Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 01:14 PM

606 posts, read 419,379 times

Advertisements

So I really can't narrow it down to 2 choices but I am looking to move from nyc into one of these states sometime mid to late 2019. I work as an LPN and currently make $25/hr. So I am looking for similar wages or even more. I also am considering these places because there isn't income tax and am losing around 1000 a month.

I am in the process of getting a driver's license so my driving record won't be too much really. But I'm not sure if there's such a place for new driver's to get used to driving. I'm a female in her mid-20s and I'm looking for a good arts community as well. I'd also want my own studio too as well.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 01:46 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Seattle is the one place where you could easily live without a car. But it's also by far the most expensive. You won't avoid taxes here...property taxes (via your landlord if you rent) and sales taxes make up the difference. Another positive would be that nurses are probably in high demand.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:23 PM

I could deal (and am used to) with the sales taxes. I really don't spend that often and apparently you could go to nearby Oregon to avoid that. Thanks for the heads up on the property tax. I am a single female so I am definitely renting. And I've already used those COL calculators and according to them with what I make I should be fine. Seattle isn't as expensive as nyc.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:38 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Seattle is quite expensive, especially if you’re looking for a studio for yourself as opposed to renting with roommates. Even for a studio, be prepared to be looking at rent + utilities + parking ranging close to $2,000 per month.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:12 PM

I've seen areas I could afford around it. I google search studio apartments. It doesn't have to be in Seattle exactly.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:15 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,471 times
Las Vegas wages for LPN's I've seen as high as $35/hr. However Vegas doesn't offer much in public transportation other than the bus system.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle is quite expensive, especially if you’re looking for a studio for yourself as opposed to renting with roommates. Even for a studio, be prepared to be looking at rent + utilities + parking ranging close to $2,000 per month.
That's why a lot of people skip the car.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:21 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That's why a lot of people skip the car.

That's what I like to hear.

It sucks that so many large US cities are functionally suburban

Old 12-29-2018, 12:30 AM

A 2016 article in the Seattle times said that out of tens of thousands of new apartments built recently in the city of Seattle, the parking count averaged 0.6 per unit. Nearly all buildings have fewer spaces than units, and many have none at all.

Of course that's partially self-selecting...the buildings that pencil are the ones with less parking, which are also in places that don't require parking or don't require much, but it also speaks to a culture that doesn't require driving.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:45 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I could deal (and am used to) with the sales taxes. I really don't spend that often and apparently you could go to nearby Oregon to avoid that. Thanks for the heads up on the property tax. I am a single female so I am definitely renting. And I've already used those COL calculators and according to them with what I make I should be fine. Seattle isn't as expensive as nyc.
Well everyone has to spend. Not just on luxury items but household necessities, so in that regard it’s unavoidable. Fortunately groceries are not taxed. And Oregon is not close enough to be able to take advantage of the tax savings on a regular basis. Not usually worth the mileage, unless you have some big ticket items to purchase. I did go down there to make some large purchases a few weeks ago and saved about $100 in sales tax.

If you don’t live in the city you can get a cheaper place. The south sound suburbs will be a better deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City