Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Baltimore and Richmond be included in the same cultural region?
Yes, both cities have a lot in common. 6 15.00%
No, both cities are completely different from each other. 10 25.00%
Yes, but both are culturally distinct from Washington D.C. 5 12.50%
Yes, but only if the region is outside of the census defined regions. 0 0%
No, both cities have similarities but are more different than they are alike. 12 30.00%
Yes, both cities plus Washington DC are already in the same region. 10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:26 AM

636 posts, read 603,744 times

Advertisements

Hanover still has some folks nostalgic for the Confederacy but even there it's waning due to the growing number of transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:03 AM

9,601 posts, read 9,197,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Hanover still has some folks nostalgic for the Confederacy but even there it's waning due to the growing number of transplants.
It is interesting to see how cities change overtime due to transplants and their influence. The difficulty occurs when the state, rural areas, or older generations do everything they can to resist change (assuming that the change is progressive and not regressive).

Old 12-10-2018, 09:42 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,254,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
And yet, besides your "carefully selected" articles, nobody who knows Richmond would call it Old South. The area you claim to know about around VCU has no resemblance to anything "Old South" besides the memorials...

Everybody keeps talking about these museums. Mutiny, do you recall myself and another poster, conversing with you a few years ago, stating the Confederate history seems to be a much bigger topic on here than on the ground with Richmonders? I also recall stating that I've both welcomed and met acquaintances who were transplants or visitors to Richmond, of various backgrounds, and not a single person ever asked me about the Confederate history, monuments, museums?

I maintain both points, to this day, I've yet to have an acquaintance kick off an interest or so much as a conversation in that stuff. Not a single person. It's all there if somebody wants to see it, but seriously, you can live in Richmond and never have a conversation about the ****; you can live in Richmond and while you might "know" the monuments and signage are there, you don't really "see" them. This idea that there's a "reminder" of that period in the city, is reflected by journalists writing listenable stories, and isn't an accurate depiction of what the average Richmonder experiences and sees. This obsession to relate Richmond to that long ago period is annoying, what other sizable city is defined by a 5-year period in its entire history?

To be clear, the Charlottesville incident created a dialogue surrounding the Confederacy in many places that is atypical. I lived in Richmond before then, topic never came up in my circles, not even with native Richmonders...
My perspective is that people are moreso filled with complacency. Those that are pro-statues etc. play on that sentiment, 'no reason to rile things up'. Those that are against the statues seemingly are screaming into an empty room. At the end of the day, most people feel like that's the way it is and that's the way it will always be (pointing to my earlier statement about the confederacy being ingrained into the culture of Greater Richmond). That being said, I know quite a few black Richmonders (which is the majority of the city population-wise) that view the glorification of the confederacy as a reminder of their oppression but just deal with it.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 10 days ago)

5,747 posts, read 5,503,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
My perspective is that people are moreso filled with complacency. Those that are pro-statues etc. play on that sentiment, 'no reason to rile things up'. Those that are against the statues seemingly are screaming into an empty room. At the end of the day, most people feel like that's the way it is and that's the way it will always be (pointing to my earlier statement about the confederacy being ingrained into the culture of Greater Richmond). That being said, I know quite a few black Richmonders (which is the majority of the city population-wise) that view the glorification of the confederacy as a reminder of their oppression but just deal with it.
Richmond is no longer majority black and hasn't been for a couple years now; blacks are still the largest plurality. I've read in the RTD that there are black Richmonders who view the monuments/memorials as a glorification of oppression. The topic never came up in my circle amongst Richmonders from any background...

I also don't think the people against the statues are the loudest people in the room, again reverting back to the point that I never so much as had a conversation about it. Maybe if you asked people....I do recall around Spring 2016, a handful of Confederate loyalists were pitching/protesting outside the Colonial Heights courthouse, and that made the rounds on social media. But everybody knows the further out areas have greater and more public displays of Confederate sympathy. I've never heard of a demonstration like this all my years in and Richmond, which is kinda my point--->CSA backers are by and large mostly non-Richmonders; museums dedicated to that era draw in people interested in that era only (even in the late-90s/early 00s, schools were not giving field trips to the CSA museums or monuments, and we literally had field trips to every other museum or landmark in Richmond); there is hardly any Confederate sentiment in the city of Richmond, where is it? It's not Downtown, it's not Uptown, you don't see it on the East End or the Northside or the Southside. My biggest guess would be with the old-money, more established West End families? I haven't seen it but that would be the only guess...

