Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 05:06 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times

Advertisements

Rent a temporary place. Figure out where you're working, if it's generally one place. Then use that to narrow it down, using either direct transit routes (mostly buses) or walking. Lots of people walk to work in Seattle, since it's fairly walkable and because many choose not to have cars. At that price you might be talking south, or a ways north.

As for rain, it does rain a lot from about October to April, but it's rarely enough to get me wet on a walk to work. In a 10-minute walk, there might be precipitation 25-30% of the time in the winter, a wild guess. But even then it's nearly all a light drizzle, and only a few days really get me wet in that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 05:09 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
Thanks guys!

I grew up in Tennessee so I am used to high humidity and high temps most of the year. I generally don't have my ac on for more than 15 minutes at a time unless it is over 90 outside. I prefer to let the breeze come in through the window.

Vegas

I am getting mixed reviews about this one. The heat probably won't bother me because I grew up in a mostlt humid and sunny place. The only difference might be the lack of trees. I also like to be able to go to the park frequwntly and the idea of riding an ATV or dirt bike in the desert is very appealing. I think the lower wages can be offset with overtime. And working 10 or 12 hour shifts I would still not have to work more than 4 days a week to get overtime and be good. I also understand real estate is cheaper there too? But how would car expenses go?

St. Petersburg

I understand there are hurricanes here. But how do people deal with the wage losses (I'm assuming) that huricanes can cause? And how does a middle class person deal with them if they don't have the experience to properly board up their houses during the hurricane?

Seattle

I'm not sure about Seattle being as bad as nyc. It at least has no income taxes. Nyc has taxes on everything. It can't be worse than that even with its high cost of living. Plus, unlike upstate ny, i think the more rural areas of wa state could offer a really good living. Or at least, that's what I assume.

I don't think $1000 for rent (it might be my upper limit though) is going to break the bank for me. It might mean one 60 hour week to make sure I have rent and then some additional funds. But the option of public transport is good in the short run too. The scenery I've seen is gorgeous. I'm not sure how I'd feel being in an area where it rains a lot. I've never even lived in a place remotely close to it so it's hard to say. I do tolerate the rain a lot better than snow/ice.

Where is a reputable site for me to get a good idea for rents. Any place?
Actually I think the Seattle climate is much worse than NYC. More comparable to Rochester though with less snow and not as cold. Same gray though.

The difference in average income between Seattle and Las Vegas is about 12%. The cost of living difference is over 40%. Las Vegas pays better than most of FL and is quite similar to places like Dallas. It is not a low paying area.

I grew up in Louisville KY. You will not have any trouble with the heat. There are lots of trees here. My place has about 20 of which 8 are palms. Towering Mesquites and Oaks. The forest is only 45 minutes away on Mt. Charleston...which is also snow capped most of the year and has a ski slope.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:06 PM

606 posts, read 419,782 times
I used to walk all the time in my hometown, although certain areas were only walk friendly. I think when I figure things out the best thing is to take advantage of the less income taxes to save and put towards education. But that's after establishing residency.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:40 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,162,676 times
Tampa and St. Pete surely have a lot to offer in natural beauty as well (beaches and lush greenery), tons to do in that central area of Florida, and the cost of living is pretty low as well. Seattle seems to just cost too much.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:35 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Tampa and St. Pete surely have a lot to offer in natural beauty as well (beaches and lush greenery), tons to do in that central area of Florida, and the cost of living is pretty low as well. Seattle seems to just cost too much.
I agree with this

Old 02-09-2019, 05:47 AM

117 posts, read 128,070 times
I'd avoid both Seattle and St Pete equally for my own reasons. St Pete for the facade it carries.. sure its cheap but many bad bad people there. Its ruder than NYC no lie and many people are trying to scam.

The Seattle freeze thing people talk about is alive and well in St Petersburg now.. maybe more Seattle natives took it with them when looking for a cheaper city to be in. Seems they also brought more rain too and overcast to TB as well. So ya those 2 cities are out, one is cheap but tons of bad problems for the beauty it can have, the other is too expensive, Seattle and seems to suffer from the same thing, just in reverse where StP has more sun but the depression rate is high. The suicide rate is close to how it was in Seattle anyhow. Know how many people jump off the skyway bridge, ever research it?

Vegas wins out of all these I'd say for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City