Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Princeton University is:
a New York area university. 41 19.07%
a Philadelphia area university. 44 20.47%
neither 130 60.47%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:45 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times

Advertisements

This has come up multiple times in multiple threads when discussing the comparative strength of a city's higher education options. Basically there are three schools of thought here; some believe Princeton University is a NYC area school, others a Philadelphia area school, while others claim it is not strongly influenced enough by either city to be considered either.

The facts in this discussion have often been misstated and so I will provide some relevant information here to aid you in your discussion.

Princeton University is located within Mercer County, NJ. Mercer County New Jersey is part of the NYC Metro Area. This means that more people commute from Mercer County to the NYC Metro than to Philadelphia Metro. However the vast majority of the people in Mercer country commute to neither city. Only 3.66% of the people who live in Mercer County commute to NYC. (source: Mercer County, New Jersey Economic Profile)

There has been much debate over which city Princeton is closer to, NYC or Philadelphia.

If you're going by straight distance from the southwestern corner of Princeton University's campus to the closest point in Northeast Philadelphia the distance from Princeton to Philly is 22.795 miles. That is barely closer than the distance the far northeastern corner of Princeton's campus is from the very tip of Staten Island: 23.134 miles.

Straight distance from Princeton to each city's city hall shows that Princeton is considerably closer to the center of Philadelphia than it is to the center of NYC(although obviously the center of NYC is much more up for debate, I think this is generous center to be picked for the purpose of this debate). Philadelphia's City Hall is located 37.367 miles away from the southwest tip of Princeton. New York's city hall meanwhile is located 41.998 miles away from the northeast tip of Princeton.

Now obviously you can't drive in a straight line from Princeton to these places so using google maps the driving distances from the closest points of each city to the closest points of Princeton's campus shows that NYC is barely closer by road than philadelphia. 29.7 miles to 30.8 miles. However it takes longer to drive to NYC than to philly, 44 min to 40 min.

Driving from Princeton to downtown NYC however is considerably longer and more difficult than driving from Princeton to Downtown Philadelphia. It's 51.3 miles to NYC and takes 1hr and 13min to get to NYC's city hall whereas it's only 45.3 miles from Philly's and takes 58 minutes.

Keep in mind these times are from google maps and do not take into account traffic. EDIT: Also please note that the route to philly I mistakenly posted the wrong map, with this one ending in eddington, pa instead of philly. This is literally across the street from philly however, add .1 of a mile and one minute of driving time to philly's numbers if you wish.

By train it is easier to get from Princeton to NYC using regional rail as an NYC regional rail line goes all the way to Princeton whereas Philly's stops in nearby Trenton. However it is quicker on Amtrak to go from Princeton to Philly than to NYC; 34 minutes to 46 minutes. So to sum up the distances. Princeton University is physically closer to Philadelphia than to NYC, although just barely. By road, NYC is barely closer, but this advantage is lost by the fact that it takes longer to drive to NYC. Princeton is closer to Philadelphia's Center than NYC's by a considerable margin. It's quicker to get to NYC by regional rail, but quicker to philly by Amtrak.

Honestly though in the end what really matters is what people who live in Princeton identify themselves

Again though the influence is cloudy. Mercer County according to the folks at Nielsen Media Research, is squarely in Philadelphia's Media Market and so many with satellite/cable providers in Princeton give only Philadelphia Television stations. However some providers offer both stations. If you're still going by broadcast most people can get both city's stations. With the exception being NYC's CBS station which some can't get and Philadelphia's FOX station which some can't get.

In radio it's the same story. In most places you can get stations from both cities but Philly's come in stronger. Trenton also has a few of its own stations, which lean much more towards philly news and sports than NYC considering Trenton's very close proximity to Philly.

As far as print media goes, mercer has it's own option with the Trenton Times - which leans much more philly heavy than NYC. However it's easier to get NYC print media than philly print media... although this undoubtedly has something to do with nyc print media's ubiquitous presence throughout the entire northeast.

Sports teams certainly trend strongly toward Philly throughout mercer county. However Princeton being closer to NYC than most of mercer county does have a considerable amount of Devils fans... and to a lesser extent Nets... and even lesser extent giants, jets, or most rarely of all, yankees or mets fans.

Also to be considered is that mercer is in many ways it's own area with Trenton at it's center. Trenton is less than 15 miles from Philadelphia though so Philadelphia's influence is very strong.

