Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 02:02 PM

67 posts, read 63,356 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Within the next 2 years, my husband and I plan on moving out of cold snowy buffalo. We are currently both 26 years old, and by the time we move we plan on starting a family once situated in the new area. We both absolutely hate the cold. We love being in the water, in a boat, soaking up the sun. Though iv also heard such good things about Raleigh, and how family oriented it is and how upcoming its been. Im torn on which would be best. We also love being near things, and not needing to drive 20 minutes away every time we need to go to the store or something. Please let me know all of your opinions!

Thank you!

Tracy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 02:44 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
I have relatives in the RDU area and am really familiar with the TSP area after living in Orlando for a year. Both Raleigh and Tampa are great areas and highly regarded. They're really different. Just depends on what you're looking for.

Tampa/St. Petersburg: Has an enormous amount of water activities and recreational assets of all sorts. Some of my favorite beaches anywhere. Close to Orlando and all it has to offer. Does have an family friendly area, but has a big retirement population as well. Good economy. Great food. Warm to hot year round (that can be a plus or minus, depending on your tastes). Can be hurricane prone. Buying Power (cost of living vs. average annual income) national average=100. Tampa/St. Petersburg=107.27.

Raleigh/Durham: Very family friendly. Great economy. More moderate, 4-season climate. Lots of clean, green, beautiful parks and greenways. Great colleges and healthcare. Friendly people. Only real knock I can give them is for a metro of about 2 million, there really isn't a lot of recreational assets (especially unique things). Buying Power=115.04

I love both metros. Whichever meets your needs the closest will be the way to go. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:13 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I've spent quite a bit of time in both the last few years. To me, Raleigh's traffic is significantly better, and the city is easier to get around. It's also kept up a little better than Tampa proper. Most Tampa neighborhoods are just not that nice or new in comparison to Raleigh. With that said, Tampa is going to come out a major winner on outdoor activities and things to do outside. Raleigh is kind of in an outdoor no-man's-land in NC, being several hours from the mountains and still a couple hours from the beach.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:40 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Which is to say Raleigh has outdoor activities. There is a 6000 acre state park/camping woods in the city limits. Lakes and parks throughout the area, and swimming and soccer leagues are huge. But it’s still the Piedmont so it isn’t terribly unique looking and no one would come as a tourist to see it even if families flock there. You do have to drive for day trips to the beach (probably a weekend trip to the mountains).

Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Raleigh's average winter temperature is actually about halfway between that of Tampa and Buffalo. Winter is certainly shorter and more moderate than in upstate New York, but the climate is not exactly warm for 3-4 months every year. Tampa is a better option if someone absolutely "hates" cold weather, as years can pass without temperatures ever falling below the freezing point, particularly close to the coast.

Climate aside, I think Raleigh is a much better option for families. The population is highly educated and this is reflected in the quality of the schools and universities. The Triangle in general is one of the most consistently prosperous metros in the country with very few blighted or particularly dangerous areas. Tampa seems to have more contrasts between different neighborhoods especially in the urban core.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:47 AM

I didnt think I would lean this way, but sounds like im gearing more towards Tampa. Mainly because I hate the cold, and also I like to be within a hour away from a beach. I like to be around the water, while also hopefully avoiding real bad hurricanes. And if not Tampa, maybe Ft. Lauderdale?

I want my kids to have a good education, but I also don't want to be 2 hours drive away from a beach. An hour drive is more like it. Any recommendations in Florida (not Miami) , that is best for education while also being close to beach (within a hour-ish drive)? Or is tampa most recommended?

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2019, 11:21 AM

17,136 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy432 View Post
I didnt think I would lean this way, but sounds like im gearing more towards Tampa. Mainly because I hate the cold, and also I like to be within a hour away from a beach. I like to be around the water, while also hopefully avoiding real bad hurricanes. And if not Tampa, maybe Ft. Lauderdale?

I want my kids to have a good education, but I also don't want to be 2 hours drive away from a beach. An hour drive is more like it. Any recommendations in Florida (not Miami) , that is best for education while also being close to beach (within a hour-ish drive)? Or is tampa most recommended?

Thanks!
St Johns County would be your best bet for "best education while also being close to the beach."
It gets cooler than Tampa during the "winter," but still not "cold."

Old 02-08-2019, 11:34 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
St Johns County would be your best bet for "best education while also being close to the beach."
It gets cooler than Tampa during the "winter," but still not "cold."
If not Tampa, I like this suggestion. St. Johns County is very nice. Good schools, it's in the Jacksonville area, less than 2 hours to Orlando, cooler winters, and nice beaches.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:54 AM

Thank you! I will look into St.Johns County. I appreciate your help!

Any chance you know how the job market is down there? My husband is an accountant (soon to be CPA), and I am in the administrator field.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:15 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Sarasota County has one of the better school systems in Florida, and some of the nicest beaches anywhere with very little cold weather. It's also a major cultural hub for the arts. The job market isn't Sarasota's major draw as it is a retirement heavy area, but unemployment is low and I'm sure there are some financial type opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City