Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Baltimore and Richmond be included in the same cultural region?
Yes, both cities have a lot in common. 6 15.00%
No, both cities are completely different from each other. 10 25.00%
Yes, but both are culturally distinct from Washington D.C. 5 12.50%
Yes, but only if the region is outside of the census defined regions. 0 0%
No, both cities have similarities but are more different than they are alike. 12 30.00%
Yes, both cities plus Washington DC are already in the same region. 10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2018, 01:12 PM

36 posts, read 19,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
In Black sub culture though, DC has indirectly influenced Baltimore on some level. DC's black culture is twice as big as Baltimore's. KodeBlue would never admit to this, but I'll tell you a little story with concrete facts.

Back in the early 2000's DC had a bunch of local Black owned clothing brands. Some names were Madness, Hobo, Shooters, WeROne Solbiato etc. These clothing brands became super popular among locals in the DMV area, and it was almost a uniform for many young blacks of that era growing up.

Baltimore did come up with a very similiar looking brand called Samos that was like spin off of the these distinct DC clothing styles. Beyond this however, Baltimore adopted more than one of those DC based brands into their own local culture. Baltimore dudes from East to West side had on Shooters, Hobo, and WeROne and I was there around this time so I know this as a fact. 'Shooters' brand had a store in Mandowin Mall on the West side that I have been inside of. WeROne was adopted easily when Big G aka Slim Charles on the Wire wore this on the show, afterwards there were a number of cats in Baltimore wearing this DC based street wear. They even made the brands in the form of 'tall tees' to adapt to the long tees guys in Baltimore would wear.

Hasim Rahman, a heavyweight champion boxer from Baltimore, specifically wore 'Hobo' aka "Help our brothers out" as a sign of paying homage to those brands and unity. Again I'm not making this up:

Clothes label hits big time with Rahman - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

The Days started HOBO out of the trunk of their car in 1994. When the business grew, the couple rented space in the back of a hair salon in Hyattsville. They opened the Capitol Heights boutique in 1996, and the Baltimore store opened a year ago at the corner of Franklin and Eutaw streets.

Baltimore keeps its accent, it's foods etc but the more hip and larger Black DC culture has spread up to Baltimore before. Baltimore has its own distinctive things about it without question, but it has on more than one occasion been swallowed up by influences of larger metros in the NEC DC, Philly, NYC. And "Black DC" had never "lacked" culture.

Having lived in both the Baltimore and Washington areas I really can’t see how Baltimore has been influenced by DC in terms of black culture. If anything those examples and DC’s overall influence in Baltimore is minimal at best. And that is probably due to how close the two cities are. The metro areas overlap so there would be a definite mixing of cultures. They both share the same foods now. Their accents are pretty similar (not completely the same though) with just a few slang words being different. The dress pretty similar with some adaptations from each city. We share the same region so of course businesses will move across the area. Part of DC’s MSA is in MD which is also where Baltimore is located. It would be easy for someone to open up a second store in Baltimore from PG county or to serve a Baltimore based seafood restaurant in DC. It’s not a one-way street.

For the most part, neither city does spread their influence to the other. We maintain separate cultures and styles. But since we are so close to each other, there are times when our culture can spread.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 01:17 PM

36 posts, read 19,772 times
And besides, I’d definitely say that DC and Baltimore and all of the northeast - maybe even most of the US - is influenced in varying degrees by the big city: NYC

Old 12-01-2018, 01:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfor1 View Post
Having lived in both the Baltimore and Washington areas I really can’t see how Baltimore has been influenced by DC in terms of black culture. If anything those examples and DC’s overall influence in Baltimore is minimal at best. And that is probably due to how close the two cities are. The metro areas overlap so there would be a definite mixing of cultures. They both share the same foods now. Their accents are pretty similar (not completely the same though) with just a few slang words being different. The dress pretty similar with some adaptations from each city. We share the same region so of course businesses will move across the area. Part of DC’s MSA is in MD which is also where Baltimore is located. It would be easy for someone to open up a second store in Baltimore from PG county or to serve a Baltimore based seafood restaurant in DC. It’s not a one-way street.

For the most part, neither city does spread their influence to the other. We maintain separate cultures and styles. But since we are so close to each other, there are times when our culture can spread.
I agree with most of this post. Baltimore and DC's accents aren't that similar, though. Baltimore has a truly unique accent.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:23 PM

110 posts, read 113,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What is the local culture like in Richmond? What are the local cuisines, traditions, quirks,.etc?
Cuisine:
Richmond Cuisine is very unique. As mentioned before, Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs have a significant presence in Richmond. I have also heard it referenced a lot that Pimento Cheese is very popular in Richmond. However, I have not witnessed this personally growing up there. The Sailor Sandwich and its ingredients are often considered a staple for lunch sandwiches. This sandwich includes Jewish Rye Bread, Swiss cheese, Pastrami or Reuben, Knackwurst, and hot mustard. These ingredients are very popular at most restaurants in the region. Ukrop's Homestyle Foods has also had a significant contribution to the cuisine of Richmond cuisine. Ukrops favorites include their Fried Chicken, Rainbow Cookies, and a variety of custom foods that are specific to Ukrops.
Ukrops Home Page - Ukrop's Homestyle Foods Richmond also has a notable presence of Jewish and Balkan Cuisine in its downtown and West End areas.

