Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Chinese Communities
San Gabriel Valley 15 46.88%
Greater Vancouver 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2019, 11:34 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times

Advertisements

Two Chinese communities that are the largest and best in their respective nations! Who will win? Rate them on everything, but especially:

1. Food! (of course!)
2. Most culturally akin to China
3. Larger Chinese population/density of Chinese population
4. Schools
5. Safety
6. Cost of living/Taxes

Despite being a native SoCal-born Chinese, I'll have to give the thumbs up to Vancouver. If I'm not mistaken, most areas of Greater Vancouver have a larger percentage of Chinese than even the San Gabriel Valley. Vancouver as a city is also the cleanest big city I have been to, period--even the Chinese/Asian malls in Richmond are spanking clean. Heavily Chinese communities in Vancouver and Canada, in general, just seem much more upscale and well-maintained than those in the San Gabriel Valley, which seem ghetto by comparison (with the exception of Arcadia and San Marino).
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 11:55 PM

587 posts, read 423,507 times
I'm Chinese-Californian

Well, many Chinese in LA (parts of San Gabriel Valley such as Rosemead, Alhambra, El Monte) live alongside Hispanics.
That in itself is a different experience than in Vancouver, where many Chinese live alongside Whites. I know there are "Chinese neighborhoods" there, but Whites live in close enough proximity.

I think Chinese in LA are more generally assimilated than Vancouver where there are tons of "new" immigrants from China (although there are lotsa 2nd/ 3rd gen Chinese Canadians too).

You are narrowing it down to "Chinese". The overall "Asian experience" has wider scope in LA. There are Thais, Cambodians, Laotians, Hawaiians, overall more diversity of socio-economic Asian groups, in LA.
In California, the Bay Area is overall more "Chinese" than LA County. Greater Vancouver yes, the Chinese demographic has the largest presence in any N. American metro.

Last edited by krosser100; 02-16-2019 at 12:04 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 07:48 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Chinese Floridian here...strongly considering both cities for potential relocation when my kids get a little older. Visited both numerous times and have lots of family in each. From my perception, this goes to Vancouver. It's the percentage and influence that wins out for me. LA is quite even in Chinese amenities overall but not compared to the size of the region as a whole. Factors 4-6 seem fairly even as well for an outside observer...at least not significantly in favor of one side or the other. (assuming we are comparing nice areas/schools and not the cumulative metro region as a whole)

Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Ironically the largest Chinese community in North America is NYC and Toronto has more total Chinese than Vancouver.

That said if you’re looking for pure Cantonese culture and food, Vancouver can’t be beat. The segregate themselves there a lot more than LA so the purity of the culture is intact. Vancouver in general is a very segregated city but still a lot of fun.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:58 AM

587 posts, read 423,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ironically the largest Chinese community in North America is NYC and Toronto has more total Chinese than Vancouver.
Sheer numbers, yes.
But overall Chinese "presence" for the metro area, it is definitely Vancouver. SF Bay Area would be #2 in N. America.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:02 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
Sheer numbers, yes.
But overall Chinese "presence" for the metro area, it is definitely Vancouver. SF Bay Area would be #2 in N. America.
True. The Bay Area would be number two in North America for Chinese influence as opposed to LA.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

That said if you’re looking for pure Cantonese culture and food, Vancouver can’t be beat. The segregate themselves there a lot more than LA so the purity of the culture is intact. Vancouver in general is a very segregated city but still a lot of fun.
But could the San Gabriel Valley edge out Vancouver in Taiwanese food? While most Vancouver Chinese are Cantonese, most SoCal Chinese are from Taiwan.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:32 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
But could the San Gabriel Valley edge out Vancouver in Taiwanese food? While most Vancouver Chinese are Cantonese, most SoCal Chinese are from Taiwan.
No. There is certainly a larger presence of Taiwanese and I believe the early years of the boom period were attributed to a Taiwanese land prospector. But no, the majority are not from Taiwan lol.

This link shows the census representation for Chinese and Taiwanese. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chines...ley#Population

Some estimates I have seen put the Taiwanese population at close to 100k, and the overall Chinese population nearing 600k. So while it's the largest Taiwanese population in the US, it is certainly not "most" from Taiwan.

That said, yes...I'd give the edge to SGV for Taiwanese food.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
But no, the majority are not from Taiwan lol.
Correct. I think LA does have a number of Taiwanese, but to think they're the biggest group of Chinese is not even close to true.

Foreign born Chinese for LA MSA, 2017:

Mainland China: 217,546 people
Taiwan: 90,077 people
Hong Kong: 33,350 people

Almost 2.5X more mainland born Chinese in LA area than Taiwan born Chinese.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
No. There is certainly a larger presence of Taiwanese and I believe the early years of the boom period were attributed to a Taiwanese land prospector. But no, the majority are not from Taiwan lol.

This link shows the census representation for Chinese and Taiwanese. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chines...ley#Population

Some estimates I have seen put the Taiwanese population at close to 100k, and the overall Chinese population nearing 600k. So while it's the largest Taiwanese population in the US, it is certainly not "most" from Taiwan.

That said, yes...I'd give the edge to SGV for Taiwanese food.
The above Census figures are likely because most Taiwanese Americans report themselves as Chinese on the Census, not really bothering with the subcategory of Taiwanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City