Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:54 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,361,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Nashville is a Liberal City though even if its in a conservative state, same could be said about my home city of Atlanta. As far as the City not having Public transit whatsoever, that is just not true. It just does not fit the current size of the city and massive growth. The city has Buses, Double buses, BRT and 1 Commuter rail line. I will say after all of this, it will have to be expanded on some scale the way this is going.
Oh I'm well aware Nashville is quite a liberal city. It's just surprising that Amazon would choose it for such a massive project given its state politics. Hopefully this investment will keep the conservatives in the state government from turning against the city of Nashville and the Amazon workers who lean much more left than the state as a whole. I know the city has some strong LGBT protections as well. I just hope the state allows that to continue, so the people who move to Nashville can stay protected at least within the city itself. I wonder enough of the jobs at Amazon and the peripheral support positions would be filled by enough out-of-state people to ever change a TN statewide election. We see how the investment and growth in Atlanta has led to GA becoming pretty competitive recently.

I do take that back. Not that Nashville has no public transportation whatsoever, but it's very scarce for the size of the city. Maybe this project will force the city to reconsider its public transit infrastructure and fund it better. Nashville's layout is pretty conducive to building transit IMO. There's a defined center and defined urban corridors outside of the center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 12:54 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,983,971 times
The transit system isn't conducive to a city of nearly 2 million people. Unfortunately I don't think the state of Tennessee is capable of taking care of a city like Nashville could possibly become over the next 10 to 20 yrs. It takes money to upgrade public infrastructure and people don't want to be taxed for it.

Nashville is liberal for a Tennessee city but leans slightly conservative on a national scale. It's no Portland it's not Oklahoma City.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:57 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,481,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh I'm well aware Nashville is quite a liberal city. It's just surprising that Amazon would choose it for such a massive project given its state politics. Hopefully this investment will keep the conservatives in the state government from turning against the city of Nashville and the Amazon workers who lean much more left than the state as a whole. I know the city has some strong LGBT protections as well. I just hope the state allows that to continue, so the people who move to Nashville can stay protected at least within the city itself. I wonder enough of the jobs at Amazon and the peripheral support positions would be filled by enough out-of-state people to ever change a TN statewide election. We see how the investment and growth in Atlanta has led to GA becoming pretty competitive recently.

I do take that back. Not that Nashville has no public transportation whatsoever, but it's very scarce for the size of the city. Maybe this project will force the city to reconsider its public transit infrastructure and fund it better. Nashville's layout is pretty conducive to building transit IMO. There's a defined center and defined urban corridors outside of the center.

I totally agree,,, Seems Tennessee State government is cheering on Amazon and has support from it's Governor as well so seems to be an agreement for this economic engine...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...ter-nyc-strife

Old 03-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Amazon Nashville East coast hub to be unfazed and vow's commitment to the City regardless of New York decision.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...on/3028733002/

Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 PM

126 posts, read 143,210 times
Quote:

Yeah grievance politics is what corporate big wigs wake up thinking about every morning. It's the most pressing issue they face. Who cares about profitability.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:08 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Amazon Nashville East coast hub to be unfazed and vow's commitment to the City regardless of New York decision.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...on/3028733002/
GBT Realty releases image for new project on Broadway.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...eway-into.html

Old 03-04-2019, 07:34 PM

126 posts, read 143,210 times
Quote:
Surprised at Nashville. Happy they're not choosing LIC. Nashville still doesn't make sense, though, since it's in a very conservative state with a smaller airport and basically no public transit whatsoever. Also the Nashville location will be smaller than the LIC location, so maybe they realized they didn't need all those workers? Idk.
Nashville is box office. That's why corporations, real estate developers, and chefs are bum rushing the place.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
GBT Realty releases image for new project on Broadway.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...eway-into.html

Yeah, looks like that entire area in Nashville Yard around the Amazon site is getting HOT!

https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...-600foot-tower

Old 03-05-2019, 03:49 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,836,793 times
Quote:
It's just surprising that Amazon would choose it for such a massive project given its state politics. Hopefully this investment will keep the conservatives in the state government from turning against the city of Nashville and the Amazon workers who lean much more left than the state as a whole
Actually, I think you may have it backward.. It is because of the state politics is why Amazon has chosen Tennessee as one of its major tech hubs. People also don't realize it wasn't Washington state's liberalism, but rather its conservative politicians that attracted Amazon to Washington as its main headquarters. In fact, when Seattle City Council threatened Amazon with head tax, Jeff Bezos said he was ready to start divesting from the city and packing his bags. Miraculously , Seattle's communist city council decided to rescind the head tax. Washington state, like Tennessee, has no state income tax. That very hospitable environment attracts both the big corporations and also tech workers who enjoy taking home more of their hard earned money.

Ironically, the communists in New York chased Amazon away. If progressive politics was so favorable to Amazon, they would have been all too happy and embrace all the extra taxes and regulations that liberal governments wish to enforce upon it.

Bezos is pretty staunch Libertarian and I almost feel he is almost as ideologically based as strategically based. Would that little extra tax break made a big difference to Amazon? Not really.. But, he didn't like the mentality of the government and axed what was to be a huge development project.

As far as many tech workers being super liberal, I have not really experienced that. Many tech workers maybe socially liberal, but many are fiscally conservative. Tech workers are among the most heavily taxed people in America. A tech salary in California gets taxed 12%, but many software developers (especially recent graduates and junior developers) live almost at the poverty line by Bay Area standards.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:24 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Actually, I think you may have it backward.. It is because of the state politics is why Amazon has chosen Tennessee as one of its major tech hubs. People also don't realize it wasn't Washington state's liberalism, but rather its conservative politicians that attracted Amazon to Washington as its main headquarters. In fact, when Seattle City Council threatened Amazon with head tax, Jeff Bezos said he was ready to start divesting from the city and packing his bags. Miraculously , Seattle's communist city council decided to rescind the head tax. Washington state, like Tennessee, has no state income tax. That very hospitable environment attracts both the big corporations and also tech workers who enjoy taking home more of their hard earned money.

Ironically, the communists in New York chased Amazon away. If progressive politics was so favorable to Amazon, they would have been all too happy and embrace all the extra taxes and regulations that liberal governments wish to enforce upon it.

Bezos is pretty staunch Libertarian and I almost feel he is almost as ideologically based as strategically based. Would that little extra tax break made a big difference to Amazon? Not really.. But, he didn't like the mentality of the government and axed what was to be a huge development project.

As far as many tech workers being super liberal, I have not really experienced that. Many tech workers maybe socially liberal, but many are fiscally conservative. Tech workers are among the most heavily taxed people in America. A tech salary in California gets taxed 12%, but many software developers (especially recent graduates and junior developers) live almost at the poverty line by Bay Area standards.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City