Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best blighted small city
Camden NJ 27 56.25%
East St.Louis IL 6 12.50%
Gary IN 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:49 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,385,916 times

Advertisements

Andby the way I actually lived in Philly for several months...chose Ardmore over Collinswood in NJ so I am quite familiar with the greater Philly area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 12:57 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,361,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Regarding Givernor Holcomb....hetes a current article...quote from the Governor.. " Im hell bent on helping Gary."

https://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...w6RIMS0-kHMi2U

And I could care less if "youd never live in Indiana"...we will do fine without your esteemed presence. Ypu seemincredibly ignorant of not just Gary...but The Region, the larger Northern Indiana region, and Indiana as a whole. I pray for your benefit that whatever state you live in, it has such relatively clean lean and intelligent government as Indiana.
All I'm saying is that as of now, Gary's future is just a hope. There isn't the develop that Camden is actually witnessing. I think it's wonderful that the governor is so invested in helping a city so in need, and that two companies have already decided to move there. But as of now, it just seems like Camden is ahead of Gary.

As for me saying I'd never live in Indiana, that's because you keep touting Gary's location within the state of Indiana as this major selling feature. It's not to everyone. In the same way NJ doesn't seem to be a selling feature to you, IN is not a selling feature to me. You can't just say that the state that a city is a part of can only be beneficial. There are ups and downs to every state. I have my own reasons for disliking IN, just as many others do, and many others also dislike NJ. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:58 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,361,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Andby the way I actually lived in Philly for several months...chose Ardmore over Collinswood in NJ so I am quite familiar with the greater Philly area.
I never lived in Indiana, but I did live in Louisville, so I regularly got the Indiana news. Albeit more focused on the Southern Indiana region for local news, but plenty of Indiana news for statewide issues.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:48 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,385,916 times
Some of the positives of Gary's lication...say compared to Evanston for example

From Gary you enter a national park along Lake Michigan heading basically for hundreds of miles of coastal beach towns...from Evanston youd have to contend with 1.5 more hours drive each way to make such a drive to the Michigan Coast...those 3 hours are most often hellish Chicago traffic.

Same goes for weekend trip to Grand Rapids, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati , Louisville, and Indy.

In othereords, to me, a native of the North Shire of Chicago, Miller Beach/Gary is the best location in the monster of Chicagoland.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:13 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,897,523 times
I would live in a cave, before I'd live in ESL. My vote would be for Gary, but it would never be a place I would consider living, in reality.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:18 PM

644 posts, read 1,020,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
If you’re a Midwesterner you pick what you’re familiar with, others pick from their areas. Nothing wrong with that it’s fun to learn. Happy New Year 🎆
Mostly true, but I'm from New England.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:21 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,196,286 times
Camden gets my vote. It has a great location, still maintains various amenities, and is seeing arguably the most investment. Gary is seeing improvement, but its location in comparison to downtown Chicago is God awful, and the part of Chicago it's closest to isn't even on the radar in terms of future hot areas.

East St. Louis has a good location immediately across from downtown St. Louis, and downtown St. Louis is finally reaping the benefits of investment that the rest of the central corridor has been hoarding for years, but East St. Louis is many decades away from any true spillover. The wild card for St. Louis, and by extension E. St. Louis, is if the city and the county do merge in 2020. That'll put a renewed focus on downtown St. Louis vs certain county locals.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:24 PM

644 posts, read 1,020,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
One thing I would say is that Camden has a 10 minute ride 24 hour subway into center city Philly

I hope all regain some of their former glory as all were instrumental in helping with the industrial revolution that made the US the power it is today

NJ is dumping a lot of money into Camden it is also flanked by very wealthy suburbs in Jersey and wealthy areas of Philly to the east

literally can see cranes rising from Philly when looking across the river into NJ

I agree with what someone said that Camden will see more progress more quickly

Gary may have the views of Chicago, Camden has great views of Philly as well plus is closer to the DT than the any of the others by miles, with a ten minute subway ride running 24/7
Camden is a lot closer to Center City than I thought (way closer than Gary is to the Loop), I also had no idea it was connected by a 24/7 subway line... Is it an over or underground line? not that it matters, really.

I have nothing against Philly personally, but I grew up in Brookline, MA and a lot of my Uncles had this hatred for Philadelphia that rubbed off on me. So, now that I have given Philly a fair shot and visited several times, I can see why people would choose Camden, Philly is one of the great US cities. It's nearly smack in the middle of the greatest urban area of the US, nothing Gary has can possibly live up to that. As for the cities though, I prefer Chicago over Philadelphia and that's why I chose Gary.. not because I happen to live in Indiana at the moment... as some would surmise.

Last edited by IndieIndy; 01-03-2019 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-03-2019, 04:47 PM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Camden is a lot closer to Center City than I thought (way closer than Gary is to the Loop), I also had no idea it was connected by a 24/7 subway line... Is it an over or underground line? not that it matters, really.
The line opened in 1936 as a short subway connecting downtown Philadelphia with downtown Camden; that line was all underground save where it crossed the Delaware River via the Delaware River (now Ben Franklin) Bridge and was known as the "Bridge Line" as a result.

The subway tunnel was extended on the Philadelphia side to its current western terminus at 16th and Locust streets in 1952.

In 1967, this subway was turned over to the Delaware River Port Authority, which operates the Ben Franklin Bridge and three other Delaware River crossings, for use by what was to have been the first of three rapid transit lines running from South Jersey communities to Philadelphia. The one that got built runs to Lindenwold (nee Kirkwood); the two that didn't would have served Woodbury and Moorestown. (Efforts are now under way to build a light rail line from Camden to Glassboro via Woodbury.)

The Port Authority Transit Corporation (PATCO) Lindenwold High-Speed Line ("Speedline") opened in 1969; it was the first of the new generation of American rapid transit lines that used automatic train control. It's entirely above ground, on embankments or viaducts, save for Haddonfield station - the residents of that very tony borough paid to have the line put in a trench through it.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,225,714 times
Also you can easily walk or bike between Philly and Camden as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City