Non-Native Cuisines include mostly Chinese, Indian, and Middle Eastern Cuisine with a small Hispanic presence. Chinese food is popular throughout the entire region like it is in most places. However, Middle Eastern and South Asian Cuisine is mostly found in the Downtown and West End Areas where it is very common. This is largely due to Henrico County having a disproportionate share of the regions Asian and Middle Eastern Population. Hispanic style cuisine is not to common in the region but is mostly found in the poorer areas of Southside Richmond and Eastern Chesterfield County. The most common types of Hispanic Cuisine are Salvadoran (largely due to DC influence) and Mexican.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:53 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Richmond is the smallest of them but it's definitely in the same region. Richmond has closer ties to the DC area but it's still a mid-sized city. I'm sure everyone knows out the layouts of all three cities...Richmond does have more suburban single family homes though than Bmore and DC.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:59 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Richmond is the smallest of them but it's definitely in the same region. Richmond has closer ties to the DC area but it's still a mid-sized city. I'm sure everyone knows out the layouts of all three cities...Richmond does have more suburban single family homes though than Bmore and DC.
I know you must be talking about as a percentage of the overall population, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't all pretty close on this measure.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
I remember when Baltimore wore that "we are one" and shooters. I've personally never wore any of it, but you'd see it from time to time.

I will also say that Baltimore has more influence than DC. You can go to Philly, DC or Newark and hear or see Baltimore's influence. Think about what Meek Mill was arrested for, or the video Crew by Gold Link.

As far as culture in local general, Baltimore definitely has more culture than DC
Maybe outside of Black culture.

The Black culture of DC is wayyy stronger than Baltimore and more diverse across the board. Baltimore cannot match DC's Ethiopian/East African culture, and overall African culture from all parts of the continent. Local DC bred blacks have just as much of an ingrained local culture in them than Blacks in any city in America would have. Even within DC you have uptown with a certain swag vs southside, it's always been like that in DC. This all without adding PG County or inner Montgomery as an extension of DC where you have the most Caribbean and Africans in the whole region. Some neighborhoods and schools are filled with high African/Caribbean population. Baltimore doesn't come close to matching this. There are Africans and Caribbeans there, but as a percentage of the Black culture it's very low.

Last edited by the resident09; 12-03-2018 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 07:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Definitely. I don't even think DC has a native White culture to speak of, whereas Baltimore's is quite distinct.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:

The Black culture of DC is wayyy stronger than Baltimore and more diverse across the board. Baltimore cannot match DC's Ethiopian/East African culture, and overall African culture from all parts of the continent. Local DC bred blacks have just as much of an ingrained local culture in them than Blacks in any city in America would have. Even within DC you have uptown with a certain swag vs southside, it's always been like that in DC. This all without adding PG County or inner Montgomery as an extension of DC where you have the most Caribbean and Africans in the whole region. Some neighborhoods and schools are filled with high African/Caribbean population. Baltimore doesn't come close to matching this. There are Africans and Caribbeans there, but as a percentage of the Black culture it's very low.
I agree that DC's black population is more diverse than Baltimore. Most cities have sections of their city, and region where people have a different "swag" than other regions (Northeast Baltimore has a different swag than Down the Hill..etc).

That being said, I can guarantee you if someone would notice that Person: A is from Baltimore before they would notice that Person: B is from DC, if they were to both go out if town.

Baltimore's black culture has been replicated in more places (which I know you'll never admit to) than the local culture of Black Washingtonians for better or worse.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 PM

110 posts, read 113,932 times
Quote:
I agree that DC's black population is more diverse than Baltimore. Most cities have sections of their city, and region where people have a different "swag" than other regions (Northeast Baltimore has a different swag than Down the Hill..etc).

That being said, I can guarantee you if someone would notice that Person: A is from Baltimore before they would notice that Person: B is from DC, if they were to both go out if town.

Baltimore's black culture has been replicated in more places (which I know you'll never admit to) than the local culture of Black Washingtonians for better or worse.

That is very interesting. In terms of culture, accents, mannerisms, and cuisine, African Americans in Baltimore seem to have a lot in common with African Americans in Richmond. White American culture in the two cities is a bit different. However, I would say that Richmond is more similar to Baltimore than any other city in the country. Baltimore has less of the small town feel that Richmond has and has more cultural influence from Eastern Pennsylvania than Richmond but both have a very distinct Chesapeake feel to them. The old money element in both cities also comes from a similar source. Most old money families in Baltimore came from Southern and Western England and came to Maryland to make money from tobacco just like Richmonds did. Many of Marylands colonial families are originally from Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City