uses inclusive language about the franchise and so on.
Again rappers to tend rep both there specific neighborhoods/suburb and the greater region

The difference between Luda reping Collage Park is he does in a way that would make you think Collage Park is a Park of city itself

Snoop reps the Great LA, but he make perfectly clear that Long Beach also has a separate identity from The city of LA

Old 12-01-2018, 01:48 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
For sure. There's even people in the San Fernando Valley portion of the City of LA that say they are going "to the city" when they cross the hill into the basin and vice versa. Each county has its own identity and pull too. There are several mini-orbits all around the LA area. Even though it's pretty much all connected now via urbanization, there's still a lot of cultural separation. Weather differences, politics, geography, and pricing all play a part with this.

Long Beach might border the city but that's only the small sliver of LA city limits that's in San Pedro near the ports. Heck San Pedro itself grew up as an independent city originally before being annexed by LA and still retains a lot of that identity. Residents there identify with San Pedro or even Long Beach before the City of LA, even though they are technically in the City of LA. Long Beach has a strong pull from northern OC and the South Bay. There's a lot of amenities there. Pasadena would be the same way if it wasn't so close to Downtown LA already.
I've never heard anyone in the valley say we are going "to the city" or anyone in SoCal for that matter. Of course they identify with their area first just saying LA in LA is not that specific. Yeah, Long Beach is it's own city, but it's still LA. Palmdale is a whole different story it's far from LA, still in LA County, and not well known.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:49 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
I've seen dudes on video(like the one I posted earlier) from South Central and Watts who speak about LA like its a whole other city separate from their hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City