Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Nightlife?
Nashville 26 37.68%
San Diego 25 36.23%
Dallas 18 26.09%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:08 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,708,857 times

Advertisements

Which of these three cities do you think has the best nightlife and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:41 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
What type of nightlife. Bars clubs grills. Night club districts? Live music, dance bars, hip hop, jazz country. What are you looking for.

Dallas and San Diego has more nightlife listed than Nashville.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
What type of nightlife. Bars clubs grills. Night club districts? Live music, dance bars, hip hop, jazz country. What are you looking for.

Dallas and San Diego has more nightlife listed than Nashville.
I was just curious what people thought all around. I just got back from Nashville and the nightlife was really impressive to me. Broadway was fun for a night but there were a lot of other cool areas and so many great bars and venues to see live music across the city. San Diego and Dallas are two other sunbelt cities I’ve experienced and I was curious how people compared them all.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:11 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I've been to Dallas and Nashville within the past couple of years. I was in San Diego about 20 years ago, so definitely not recently, but did go out and it was fun.

Comparing just to Dallas, Nashville has less options I would say, since Dallas is larger. However, the places I went to in Dallas were good, just not as dynamic or bustling as Nashville's. I've never been a big fan of Dallas, personally, in general, so I would never choose to go there for nightlife at all. Many other cities have better options.

But, back to Nashville, I do think it punches well above its size for nightlife, bar/restaurant options, and overall dynamic energy of the nightlife. Being Music City USA, as well as the hot "In city" in the US right now, a lot of people visit there and it's a dynamic spot with new choices popping up constantly.

Nashville is a good nightlife city on the whole, I think.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I was just curious what people thought all around. I just got back from Nashville and the nightlife was really impressive to me. Broadway was fun for a night but there were a lot of other cool areas and so many great bars and venues to see live music across the city. San Diego and Dallas are two other sunbelt cities I’ve experienced and I was curious how people compared them all.
Being Black and gay. I enjoyed nightlife in Dallas. I haven't experienced any of the nightlife in San Diego but some brag on it others don't. I personally don't enjoy nightlife in Nashville. I find it very limited. If you enjoyed it, you probably wouldn't like the same thing I like or from a totally different demographic or have different expectation of nightlife. That's why I asked what specific you were looking for. I understand Nashville has good live music of all kinds. The total number of options are greater in DFW or SD. Last call in bars is 2 am in Dallas. Nashville is 3am. Not sure about San Diego. Nashville is known for its nightlife more so then Dallas or San Diego.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:53 PM

422 posts, read 396,174 times
Although Nashville does have a nice bar scene, it's pretty hard to top San Diego's Gas Lamp District.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsaeed View Post
Although Nashville does have a nice bar scene, it's pretty hard to top San Diego's Gas Lamp District.
This is the part that kills me on CD. People look at districts and determine what the nightlife is like in a particular place. I am not denying that San Diego doesn't have good nightlife but isn't it good to look past the Gas Lamp District. Just asking not attacking. That is like forming an opinion on a city by driving through one particular part of town.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I've been to Dallas and Nashville within the past couple of years. I was in San Diego about 20 years ago, so definitely not recently, but did go out and it was fun.

Comparing just to Dallas, Nashville has less options I would say, since Dallas is larger. However, the places I went to in Dallas were good, just not as dynamic or bustling as Nashville's. I've never been a big fan of Dallas, personally, in general, so I would never choose to go there for nightlife at all. Many other cities have better options.

But, back to Nashville, I do think it punches well above its size for nightlife, bar/restaurant options, and overall dynamic energy of the nightlife. Being Music City USA, as well as the hot "In city" in the US right now, a lot of people visit there and it's a dynamic spot with new choices popping up constantly.

Nashville is a good nightlife city on the whole, I think.
I'm not sure I'd say Nashville is the "in city" of the moment, at least not on a national scale. I live on the West Coast and when I told people I was going to Nashville for a vacation they generally seemed surprised. On this side of the country I think many people still associate Nashville with country music and that's about it. I had to explain that it's a growing, thriving city that offers great nightlife, food, and other attractions. It seems that in the Northeast, Midwest, and obviously throughout the South people are a lot more well informed about what's happening in Nashville and it's on a lot more people's radars as a destination. On the West Coast not so much.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:18 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I'm not sure I'd say Nashville is the "in city" of the moment, at least not on a national scale. I live on the West Coast and when I told people I was going to Nashville for a vacation they generally seemed surprised. On this side of the country I think many people still associate Nashville with country music and that's about it. I had to explain that it's a growing, thriving city that offers great nightlife, food, and other attractions. It seems that in the Northeast, Midwest, and obviously throughout the South people are a lot more well informed about what's happening in Nashville and it's on a lot more people's radars as a destination. On the West Coast not so much.
It sounds like they have been living under a rock.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:42 PM

422 posts, read 396,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This is the part that kills me on CD. People look at districts and determine what the nightlife is like in a particular place. I am not denying that San Diego doesn't have good nightlife but isn't it good to look past the Gas Lamp District. Just asking not attacking. That is like forming an opinion on a city by driving through one particular part of town.
When we talk about a particular area which provides night life activities, how could we not compare let’s say Broadway in Nashville to Gas Lamp in San Diego? Each are entertainment and nightlife hubs of their respective cities. I’m not sure why you found my comment so offensive, but the fact remains that is where the majority of San Diego’s night life is concentrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City