Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:46 PM

37,309 posts, read 39,719,505 times

Advertisements

Maybe if the state spent less money on pet projects all over the state to little fiefsoms and more on the baseline infrastructure where most of its tax revenue comes from then we can have nice things, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 08:56 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,274,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m very reluctant to keep this thread open. Keep it NYC related or it gets moved/closed.
I think it's a good thread because one can compare how LA and NYC are in transportation issues.

Like come on NYC get it together...Your gonna let LA have a better public transportation then us

Old 01-02-2019, 03:39 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,137,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I think it's a good thread because one can compare how LA and NYC are in transportation issues.

Like come on NYC get it together...Your gonna let LA have a better public transportation then us
LA's 1st train line was made in 1990. The MTA goes back 100 of years. It's not fair comparison.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:08 AM

19,108 posts, read 14,100,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post

And those threads belong in City v City...

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-02-2019, 07:35 AM

5,467 posts, read 5,743,335 times
$120B would be enough for MTA to complete the 10 year environmental study for the 2nd ave subway and nothing else.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:43 AM

1,308 posts, read 1,242,024 times
I wish the voters of Philadelphia would agree to such a bond measure. We have to be the US city that needs the most new subway lines. "Light rail" (we call them trolleys here) and BRT won't suffice in a city as dense and populous as ours. We have a better bond rating than the Commonwealth of PA and a budget surplus, so we should really issue municipal bonds and get to work. This is how our subway system would look if I could oversee and guide the plan:

And these would be the lines:

Broad Street Trunk:

Broad Street Line (Local): Cheltenham-Ogontz to Navy Yard
Broad Street Line (Express): Fern Rock TC to Walnut-Locust
Broad-Ridge Spur: Fern Rock TC to 8th and Market
Chestnut Hill Subway: Chestnut Hill to Walnut-Locust
Roosevelt Boulevard Subway-Elevated: Southampton Road to Navy Yard

Market-Frankford Line: 69th Street TC to Frankford and Rhawn
PATCO: Health Complex to Lindenwold, NJ
Double Crosstown (Yellow): Ivy Ridge to Oregon Avenue via 52nd Street and Washington Avenue
Andorra Line (Purple): Center City Loop to Ridge and Northwestern via Ridge Avenue
29th Street Line (Light Blue): Center City Loop to Wissahickon TC via 29th Street
Allegheny Avenue Crosstown (Light Blue): Center City Loop to Richmond and Allegheny via 29th Street and Allegheny Avenue
Eastwick Line (Fuschia): Center City Loop to 84th and Lindbergh via 25th Street
Woodland Avenue Line (Blue-Green): Darby TC to Center City Loop via Woodland Avenue
Cheltenham-Overbrook Line (Pink): Melrose Park Station to 63rd and City Avenue
Girard Avenue Crosstown (Light Red): City and Haverford to Cottman and Rising Sun via Girard Avenue

Old 01-02-2019, 10:51 AM

644 posts, read 1,023,937 times
Only one line to the NJ side suburbs? Isn't the Jersey side almost a quarter of the metro?

Old 01-02-2019, 10:54 AM

17,562 posts, read 15,691,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Only one line to the NJ side suburbs? Isn't the Jersey side almost a quarter of the metro?
It's very suburbish and car-centric though... Generally, in places like that, one line should suffice, as anyone wanting/needing to ride it would "park-and-ride."

Old 01-02-2019, 11:11 AM

1,308 posts, read 1,242,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
I haven't worked on my Regional Rail map for the Philadelphia area. This map is for heavy rail expansion within (and just outside of) Philadelphia city limits, and PATCO (the red line, which functions as a subway within Philly and Camden, and as a commuter line at points east) already exists. Ignoring all the complications from the SEPTA/NJ Transit dichotomy of running trains, here is how I envision the Regional Rail system on the NJ of the Philadelphia area:

-The current Atlantic City Line
-Service to Millville via Glassboro and Vineland
-Service to Salem via Woodbury
-Service to at least Mount Holly, possibly as far as Pemberton
-Service to Ocean City and Cape May

Additionally, SEPTA's West Trenton Line should go to Bound Brook and the NJT RiverLine could be add an additional service to Perth Amboy from Camden via existing trackage!

Old 01-02-2019, 11:12 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,916,348 times
We have the Olympics coming up in 2028 for the 3rd time gotta get the city looking right.

I'm excited to see what this all looks like, but there's tons of metro expansion already going on to places one would figure we would have by now like LAX. I would think the 2nd largest city would have rail going to the 2nd busiest airport in the US, and 4th busiest in the world, but better late than never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
View detailed profiles of: