Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:42 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Last point is the key.

I don't think Amazon will have much of an effect on New York besides the neighborhoods it is in.

New York has a massive economy, one of the largest in the world, so the addition of a satellite corporate office will hardly turn NYC upside down.

Peoples obsession with Amazon on here is a bit strange to me. I have spoken to some of my colleagues in New York and they didn't even know Amazon picked a winner. In any other US city that would not be the case.

I can definitely see this from a New York standpoint, the economy is just so huge which no other US city could compare. I think that's why it would be interesting to see the effect on the city if any, given the amount of jobs to be absorbed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I can definitely see this from a New York standpoint, the economy is just so huge which no other US city could compare. I think that's why it would be interesting to see the effect on the city if any, given the amount of jobs to be absorbed
Would also have been nice if Amazon had chosen another city outside of the obvious choice.

Amazon opening in Philadelphia or Atlanta or even DC would have a much more positive effect on the entire region. Amazon in NYC is adding another penny to a bucket of a million pennies.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Would also have been nice if Amazon had chosen another city outside of the obvious choice.

Amazon opening in Philadelphia or Atlanta or even DC would have a much more positive effect on the entire region. Amazon in NYC is adding another penny to a bucket of a million pennies.

I agree...I would love to have saw the Philly area get a part of it!!!

Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I can't say that Amazon has been, overall, that good for Seattle. Homeless, skyrocketing real estate prices....hence the homeless. Overall, it definitely has its bad points, along with the good. Not sure which overshadows the other. I don't think it's a clear win.
Essentially, all of the problems that the DC area already has pre-Amazon. I still think it’s good they’re coming but it’s only going to exacerbate all of those issues we already have here.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:19 AM

10,053 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
Amazon chosen cities New York, Northern Virginia/DC area and Nashville. How will these Cities/Metro's shape up, change in the next 10 to 20 Years, any predictions?? Population Growth, housing prices, infrastructure, changes, etc. Will there be min to no change/effect or do you think it will have a major effect? How will they compare to other Cities in their state and or even region. Will it help these regions as a whole? Now that these Cities have the prize, what will they look like in 10 to 20 years?

https://www.investopedia.com/news/am...ter-nashville/
I think this impacts Nashville the most, Crystal City, VA next, and Long Island City, Queens lastly. Nashville's Nashville Yards project added another tower for Amazon, and this entire new development area is going to be a destination for a lot of folks looking for entertainment, living, and vibrancy options in Nashville.
Amazon coming in will definitely increase rents, and will encourage many other companies to locate to Nashville or open offices in the city. Vibrancy, a 24/7 dynamic and bringing more workers and residents to downtown and midtown will be the result in 5 years from now in Nashville. It's huge and will continue to be one of Nashville's many success stories that allowed the city to move into another tier.

In the past 5-7 years, Nashville has moved beyond the tier city grouping with Birmingham, Louisville, Memphis, New Orleans, etc., and is now sitting alongside such cities as Indianapolis, Austin, Cincinnati, and Orlando.
By 2030, Nashville will be seated at the same table as Denver, Minneapolis, Tampa and San Diego.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Nashville's big elephant in the room is the lack of embrace of public transportation/metro rail. This attitude has to change for the city to truly become a well-oiled machine of the future. The automobile has to become a piece of the transportation solution--not the only option.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I think this impacts Nashville the most, Crystal City, VA next, and Long Island City, Queens lastly. Nashville's Nashville Yards project added another tower for Amazon, and this entire new development area is going to be a destination for a lot of folks looking for entertainment, living, and vibrancy options in Nashville.
Amazon coming in will definitely increase rents, and will encourage many other companies to locate to Nashville or open offices in the city. Vibrancy, a 24/7 dynamic and bringing more workers and residents to downtown and midtown will be the result in 5 years from now in Nashville. It's huge and will continue to be one of Nashville's many success stories that allowed the city to move into another tier.

In the past 5-7 years, Nashville has moved beyond the tier city grouping with Birmingham, Louisville, Memphis, New Orleans, etc., and is now sitting alongside such cities as Indianapolis, Austin, Cincinnati, and Orlando.
By 2030, Nashville will be seated at the same table as Denver, Minneapolis, Tampa and San Diego.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Nashville's big elephant in the room is the lack of embrace of public transportation/metro rail. This attitude has to change for the city to truly become a well-oiled machine of the future. The automobile has to become a piece of the transportation solution--not the only option.

This is Soooo True and Light rail is something i think the city will be forced to digest within a few years because the current Metro bus system and one commuter rail line to the east side Suburbs is no longer a fit for the City. I'm thinking it will become something the state will probably end up doing from a regional level or stand point eventually, crossing over a few suburban county lines especially since it seems to have a hard time passing on a local county level. I think in most ways it's more about funding and where the money will come from than just up right rejecting public rail transit at this point.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:53 AM

73 posts, read 115,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post

Entertainment aside, Nashville is at least another 15 years of solid growth to join the tier of present-day Denver, and at least 20 years behind present-day Minneapolis or San Diego. Realistically, Nashville in 2030 will be like Charlotte of 2020.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:15 AM

700 posts, read 421,293 times
Quote:
Last point is the key.

I don't think Amazon will have much of an effect on New York besides the neighborhoods it is in.

New York has a massive economy, one of the largest in the world, so the addition of a satellite corporate office will hardly turn NYC upside down.

Peoples obsession with Amazon on here is a bit strange to me. I have spoken to some of my colleagues in New York and they didn't even know Amazon picked a winner. In any other US city that would not be the case.
Exactly, which only makes the decision so much smarter because in the big apple people will exclusively blame Amazon like Seattle did or other cities attempting to in order to not allow Amazon to set up shop.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:26 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Amazon chosen cities New York, Northern Virginia/DC area and Nashville. How will these Cities/Metro's shape up, change in the next 10 to 20 Years, any predictions?? Population Growth, housing prices, infrastructure, changes, etc. Will there be min to no change/effect or do you think it will have a major effect? How will they compare to other Cities in their state and or even region. Will it help these regions as a whole? Now that these Cities have the prize, what will they look like in 10 to 20 years?

https://www.investopedia.com/news/am...ter-nashville/
No significant change over the past whatsoever, for all three of these areas.

What should happen is a change in infrastructure, but we all know how that goes.

Of course it will benefit the region as a whole. It will benefit those people that are in a position to take advantage of what Amazon has to offer. Those with the qualifications to work there, and those that actually want to work there. It will not change life much for anyone else. We're talking about areas where a person in IT or computer engineering should have their pick of jobs to choose from, not some place with a poor economy where a job making $10 an hour is a big deal.

This isn't the past. It isn't General Motors, or Firestone, or Boeing, or any of those things. That era has passed. This is just a company finding what they believe to be the best city that can handle the influx. If Amazon wanted to make a revolutionary change for a local economy they could have chosen towns like Detroit, Youngstown, or maybe Dayton, OH. Those towns are hurting and can use the jobs. Particularly a town like Dayton that is down to an Air Force base and never did recover from NCR leaving. Then we would have something to talk about. But Nashville, Northern Virginia and Queens? Isn't the rent already high in these cities? Haven't they grown year over year consistently for some time now? For several decades?

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised by this.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 AM

This is an interesting article as to what this will do for these cities branding.. https://www.curbed.com/2018/11/13/18...on-va-branding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City