Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Des Moines vs Colorado Springs
Des Moines 18 58.06%
Colorado Springs 13 41.94%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times

Advertisements

I've seen these tow cities mentioned a decent amount on here. I figured it would be an interesting comparison for two similarly sized metro's. I'm wondering which do you think is better overall? Some criteria to consider
1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Economy
4. Recreation
5. Scenery
6. Weather
7. Architecture
8. Bars/Restaurants
9. Transportation Car/Public
10. COL
11.Where would you rather live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
CO Springs has better weather, recreation, and scenery. By a good margin.

Des Moines has everything else, by a good margin.

Assuming you're looking at these metros in and of themselves and not crediting CO Springs for proximity to Denver.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Des Moines is a nice city...and the whole surrounding area.

Don't wanna live in the Midwest or Central USA again, tho.
Floods, tornadoes, heat in the summer with little breezes...
So CO for me.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:30 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
CO Springs has better weather, recreation, and scenery. By a good margin.

Des Moines has everything else, by a good margin.

Assuming you're looking at these metros in and of themselves and not crediting CO Springs for proximity to Denver.
Personally, I agree with this. Both are very good small metros, but the COL is a deal-breaker for me. I'd pick Des Moines.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I've seen these tow cities mentioned a decent amount on here. I figured it would be an interesting comparison for two similarly sized metro's. I'm wondering which do you think is better overall? Some criteria to consider
1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Economy
4. Recreation
5. Scenery
6. Weather
7. Architecture
8. Bars/Restaurants
10. COL
1. Des Moines
2. Tie
3. Des Moines
4. CO Springs
5. CO Springs
6. CO Springs
7. Des Moines
8. Tie
9. Tie
10. Des Moines
11. Des Moines because it's cheaper and closer to where I'm from (Chicago), and while Colorado is a beautiful place, it's quickly becoming California east in terms of overall COL. Colorado; cool place to visit, don't know if I'd live there nowadays.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Economy
4. Recreation
5. Scenery
6. Weather
7. Architecture
8. Bars/Restaurants
10. COL
1. Downtown: Des Moines downtown is huge for a city of it's size, it feels like a much bigger city. Colorado Springs downtown is more touristy than anything else.

2. Walkability: Des Moines seems more walkable and dense. Colorado Springs is a very sprawly city, some really nice areas to walk around and great park system but overall not a walking city.

3. Economy: Des Moines has a much, much better economy. It is a far more affluent metropolitan area and very recession-proof.

377,000 employed in Des Moines as opposed to 296,000 employed in Colorado Springs despite Colorado Springs being a larger metropolitan area population wise.

https://www.bls.gov/regions/midwest/...moines_msa.htm

https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain...prings_msa.htm

4. Recreation: Colorado Springs is known for recreation. Colorado Springs has a great park system and lots of hiking for people into that. Des Moines seems decent also, but I didn't spend enough time there to really see all the parks.

5. Scenery: I prefer Des Moines because it is very lush and green half of the year and they have some small hills in the city. Colorado Springs though has excellent scenery with the lush foothills half of the year and Pikes Peak. They also have lots of very scenic open-space and an excellent park system.

6. Weather: Colorado Springs has much warmer winters. Colorado Springs has fantastic weather in the summer, Des Moines has similar high temperatures but has lots of humidity but that is what makes it so lush.

7. Architecure: Des Moines seems very historic compared to Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs has some architecture around the Broadmoor.

9. Transportation: Des Moines has really good infrastructure and decent public transit. Colorado Springs has lagged behind on infrastructure and the public transit is more limited but it runs 7 days a week and they have limited evening service.

10. Cost of living: Des Moines in a landslide. Colorado Springs has high housing prices, property taxes are low, rents are quite high. Des Moines has much lower housing prices, but very high property taxes, rents are low in comparison

Old 06-12-2019, 05:18 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times
DT: Des Moines
Walkability: I am not sure, but CS isn't very walkable, so I would assume Des Moines
Economy: With its proximity to Denver, military installation, and steady growth, I would think CS
Recreation: CS by far
Scenery: CS by far
Weather: CS, but not by much. I don't like tornados, brutal winters, and brutal summers.
Architecture: Des Moines
Transportation: Not sure
COL: Des Moines by far

Personally, I would choose CS without hesitation. Des Moines might be better on paper. But it doesn't appeal to me at all, along with the Midwest in general. There is a reason why the COL is higher in CS.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 PM

5,354 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Des Moines as a well built city that packs a big punch for its size and avoids the congestion and other big city problems. Colorado Springs is an ok, rather average city where all the money is going into the outer suburbs.

DT: DM by far,
Walkability: DM
Economy: DM by far. Denver is not an economic option for COS; that commute will take years off your life. COS is heavily military dependent, so a lot of the jobs require security clearance or a federal background.
Rec and Scenery: obviously COS
Weather: COS because it doesn't have the wind from being on the open prairie or as bad of winters.
Architecture: DM, unless you consider visiting swank residential housing sections quite the jam.
Transportation: DM by a lot. COS was ok for traffic, but it's getting kinda bad and it's going to be way worse as it grows because the city and state allocate basically $0 for roads and developers don't build traffic arteries.
COL: DM cause housing, but other than COS isn't radically more expensive. It's just that part of the midwest is basically the best place in the nation for COL, especially in relation to income.

If Iowa could somehow set aside a decent chunk of public close to Des Moines, even if that was prairie and rolling hills and ponds, I'd take Des Moines. I wish the entire state of Iowa wasn't farmed or private.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
I've been to Des Moines once and Colorado Springs a few times.

1. Downtown: Des Moines. Like Lovecrowds said, Des Moines is more of a "real" downtown while Colorado Springs is pretty touristy.
2. Walkability: Des Moines, according to Walkscore
3. Economy: Des Moines
4. Recreation: Colorado Springs
5. Scenery: Colorado Springs by a lot. The mountains are right there and a lot of the city is built on hills and the mountains are pretty prominent.
6. Weather: Colorado Springs
7. Architecture: I don't find either to be too impressive, but I'm going to say Colorado Springs overall. Des Moines takes Downtown architecture but I think COS has more interesting places spread across the city such as Will Rodger's Shrine of the Sun, The Broadmoor Area, Air Force Academy and Manitou Springs.
8. Bars/Restaurants: Not very familiar with either
9. Transportation Car/Public: I'd assume Des Moines for both
10. COL: Des Moines by far
11.Where would you rather live?: Colorado Springs. I find it to be a much more interesting city. It's close to many great features that Des Moines simply can't compete with imo. I would definitely consider Des Moines for the cost of living and bigger city feel though.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 PM

160 posts, read 104,085 times
Its worth mentioning that Des Moines is the state capitol and largest city in the state and doesn't play second fiddle to a 3 million person metro 70 miles away, thus the larger, more classic downtown and more well rounded economy as a stand alone metro, with more amenities than its size would suggest.(See Denver). Having said that i would still rather live in the Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City