Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2019, 02:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
East for Italy and Spain to be hopping all night none of them work during the day
Sure, bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 03:36 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Sure, bud
It’s a joke because Spain’s Unemployment rate is still double Digits (and like 25% in under 35s)

Old 02-08-2019, 06:24 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I haven't been to Istanbul or East Asia. And my one time in Tel Aviv I managed to be there during one of the rocketfests. But in my travels through Europe, yes NYC is tame. Even in small cities like Bologna Italy, the 24/7 vibe is pretty apparent. Madrid is the closest I've experienced to a 24/7 city. It makes NYC look relatively sleepy.
Though New York is still huge and one of the most active cities on Earth, its party heyday is over. The 1970s-early 90s was a different story. NYC nightlife is tame by comparison to its former self and many other cities around the world.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM

307 posts, read 241,867 times
The energy is high here in LA so I can't speak for the rest of the cities. I never get that laid back stuff that out of towners talk about when they visit. But then again when out of towners actually move here all that laid back talk gets thrown out the window when their bills/rent/mortage is due. Maybe its the good weather that has them thinking that sh*t is sweet out here.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googgo View Post
I HEARD its because of the movie industry. Most movie studios open at 6am so the movie industry want people in early so they can be at work at the studio (which is LA most profitable business) with a full night sleep instead of being out all night then going to work. This is what someone told me so I don't know if its true. I was told this is the real answer but you will never hear a California gov officials say this so basically to the Ca gov would rather people smoke weed 24 hours better a day vs drinking alcohol at a bar at 1:31am
What you "heard"...was BS. lol

Old 02-13-2019, 02:21 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
I don't know but I bet it is because last call is typically 2 AM for most of the Pacific cities.

On the Atlantic basin you have Miami, which is late night. You have New York, which is late night. You may even have one or two others with extended hours as well.

That's not really something that you have available to you on the Pacific, you have to go into the interiors of the landmass to a place like Las Vegas to get your super late night fix in the West. There's also less built up infrastructure in the West than there is in the East, it may "visibly" seem like less people are out because you see less pedestrian activity or a lesser volume of transit users as compared to their counterparts in the East, giving the sometimes false impression that there are less people out than there actually are. It doesn't help that most rail based transit systems in the West typically shut down earlier than some of their counterparts in the East.

I'm sure if you add up these factors and perhaps numerous others up that it will give off the impression that the West is quieter and more sedated than is the East but perhaps reality falls somewhere else entirely. Having been to both areas and covered a lot of ground in both areas in comparison, I feel the East and West are roughly on par. For example, I've found Seattle to be more active late into the night than Boston, a city that is a good deal larger and denser than Seattle. I'm sure if it came to tit-for-tat that both areas, the East versus West, would exchange near equal blows, so I'll spare myself the over-analyzation and leave it at this.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 02-13-2019 at 02:36 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 12:36 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarino View Post
What are other high energy late night cities on the east coast outside of NYC and Miami? I need a vacation
DC and Philadelphia. 3AM close in DC. Many after hours spots in Philly

Old 10-06-2021, 08:26 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
West Coasters do everything earlier, including office hours for example. Once you factor the local norms, staying up past 3:00 am on the East Coast doesn't seem as "energetic" as 2:00 on the West Coast.

Like a lot of us are watching the same baseball games these nights. On the East Coast, an extremely important game between two East Coast teams didn't even START until 8:00 and probably went past 11:00. Some people even watch their traveling teams in the 10:00 pm to 1:00 am slot -- regular office workers!

On the West Coast, morning rush hour starts to decline at 8:00 am, and we're having dinner at 6:00. It's just very different. In construction, onsite workers show up around 6:30 am and the real work is 7:00 to 3:30 most often, because the evening rush hour starts by 4:00.

Should "energy" credit go to staying up later more than getting up earlier? Why?

Old 10-06-2021, 08:29 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Boston is dead at night, outside of some college student hangouts.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:59 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
West Coasters do everything earlier, including office hours for example. Once you factor the local norms, staying up past 3:00 am on the East Coast doesn't seem as "energetic" as 2:00 on the West Coast.

Like a lot of us are watching the same baseball games these nights. On the East Coast, an extremely important game between two East Coast teams didn't even START until 8:00 and probably went past 11:00. Some people even watch their traveling teams in the 10:00 pm to 1:00 am slot -- regular office workers!

On the West Coast, morning rush hour starts to decline at 8:00 am, and we're having dinner at 6:00. It's just very different. In construction, onsite workers show up around 6:30 am and the real work is 7:00 to 3:30 most often, because the evening rush hour starts by 4:00.

Should "energy" credit go to staying up later more than getting up earlier? Why?
Other than live TV I don’t see a huge difference. 5:30-6:30 is certainly “dinner time” on the east coast.

I don’t know anyone who commutes who is out the door after 8:00.

I think it has more to do where you are in the time zone. Like Sunrise is really really late in Detroit or Indianapolis vs Boston or Portland (ME)

LA is pretty Far East in the timezone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City