I just think you're mischaracterizing the city. The Confederate thing is a topic of historical discussion and not much more, I think many Richmonders would disagree with your assertion that it "defines" the city; you'd definitely be the first Richmonder around here to hold that opinion...

Old 12-10-2018, 02:21 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,254,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Richmond is no longer majority black and hasn't been for a couple years now; blacks are still the largest plurality. I've read in the RTD that there are black Richmonders who view the monuments/memorials as a glorification of oppression. The topic never came up in my circle amongst Richmonders from any background...

I also don't think the people against the statues are the loudest people in the room, again reverting back to the point that I never so much as had a conversation about it. Maybe if you asked people....I do recall around Spring 2016, a handful of Confederate loyalists were pitching/protesting outside the Colonial Heights courthouse, and that made the rounds on social media. But everybody knows the further out areas have greater and more public displays of Confederate sympathy. I've never heard of a demonstration like this all my years in and Richmond, which is kinda my point--->CSA backers are by and large mostly non-Richmonders; museums dedicated to that era draw in people interested in that era only (even in the late-90s/early 00s, schools were not giving field trips to the CSA museums or monuments, and we literally had field trips to every other museum or landmark in Richmond); there is hardly any Confederate sentiment in the city of Richmond, where is it? It's not Downtown, it's not Uptown, you don't see it on the East End or the Northside or the Southside. My biggest guess would be with the old-money, more established West End families? I haven't seen it but that would be the only guess...

I just think you're mischaracterizing the city. The Confederate thing is a topic of historical discussion and not much more, I think many Richmonders would disagree with your assertion that it "defines" the city; you'd definitely be the first Richmonder around here to hold that opinion...
To be clear, my experiences are for both the city of Richmond and its suburbs, which I consider to be one area to be one cultural entity (if you disagree, that's fair). I do think that the adoration for the confederacy is more prevalent in the suburbs than the young neighborhoods and the black neighborhoods closer in. As for displays of the confederacy, this isn't a daily thing however it happens. I believe around last year around the holidays, I drove past a large Sons of the Confederates demonstration in front of the VFMA on Boulevard, smack in the middle of town.

I went to schools in the late 90's/early 00's as well. though they may not have been having field trips to certain sites, they did celebrate Lee-Jackson-King day when I was in school in Henrico County (can't remember if I did in the City of Richmond). For those unfamiliar that would be Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Martin Luther King, which was the day off from school that they merged with the federal MLK holiday. The compromise is for the state to celebrate Lee-Jackson on a different day which is still a thing to this day.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:32 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,660,936 times
The display you saw on Boulevard was a reaction to the confederate flag being removed from the grounds of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts over a decade ago (the site of the museum was a retirement camp for confederate veterans and widows). The “flaggers” are still active and still delusional (there’s no historic context for the flag to be on that site, the camp was established after the war and never had a flag, other than American, until the 1960’s...the centennial).

Old 12-11-2018, 06:12 PM

110 posts, read 112,177 times
For those who disagree that Richmond and Baltimore are in the same cultural region, which cities do you think are the most similar to Richmond and Baltimore respectively?

Old 12-16-2018, 11:27 AM

1,513 posts, read 2,757,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicstar1 View Post
For those who disagree that Richmond and Baltimore are in the same cultural region, which cities do you think are the most similar to Richmond and Baltimore respectively?
Richmond is much more similar to Washington DC, though all 3 cities are mid atlantic.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 398 times
Baltimore is blue collar industrial.
Richmond is white collar southern.

Richmond is also much prettier and livable in the city limits.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:56 AM

999 posts, read 888,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantboy View Post
Baltimore is blue collar industrial.
Richmond is white collar southern.

Richmond is also much prettier and livable in the city limits.
Richmond has a well documented industrial past

https://www.virginiahistory.org/what...rowth-industry

"By the late 1850s, Virginia could claim 4,841 manufacturing establishments, making it fifth among the states in this category"

Industrial and Commercial Opportunity in Richmond

A French visitor in 1837 observed that Richmond “aspires to be a metropolis . . . by the great works which it is executing . . . canals, railroads, water-works, huge mills, workshops, for which the fall in the river affords an almost unlimited motive power"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City