Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I wasn't sure if anyone felt the same as I did about that. The French established New Orleans. Miami is heavily Caribbean Latin. NYC/Chicago are heavily Italian and Irish. I get Boston is too, but they're a little different. Philly is too, and they're between Chicago/NYC and Boston. But yes, the people who helped a lot of the east coast cities flourish are often from parts of the world that don't look down on those who drink. A lot of Florida, as well at Atlantic City NJ, was established for the sole purpose of vacationing. Those that settled the west were not as often the sociable, big city people of the northeast, but purposely left the dense big cities to be alone and work in their own farms/ranches.
I don’t know - San Francisco was basically founded as a giant party town as a result of the gold rush and had a strong Italian and Spanish influence. SF may now be Exhibit A in terms of the elitist and cliquish mentality I was talking about (which negatively affects the party vibe) but it’s still one of the most concentrated bar cities in the country (it may even be #1 per capita) and you’d be hard pressed to say it doesn’t have a vibrant and prolific bar scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 12:22 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
I don’t know - San Francisco was basically founded as a giant party town as a result of the gold rush and had a strong Italian and Spanish influence. SF may now be Exhibit A in terms of the elitist and cliquish mentality I was talking about (which negatively affects the party vibe) but it’s still one of the most concentrated bar cities in the country (it may even be #1 per capita) and you’d be hard pressed to say it doesn’t have a vibrant and prolific bar scene.
Yeah it's sorta the exception to every rule. On paper, it should be awesome. But idk where it went wrong lol

Old 12-26-2018, 12:38 PM

307 posts, read 330,384 times
Quote:
Yeah it's sorta the exception to every rule. On paper, it should be awesome. But idk where it went wrong lol
The huge tech scene in the San Fran and Seattle metros has something to do with it I'm sure..

Old 12-26-2018, 12:41 PM

1,213 posts, read 954,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
The dominate tech scene in the San Fran and Seattle metros has something to do with it I'm sure..
I would imagine the incredibly high cost of living, and the habits/interests of the residents who are able to afford said cost of living, might impact matters as well.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:43 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Agree completely with you ...I’ve learned more about strangers’ lives I’ve met in bars in NYC or East Coast after spending just a drink or two with them than I learned about many of my neighbors who lived next to me for 5, 10 years, longer etc on the West Coast....agree with elitist attitude and “group” get togethers....also found, when I was a bit younger, a phone number from a lady on the East Coast meant you had a date. You had to call to set the day and time but if you set it up for a few days later, it was on...on the West Coast, the number was just the start of games—you had to “phone date” a few times before setting up an actual date and then call to confirm prior to the date that it was still on and/or she might insist on going out as part of a group as opposed to one on one. Don’t miss those days nor did I put up with much of that...lol...also, I found many more career oriented/professional women back East whom I clicked better with (professionally, socially, physically). Part of my issue with SF was that I just didn’t find as many physically attractive women there as in other cities—I never drank just for the sake of getting drunk and one factor why I’ve never considered it a great party city/what’s missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post

The biggest aspect to this honestly that I’ve experienced is that the West Coast has a more elitist attitude and is far cliquier. I was just in Nashville for the first time and was amazed at how friendly and outgoing everyone was at the nightlife establishments, even with people they didn’t know. Everyone is just sort of partying together. I’ve noticed this even in larger cities like Chicago and NYC. As long as you’re not in the super hipster neighborhoods people are far more inclusive and willing to party with strangers. It creates a different environment and energy.

On the West Coast you tend to go out with people you know and not really expand too much beyond that while you’re out. In the Northeast, Midwest, and especially the South you may go out with certain people but you’re also very likely to end up partying with complete strangers in the mix as well. To me, that and the greater focus on health in the West Coast are way bigger factors than last call.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=xrR30tZ2si0

Last edited by elchevere; 12-26-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 12:44 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
I still think it’s a fun town to drink in but there’s no doubt it’s gotten worse since the late 90s and early 2000s. The elitism and cliquishnish I was talking about is a big part of it, but honestly that’s been around for at least 25 years.

I think the second tech boom in the mid-late 2000s - The rise of Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. in nearby Silicon Valley - is where things went awry. The city became less about partying and more about spending exorbitant amounts of money on high end experimental cuisine and cocktails. In addition, the city was flooded far moreso than before by more introverted male tech engineers. The male-female ratio is pretty abysmal. And then you blend that with the existing elitist/cliquey vibe and it hurt the scene there.

That said, i still think it’s a great drinking town because of the vibrant bar scene and high concentration of nightlife establishments. It’s just not anywhere near what it could be and it does shut down too early.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:43 PM

I mean there's no denying that Atlanta's foot traffic is worse than SF and DC. But I've never gone out in Atlanta and I'm betting the nightlife is better there than SF. I mean not to stereotype the demographics of the two cities, but...yeah...I wouldn't be too worried about losing money at that bet.

Last edited by JMT; 12-26-2018 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 03:32 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
I mean there's no denying that Atlanta's foot traffic is worse than SF and DC. But I've never gone out in Atlanta and I'm betting the nightlife is better there than SF. I mean not to stereotype the demographics of the two cities, but...yeah...I wouldn't be too worried about losing money at that bet.

Do tell, what demographic differences could you possibly be referencing here?

Old 12-26-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Do tell, what demographic differences could you possibly be referencing here?
Atlanta has a certain demographic that is much more outgoing, fun and lively that I tend to get along better with and love going out at night with. Obviously these are generalizations and not every single individual from every demographic is the exact same way, but Atlanta's prominent demographic is a lot more fun and outgoing as a whole than SF's prominent demographic. I'd love to go out in Atlanta; I'm sure it's a lot more fun than going out in SF!

Old 12-26-2018, 05:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Being from LA, I didn't know what I was missing till I left. Now I have no idea how people actually enjoy a night out in CA. It's never as fun in SD, LA, or SF as pretty much any other big city.
You're kidding right? I'm from the east coast and find nights out in San Francisco, Seattle and especially LA far more to my liking. In fact I find the energy on another level in a 24hr span better in the west coast cities and a big factor is the weather.. I see more people out jogging or at the park or sitting in outdoor cafes. I find the people far more friendly too.
When it comes to a night out for many of us it doesn't mean going from bar to bar and getting drunk. Is that what young people do today? Nightlife to me means heading to a great restaurant, hearing live music, jazz preferably, having a few drinks, going to the movies. And who cares if last call is two or three am. So what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City