Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2022, 08:06 PM

444 posts, read 282,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Soccer-specific stadiums are for cities that lack large soccer followings. Others use football stadiums, and occasionally fill them up.
It's about who controls the stadium, not fan support. if the MLS owner doesn't control the US Football stadium then the team wouldn't play there. Chicago is the one exception and they have horrible fan support in their big US football stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 08:25 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Soccer-specific stadiums are for cities that lack large soccer followings. Others use football stadiums, and occasionally fill them up.
This is true. By the way this season Charlotte has the 2nd highest crowd to watch a soccer game in the world this year...and the
stadium is a nfl stadium...

Old 05-19-2022, 08:28 PM

718 posts, read 492,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
These are not little things, though. Nashville also has the largest soccer stadium in the United States and Canada. Charlotte simply being bigger does not mean it is better at everything.
Well Charlotte has the 2nd highest attended soccer game in the world this year behind only a game in Wembley stadium so there you go

Old 05-19-2022, 08:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Nashville seems to have a lot more development around downtown, though. From Broadway through the Gulch all the way to Vanderbilt, it's pretty darn urban with high-rise buildings galore and more being built. There's a lot going on around downtown Nashville.

Charlotte has a bubble of density inside 277 and it spreads a little toward South End, but besides that, the city is largely suburban. Again, Charlotte is typical of Carolina Piedmont cities. A fairly small downtown (compared to most major cities in the U.S.) surrounded by a sea of suburban sprawl. Winston, Greensboro, Durham, etc. They're all kind of similar.

Overall, I'd say Charlotte and Nashville are definitely in the same tier. Not on the level of cities like Atlanta or Dallas, but a higher tier than cities like Birmingham or Richmond.
South End is densifying at a pretty rapid clip and is sprouting its own skyline as well. The announced developments in South End seem to get taller and taller with time. While both Nashville and Charlotte are largely suburban cities (check the urbanized population density stats), I think you're shortchanging Charlotte just a wee bit especially in light of the urbanization of the LYNX corridor and along the Gold Line in the West End and Elizabeth (mostly in the form of low-rise/mid-rise development). Land along the future Silver Line is already being prepped for development, and Midtown/Dilworth is urbanizing in the absence of rail transit.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:05 PM

17,138 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
South End is densifying at a pretty rapid clip and is sprouting its own skyline as well. The announced developments in South End seem to get taller and taller with time. While both Nashville and Charlotte are largely suburban cities (check the urbanized population density stats), I think you're shortchanging Charlotte just a wee bit especially in light of the urbanization of the LYNX corridor and along the Gold Line in the West End and Elizabeth (mostly in the form of low-rise/mid-rise development). Land along the future Silver Line is already being prepped for development, and Midtown/Dilworth is urbanizing in the absence of rail transit.
This 100%...

I had my doubts about Charlotte in the past, but decided during my last visit to do some more exploring, and I was impressed. Like I said previously, a ride from one end to the other, and back, on the Blue line, gave me a whole different perspective of the city. South End is developing like crazy. The urban canyon along the LYNX corridor is quite impressive.

Also, growing sunbelt cities, please take note... This makes a HUGE difference:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Comm...ntation_01.pdf

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-19-2022 at 09:18 PM..

Old 05-19-2022, 09:22 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
Well Charlotte has the 2nd highest attended soccer game in the world this year behind only a game in Wembley stadium so there you go
touché

Old 05-19-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Charlotte is on the Nashville, Indy, Cleveland, and Tampa level. It feels like a mid-major that hit the national consciousness with the NFL.
Actually it was the NBA but you're right about major league pro sports putting it on the map.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:23 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
I don’t think a .500 Hornets squad made much a dent in the national consciousness. The Arkansas title game was probably the biggest splash the old colosseum saw around that time. It was the Panthers that got the national love, in particular the ‘96 team which ended the Cowboys dynasty.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
This 100%...

I had my doubts about Charlotte in the past, but decided during my last visit to do some more exploring, and I was impressed. Like I said previously, a ride from one end to the other, and back, on the Blue line, gave me a whole different perspective of the city. South End is developing like crazy. The urban canyon along the LYNX corridor is quite impressive.

Also, growing sunbelt cities, please take note... This makes a HUGE difference:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Comm...ntation_01.pdf
I'm glad you took the time to do that. While Charlotte isn't a Baltimore or St. Louis with extensively developed contiguous historic neighborhoods beyond downtown proper, the city gets seriously shortchanged when people more or less say it's all strip malls and drive-thrus outside of Uptown....and in 2022 at that. The pace at which the city has been urbanizing in all directions from Uptown over the past 15 years or so can give cause whiplash lol. And I think it's especially significant in Charlotte because nobody could have predicted its current development boom a decade ago when headlines like this were still running.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I don’t think a .500 Hornets squad made much a dent in the national consciousness. The Arkansas title game was probably the biggest splash the old colosseum saw around that time. It was the Panthers that got the national love, in particular the ‘96 team which ended the Cowboys dynasty.
I'm not talking about the team's performance, but the act of Charlotte landing the Hornets and the ripple effects it caused is what initially put the city on the map as this NYT article outlines. This is around the same time when Charlotte began to truly make a name for itself nationally amidst major developments within the banking industry. Of course the Panthers most definitely contributed to Charlotte's rising national profile when the NFL decided in the city's favor, but the Hornets is the franchise that initially got the ball rolling in that direction and not in an insignificant way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City