Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 AM

126 posts, read 143,210 times

Advertisements

Nashville is so box office that Amazon may have made up a division just to come there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill..._news_headline

Last edited by QuinnMill; 01-11-2019 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 AM

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeOntarioLiving View Post
Cities like Atlanta, Boston, DC and Dallas have projects that make that complex look dwarf in comparison. A lot of people in these cities didnt want Amazon because there was a plethora of development already happening. I cant peak for Atlanta, Dallas or DC .. but I know Boston has too much going on right now and an increasingly scary housing crisis. Almost glad Suffolk downs didn't get this, so now the development can see 10,000 new housing units. Since the Nov announcement, 3 major companies have announced relocation of HQ here, Wayfair announced a major expansion and Amazon/Verizon/Google/Boeing&Apple&CitiGroup all leased atleast 75% of a major building U/C. HQ2 would have done more harm then good here. Also Miami has that Skyrise Miami, so that comment really doesnt hold true.

Nashville Im glad to see get this, because its such a dynamic, growing city with a great downtown and nightlife scene. Im rooting for more companies to get pulled here because its such an awesome city.

Umm hmmph.

They didn't want Amazon yet they still threw their hats in the ring.

Last edited by QuinnMill; 01-11-2019 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 05:44 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,401,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post
Nashville is so box office that Amazon made up a division just to come there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill..._news_headline

Isn’t that pretty standard language for a fluff peice in a local newspaper? If you really think they decided to make up a new division just to be in Nashville..... I’m sorry.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:06 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,481,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Isn’t that pretty standard language for a fluff peice in a local newspaper? If you really think they decided to make up a new division just to be in Nashville..... I’m sorry.

Now I have to agree with this one.. It took some serious planning to come up with 5,000 jobs that's paying what they are paying and an operations center but it is possible they had Nashville and may be a few other cities in mind with the creation of it.. Regardless the favor went to Nashville. Something special about the city caught their eye and I totally get it.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Now I have to agree with this one.. It took some serious planning to come up with 5,000 jobs that's paying what they are paying and an operations center but it is possible they had Nashville and may be a few other cities in mind with the creation of it.. Regardless the favor went to Nashville. Something special about the city caught their eye and I totally get it.

Well they're not paying anyone yet. They haven't even hired 1% of the center's staff. Who knows whether they planned it or not? From what I understand they didn't mention a "Center of Excellence" before or during the HQ2 selection process. It could have been a we can't miss out on Nashville thought process so let's put something there. But alas it's done and they will be moving into at least two newly constructed towers in a twelve tower complex soon.

Last edited by QuinnMill; 01-11-2019 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 09:20 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times
It's an operations center. That is quite a bit different from what LIC and DC are getting. Good news, but not in any way comparable if you are looking at level of skill. Most likely since it's an ops center, it had to do with location, price, and maybe incentives. There are a thousand ops centers in the major metro areas of the US from tons of companies - different ballgame though when determining where to put it. If Amazon continues to grow, then it wouldn't be surprising to see them opening up more of what they planned for Nashville but in other places - more regional.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It's an operations center. That is quite a bit different from what LIC and DC are getting. Good news, but not in any way comparable if you are looking at level of skill. Most likely since it's an ops center, it had to do with location, price, and maybe incentives. There are a thousand ops centers in the major metro areas of the US from tons of companies - different ballgame though when determining where to put it. If Amazon continues to grow, then it wouldn't be surprising to see them opening up more of what they planned for Nashville but in other places - more regional.

Average salary is $150K. These are not drone jobs.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,953,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post
Average salary is $150K. These are not drone jobs.
That's interesting, but it's still different types of jobs. But that's good for Nashville regardless of what type of job. For that location, that's a good salary for sure.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That's interesting, but it's still different types of jobs. But that's good for Nashville regardless of what type of job. For that location, that's a good salary for sure.

Yeah, they won't have to do a Manhattan by living 3 or 4 deep in a studio.apartment.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:55 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Central location, low COL, willing to give tax break. FedEX is in Memphis as well. Logistics hub makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City