So in summary Princeton is virtually right in the middle of NYC and Philadelphia. It receives influence from both. Which city do the people of Princeton identify with more however? NYC? Philly? Neither? Obviously opinions of people who actually live in Princeton would be very sought after and relevant.

(credit to kidphilly for providing me with a source for some of the commuting statistics.)

Last edited by JMT; 09-27-2011 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Too many images (only 6 allowed; please read the forum sticky).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:52 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
princeton is its own entity, but i can see the argument...

i still don't get the cutoff...its an ivy league school. us knuckleheads couldn't get into that school anyway

Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
princeton is its own entity, but i can see the argument...

i still don't get the cutoff...its both
an interesting idea. I should have made that a poll option. Maybe a moderator can add it? It's a weird idea to think of a school as being both a Philadelphia area school and NYC area school but I guess a strong argument could be made for that viewpoint.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechno55 View Post
New York area school. What happened to the last thread that was created about this earlier this week?
The person who started it was a troll and so the entire thread was deleted by moderators. A shame considering right before it was deleted I put a lot of work into a post on this topic. I figured I'd start this one. Though instead of comparing cities like that thread was we're just talking about Princeton here. hopefully this one won't devolve into a troll fight like the other one.

Any reasoning why you consider it an NYC school?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Having spent half of my youth on the Bucks County border with Mercer it definately felt more connected to Philly but there is influence to both - maybe like 60/40 for Princeton - a few miles away in Trenton the number shifts more to Philly

Overall this area is somewhat grey with a leaning. But then again NY even has some influence to Bucks county (not in sports though whatsoever)

These to me are also interesting, Philly sports teams go right about to Princeton on rooting

CommonCensus Sports Map

Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
growing up in CT , i never considered Princeton a NYC area school, but i also thought Philly was in the south

i didn't think White Plains was NYC area either and it isn't its westchester

Old 09-26-2011, 11:11 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
The person who started it was a troll and so the entire thread was deleted by moderators. A shame considering right before it was deleted I put a lot of work into a post on this topic. I figured I'd start this one. Though instead of comparing cities like that thread was we're just talking about Princeton here. hopefully this one won't devolve into a troll fight like the other one.

Any reasoning why you consider it an NYC school?
I agree!

Though, I read it and agreed to an extent, I have a new perspective on it. Most, when asked, would probably say it's a Jersey school (lol, technically). But then when bringing up metro's people would probably agree it's in the NY Metro. Granted, it's closer to Philly but on paper, it's in a county in the metro. So I have to go with NY.

I don't know. I think distance is irrelevant in this situation. Like I said last night when Philly joins the NY MSA/CSA - this debate will probably be trivial.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:23 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Philadelphia

Old 09-26-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I agree!

Though, I read it and agreed to an extent, I have a new perspective on it. Most, when asked, would probably say it's a Jersey school (lol, technically). But then when bringing up metro's people would probably agree it's in the NY Metro. Granted, it's closer to Philly but on paper, it's in a county in the metro. So I have to go with NY.

I don't know. I think distance is irrelevant in this situation. Like I said last night when Philly joins the NY MSA/CSA - this debate will probably be trivial.
I disagree with that statement. My point last night was that the metro area doesn't really matter. Yes Mercer county is in the NYC metro area... but less than 4 out of 100 people who live in Mercer County commute to NYC.

Metro areas can be misleading. They only focus on commuting patterns. If Philadelphia becomes part of the NYC metro people here won't start talking like we're from New York, we won't start caring about NYC sports teams, and won't change our opinions about our city or the city of NYC in any way. Metro areas are useful tools, but they are imaginary in the sense that they are not real boundaries.

So recently Mercer Country became a part of the NYC metro, that doesn't mean that the people who live there suddenly changed. Agree that distance isn't that important either though. The question is regardless of what metro Princeton is in. Regardless of which city it is closer to. What city does Princeton identify with more?

Old 09-27-2011, 12:22 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times
It's a New Jersey school, that's how I always thought of it. New York has Columbia and Philly has Penn.

I can see the argument for it being a part of both areas, maybe I lean slightly more towards Philly, but only slightly. I think it's neutral maybe, for now anyway. Saying its a NY school certainly isn't anywhere near as ridiculous as saying Yale is which I saw before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City