Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best neighborhood?
Shaker Heights 10 30.30%
Grosse Pointe 11 33.33%
Oak Park 12 36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 06:52 PM

30 posts, read 23,067 times

Advertisements

Categories

1. Overall
2. Downtown connectivity
3. Connectivity to surrounding suburban neighborhoods
4. Neighborhood vibrancy
5. Cost of living
6. Scenery
7. Retail/Dining
8. Crime
9. Schools

Last edited by CityGeek; 01-02-2019 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:25 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGeek View Post

Categories

1. Overall
2. Downtown connectivity
3. Connectivity to surrounding suburban neighborhoods
4. Neighborhood vibrancy
5. Cost of living
6. Scenery
7. Retail/Dining
8. Crime
Just so everyone's on the same page, aee you referring to Oak Park, MI (Detroit suburb) or Oak Park, IL (Chicago suburb)?

I assume the latter, to compare Cleveland (Shaker Heights) vs. Chicago vs. Detroit (Grosse Pointe)...

Old 01-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Just so everyone's on the same page, aee you referring to Oak Park, Mi (Detroit suburb) or Oak Park, IL (Chicago suburb)?

I assume the latter, to compare Cleveland (Shaker Heights) vs. Chicago vs. Detroit...
Sorry Oak Park, IL

Old 01-02-2019, 08:01 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Oak Park has the best downtown by a mile. And is the most vibrant. Probably prefer the aesthetic and diversity of SFH housing stock in the different Grosse Pointes. Plus, the lake is a nice add there. Shaker Heights, to me, feels like one of the polished, exquisite neighborhoods within Grosse Pointe.

So, I’ll go Grosse Pointe.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:07 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Interesting that schools aren't one of your criteria, considering that many people choose to live in these communities because they have some characteristics of the big cities they sit right next door to, but with MUCH better public schools.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Interesting that schools aren't one of your criteria, considering that many people choose to live in these communities because they have some characteristics of the big cities they sit right next door to, but with MUCH better public schools.
Yes I did not think about schools...I added that as a category.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:50 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Grosse Pointe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse...s)?wprov=sfti1

Grosse Pointe Blank
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grosse...nk?wprov=sfti1

Old 01-03-2019, 08:57 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,093,240 times
1. Overall - Shaker Heights

2. Downtown connectivity -- close between Shaker and Oak Park; both are served by 2 rapid transit lines. Shaker gets my slight nudge because the 2 Rapid Lines serve Shaker so intimately with stops all over; but Oak Park's L trains are more frequent and get to the Loop quicker.

3. Connectivity to surrounding suburban neighborhoods -- Shaker; it's part of the Heights block of Eastern burbs; seamless between lower Cleveland Heights with the grand homes and mansions plus the Lakes. Beachwood, University Hts. and Warrensville, all adjacent, are easily accessible/connected as well.

4. Neighborhood vibrancy - Oak Park and, perhaps, Grosse Pointe may edge out Shaker in this regard... Shaker tends to be quiet-er, although the new Van Aken District and the older downtown tend to belie this.

5. Cost of living -- Grosse Pointe and Shaker may be even here.

6. Scenery -- Grosse Pointe (Detroit River) and Shaker (Shaker Lakes, winding leafy streets) have significant natural beauty. Oak Park is part of the Chicago grid which is flat; no major water bodies come to mind.

7. Retail/Dining -- Oak Park in a runaway with its large and vibrant downtown the other 2 can't match.

8. Crime -- sadly parts of Shaker have had issues of late crime-wise. I can't speak on the other 2.

9. Schools -- Shaker and Grosse Pointe have great reputations; Shaker has only slightly faded, but is still very strong, esp in terms of teaching, student achievement and college placement, which still stands at well over 90% of all graduates (and Shaker High itself has a very high graduation rate).

Old 01-08-2019, 07:25 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
I'd say Oak Park, except for one thing: Oak Park (which is great and all) should definitely be replaced by Evanston.

And I would obviously vote for Evanston.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:00 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
I would have changed this to Oak Park/River Forest instead of just Oak Park, since the two share the same high school and are interchangable. If that were the case, the scenery would change for the better to having a river and more upscale housing, and there would be a greater gap between OPRF and the Grosse Pointes and Shaker Heights. As far as being relevant and vibrant, Oak Park for sure. But I like the feel of Gross Pointe. To me, Shaker Heights just seems to be struggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City