Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 05:44 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Seattle has a more active CBD. That’s literally where it ends. Atlanta is more fast paced and very active.
That’s backwards. Seattle CBD like most CBDs is largely dead after business hours. The action is in places like Capitol Hill, Belltown, Market St or Fremont. Don’t mistake bad driving for fast paced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 05:50 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Depends what you consider the CBD. Maybe phrase it as a larger and more active greater downtown area. The Financial District is dead at night as the big ones typically are.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:54 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
West Coast people are still beholden to East Coast time, because North America is beholden to the Eastern Time Zone. That means a lot of people getting into work between 6-7AM.

The flipside is that work's done between 2-4PM, which gives plenty of time to go outside in the summer, and plenty of time for happy hour in all seasons. However, if you're getting up between 5-6 every day, you're probably also going to bed between 9-10, unless it's the weekend and you want to push it to midnight.

So people entertain themselves with outdoor activities and happy hours at the brewery, rather than dressing to the nines and hitting the club.
That’s just not true.

I saw a study and basically NYC was late, Honolulu was early and everyone else’s median start time was basically the same +/- 15 minutes are more more like with big cities being later and smaller ones being early

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethi...ork-early/amp/

Chicago is 8:02, Seattle 7:57, Charlotte 7:58, SF 8:17, Boston 8:11, LA 8:05, Philly 8:05 Minneapolis 7:54.

The US average is 7:53

The only ones really early are military towns.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:19 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozener View Post
In my experience it always feels like areas like Seattle, the Bay Area, and LA seem to have a "lower energy" vibe than areas like the Northeast corridor, Atlanta, and the big FL cities. Has anyone else felt this? Why does this seem to be? They also all seem to "close down" earlier in the night. Is this indirectly due to the time zones- east coast cities are used to staying up later for national events than west coast cities are?
I think the NE corridor cities do have a faster pace overall, but don't know that is the same as "high energy". I still think the West Coast cities have good energy. LA has good energy in many areas, but as someone earlier mentioned it's very nodal and spread out. Therefore it doesn't give off that dense centralized urban core activity feel bustling with transit options like NYC, Philly, or DC. Boston probably has better day time foot traffic in it's most urban spots, but as a city idk if I would classify it as "higher energy" city than LA/SF overall which includes nightlife. Clubs in DC close later than LA, and Philly closes at the same time as LA. Both DC and Philly have higher daytime energy IMO than LA, maybe on same par with SF.

Atlanta and Miami are both great at nightlife. Miami Beach specifically has a certain vibrancy to it that you feel. As actual cities (especially daytime activity) with people moving and shaking across town hopping in and out of taxis, using PT, joggers, bicyclists, tourists etc., I can't say definitively that they have more energy than LA, SF, or Seattle. But Atlanta and Miami do have on par or better nightlife than those depending on who you ask.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:04 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
Sorry, we do everything that you do on the west coast, but we STILL party and enjoy life, whether it be nightlife or otherwise. Don't try and make excuses for your lame ass nightlife and overall boring cities out there... Just own up to it, it's ok!

Different strokes for different folks... I lived in snoresville (San Diego) for 5 years, and it wasn't for me, but I can see how many others might like it.. I might enjoy it more when I reach retirement age and I go to bed by 9 pm.

You should also travel abroad more often, it'll give you some perspective. Check out Spain -- the people there are super fit, they eat fresh food, they're very outdoorsy...AND they party their ass off til 7 am.

The west coast is just severely lacking in this department, own up to it, don't try and make excuses for it..
I'm from the east coast and moved out west and that has been my experience. And I've been to Europe multiple times, but Spanish lifestyles have literally nothing to do with this topic.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:02 AM

365 posts, read 229,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
Seattle has a more active CBD. That’s literally where it ends. Atlanta is more fast paced and very active.
Seattle's most active areas aren't in the CBD, though. Capitol Hill, Belltown, Ballard, etc. all have more going on than the CBD.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:21 AM

256 posts, read 155,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That’s just not true.

I saw a study and basically NYC was late, Honolulu was early and everyone else’s median start time was basically the same +/- 15 minutes are more more like with big cities being later and smaller ones being early

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethi...ork-early/amp/

Chicago is 8:02, Seattle 7:57, Charlotte 7:58, SF 8:17, Boston 8:11, LA 8:05, Philly 8:05 Minneapolis 7:54.

The US average is 7:53

The only ones really early are military towns.
It's a shame that wasn't broken down by job type per location.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:04 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
It's a shame that wasn't broken down by job type per location.
I think one factor these west coast people miss, if fir every person in Seattle that works early to align with the East there is someone in Boston that works early to align with Europe.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:55 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
This is purely anecdotal and from my experience, but I will use the “Starbucks” example to highlight a difference I noticed:

On the East Coast, by the time you get to the cashier the vast majority of customers already know what they will order….if you are one of these “laid back” Thoreau or Socrates types who is in deep thought or take your sweet time wondering what you want to order only when it’s finally your turn to order, people behind you in line will start grumbling and/or the cashier (maybe not at a Starbucks but elsewhere) will shout “next” to the more decisive person in line….out West people are more accepting of only starting to give thought as to what they will order at the cashier (vs being more aggressive by thinking ahead while they were waiting on line the previous 2-5 minutes).

Making the effort to expend energy by giving thought in advance = being considerate of others, not just yourself. What I like are the safety nets in place back East—you will be called out (again, expending energy v letting it go) and corrected by your parents; if that fails, your friends; if that fails, your peers; if that fails, strangers.

Last edited by elchevere; 11-05-2021 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-05-2021, 10:14 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
The biggest difference is we wait IN lines, not on them! (While we're at it, not that anyone asked, a "jerk" on the West Coast is rude, not stupid. And it's ok to wear jeans to the office. And if we're the Far West then you're the Far East.)

We certainly don't grumble out loud about the dimwit in front of us in line, unless it gets out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City