Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 05:40 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

Maybe the reason some/many East Coast athletes (at least in the Northeast) are not as visible during the dead of winter or summer out on the streets in public view is because they might be inside a temperature controlled gym??...plenty of people out and about on the streets jogging before work and after sunset/work in Miami when it is not as warm.

For my money, the most energetic group of people who worked hard AND partied hard that I knew were my buddies on Wall Street....don’t know how they did it (ok, actually I do...lol).

Last edited by elchevere; 12-30-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 05:59 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
At a prior company we had a lot of employees who would rotate into our Detroit location from both the NYC area and from LA. I wouldn't say that the group from LA had less energy than the NYC group; they just used their time differently.

The people from LA seemed more morning oriented and got up early to go to the gym or go for a run. They were more interested in getting their work done and going home to do their own thing rather than spending a lot of time at work. The NYC group tended to come into work later and stay until all hours then go out to the restaurants/bars after work with co-workers. There was some tension at first since the NYC group --or at least some of them--saw the LA group as a bunch of 'slackers' because they put 8-9 hours in rather than 10+ hours in.

The LA group was very much about doing their own thing and while they would hang out with co-workers once in a while, they definitely believed in work-life balance. They just wanted to be given general directions and be left alone to work. The NYC group tended to be more into having meetings--this might have just been the company?

I don't find anything wrong with either group, it was just regional differences. I also didn't see less energy out of either group.
Bingo! The gym, and nature are huge in SoCal. I can guarantee if the OP wants to find "energy" they can definitely find it in the gym at all hours of the day. It's called LA fitness for a reason.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Maybe the reason some/many East Coast athletes (at least in the Northeast) are not as visible during the dead of winter or summer out on the streets in public view is because they might be inside a temperature controlled gym??...plenty of people out and about on the streets jogging before work and after sunset/work in Miami when it is not as warm.

For my money, the most energetic group of people who worked hard AND partied hard that I knew were my buddies on Wall Street....don’t know how they did it (ok, actually I do...lol).
Sounds like my kind of people... Wink Wink lmao

Old 12-30-2018, 06:35 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Quote:

Coca-cola. They drink a lot of soda

Old 12-31-2018, 12:19 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Coca-cola. They drink a lot of soda
More the "Coca" than the "Cola", I suspect.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:00 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
More the "Coca" than the "Cola", I suspect.
Drugs in NYC are so expensive and low-mid grade.

No one does drugs like the west coast.

All the dope is from Mexico, not cut or stepped on in Dallas or Nashville. The majority of weed is grown on the west coast, and we have rhe largest concentration of hippies still making LSD. Not that fake wanna be 2ci East Coast people bug out on.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Drugs in NYC are so expensive and low-mid grade.

No one does drugs like the west coast.

All the dope is from Mexico, not cut or stepped on in Dallas or Nashville. The majority of weed is grown on the west coast, and we have rhe largest concentration of hippies still making LSD. Not that fake wanna be 2ci East Coast people bug out on.
I was gonna mention this, you have to work on wall street to afford it over there. lol

Old 12-31-2018, 01:12 PM

2,594 posts, read 4,657,226 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
No I don’t have time for both before work, but today is Sunday. I do go surfing before work most mornings. I mark on a wall calendar every time I surf, ski, play golf, go for a run, or go sailing. Most years, with the exception of some injury plagued years, I’m surfing 300+ times, so yeah I do get up early. For the record I did nearly two years once getting in the water every morning no matter how I felt or the weather. Oh man there were some rough mornings, lol, but it was important to me so I did it. Like my dad used to say “any excuse will work” for not doing something.

I never said there aren’t healthy people in other cities, I was commenting on how if you didn’t stay out so late partying, like so many are commenting on, you could find the time by getting up early. I will say as someone who has gone for early runs in NYC, Boston, and DC there aren’t as many active people, especially early in the morning. I know weather has a lot to do with it, but even if you compare nice weather times of the year there’s still a noticeable difference. Here’s a good example, I played Torrey Pines today and the overwhelming majority, including my foursome, were walking. Whenever I’ve played in the Midwest or East Coast the overwhelming majority are in carts. I know some courses the tee boxes are far apart and carts are required by the course, but I’m speaking of courses that aren’t for my examples.

You’re the one that said life happens and used it as a reason why you no longer go out or excercise, and walking to work or dinner is a good substitute. I merely pointed out that if it’s important you find the time.

You know whats funny being from the DC area is that when I was in San Diego and Hunington Beach the grown folks would be on their way to the beach with a surfboard in their arm with the same look as somebody trying to catch the train. Its the same hasty look

Old 12-31-2018, 01:46 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
You know whats funny being from the DC area is that when I was in San Diego and Hunington Beach the grown folks would be on their way to the beach with a surfboard in their arm with the same look as somebody trying to catch the train. Its the same hasty look
Quote:
Allow me to bore you with my life story, as an ex NY’er who moved to CA and lived there his entire adult life up until 2 years ago and then moved back East. Currently retired and living in Brickell (Miami).

Born and raised on Long Island. Got my first taste of CA in 1976 when I got a head start on my college education by taking a summer course at UCLA after my junior year of high school. Decided I wanted to move to CA first and foremost because of the weather—not because of energy level, space, or anything else.

Accepted my first job following grad school with a SF based company. Lived there 3 years in the mid 80’s. My favorite period of my 33 year stint in CA. Got along best with the people here, as SF—like NY—is a classy, cosmopolitan, sophisticated city and the people were mostly down to earth.

Fast forward to SoCal, where I spent the next 17 years in OC and then 13 in San Diego. OC, quite the contrast from SF, was a cookie cutter collection of master planned communities that had me heading up to LA to socialize on weekends (was required to work out of an office in OC, otherwise would have moved to Westside of LA)..when I was given the opportunity to work from home, I chose to relocate to downtown San Diego figuring it would develop into the next great warm weather urban core. First few years were great until I outgrew the area and realized, in spite of some growth, it would never become a sophisticated, cosmopolitan city. Hence, my move to Brickell which is what I had envisioned SD might become but never did and most likely never will. Did not have any desire to return to a suburban lifestyle.

To repeat, I originally moved out to CA for the weather. Met nice professional types in SF. Initially enjoyed the less competitiveness of SoCal and individual freedom to do what you want without anyone caring, only to long for a return to the East Coast lifestyle complete with faster pace, more vibrant nightlife (talking great restaurants and nice bars with professionals—not clubs), comraderie and less PC/more directness of the people, diverse/international flavor, and extremely walkable/compact and fulfilling, urban core with warm weather.
How are you an ex-New Yorker but born in Long Island?

Old 12-31-2018, 01:50 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
I moved away at 24 and haven’t lived there since....technically, 22 if you count the 2 years of Business School in which I spent most of that time in Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
How are you an ex-New Yorker but born in Long Island?

Last edited by elchevere; 12-31-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City