Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 04:23 PM

43 posts, read 103,209 times

Advertisements

Stats:

34 years old (will be 35 by time i move)
caucasian
$160K year salary
technology sales professional (currently sell software to federal government agencies)

I grew up on east coast outside of Philadelphia. Currently live in Denver, CO. Been out here for over 3 years. Moved to Denver from Baltimore (will never ever go back to Baltimore).

Living out west was awesome. Got to see and do so much - but ready to move back and be closer to my family in south eastern Pennsylvania. If Boston wasn't so far from SE Pennsylvania, and cold winters, it may be my #1 pick. DC ranks first for me because of proximity to home (2 hour drive without traffic - more like 3 during rush hour) AND i sell software to the federal government (makes sense for DC). It has plenty of nice areas and although not cheap, it's definitely more affordable than Boston or NYC. From what I have seen on apartment listings what you get in DC for 1 bedroom can be pretty nice for $2K a month or so.

My biggest concern with DC is that oddly the suburbs are bonkers expensive, so if I ever decided to settle down somewhere it becomes really expensive to do it around DC (like $850K for a McMansion). Where as Boston proper may be more expensive but some of the suburbs look more affordable at face value (although taxes are higher I think).

My other concern with DC is that summers are pretty humid (not that much different from SE Pennsylvania really) and some of the problems I saw in Baltimore may translate to DC (crime, low income, ghettos, drugs). I understand every city has it's problems, but if you have ever lived in Baltimore you know what I'm talking about. I don't want to see that around every corner I turn.

Finally - I am single and mid thirties - so definitely need a healthy dating seen. I would think DC would rank first here then, Boston, then Philly. I haven't mentioned Philly much - the only reason I would consider it is it's 1 hour 15 min from my family so really easy to get home for birthdays and events, but even with all the investment I have visited Philly recently and it looks like a bomb went off in that town. Still hard for me to fathom living there. Reminded me of Baltimore with the mass slums and the women were pretty rough around the edges. NYC would be great - but I feel like I would need to make twice what I make now to live there. It's so expensive it's bonkers.

Personality wise I am a more low key guy. I would get eaten alive in a place like NYC, but women like me and never had a problem dating.

Considering the following cities in the following order:

1- Washington, DC
2a - Boston
2b - Philly
3 - NYC - not that serious about it - but open to ideas

Tell me why I shouldn't just move to DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 04:57 PM

93,488 posts, read 124,229,264 times
I think you actually answered your own question.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:04 PM

56 posts, read 52,507 times
Why do you need to move from CO? I think there are plenty of cheap flights to the east coast. Only about 3 hours and you in Philadelphia.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:07 AM

84 posts, read 52,045 times
I made this same calculation over the last half year minus the dating which I don't care about. I'm also single mid 30's around 100k income and work remote so it doesn't matter which city I go to.

I was in DC but have moved to philly and am considering buying a house here.

DC is VERY expensive. Everything you can rent there is 2x as expensive as Philly, and anything you buy is probably 3x as expensive.
DC weather is very nice, nicer than Philly. If you enjoy getting out and walking around the city it's a great thing to do so. That said, in terms of parks and the like, Philly is actually on a pretty good footing compared to the rest of the east coast thanks to Fairmount park and Wissahickon Valley Park, and there's really nice hiking withing ~45 minutes in addition.
For dating, it's not something I'm really into, but there are tons of nice places to go in certain parts of the city

In terms of areas I'd recommend checking out, see this map:

University city is nice, as is center city and the near south side. Things are pretty nice north along the broadstreet including temple university there. Fishtown is growing rapidly and is being peppered with nice restaurants and shops

Mannayunk, East Falls, Northwestern Germantown, Mt. Airy are all super charming and enjoyable. I'm personally looking at buying a place in Mt. Airy.

Philly's also ~halfway between NYC and DC, so if you job requires you to travel to either of them it's pretty easy to head on down to 30th street station and grab an Amtrack to either city so you don't need to suffer through traffic to reach them.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:13 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,950,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twemh View Post
Personality wise I am a more low key guy. I would get eaten alive in a place like NYC, but women like me and never had a problem dating.
Why would you think this? NYC is a big place - maybe you're just referring to parts of Manhattan. In reality there's actually a lot of low key people here (even in Manhattan). My friend was visiting NYC this week and stayed with another friend in Manhattan during the week. It really got to him - but he stayed with us this weekend. We moved to Long Island City a handful of months ago (in Queens) and he was amazed at how much more relaxed everyone was here and friendlier. The reality is that in areas like Brooklyn and Queens, you'll find people are more down to earth and relaxed than your average Manhattan person. There are many low key people in Manhattan too, don't get me wrong, but yeah. NYC is a big place - the stereotypes are not always true, or not as big as you might think.

Regarding what you make - $160K is totally fine in NYC. In reality using the 40X income requirement, you could go up to $4000/month. Depending on what you want, it's fine. When I lived in Upper West Side in Manhattan, my 1 bedroom was around $2900/month which was totally fine for 1 person. We moved to Long Island City at the end of last year which is in Queens. Our apartment is on the water facing Manhattan with an awesome view. Our building is pretty new - gym, doorman, and all that stuff including a nice big balcony. We pay $3500/month for it but there's buildings nearby where you could get a similar 1 bedroom for closer to $3000-$3200/month. Keep in mind that in Brooklyn and Queens, there are places that are definitely even cheaper. My fiance used to live in Astoria in Queens and her 2 bedroom was $2300/mo total a few years ago. The living room was massive - 25 feet long FYI.

To be honest though, if you're open to suggestions I'd check out Chicago. It's a pretty low key place on average and a bit cheaper than DC and NYC. I like NYC but Chicago is still my favorite place I've ever lived as an actual resident. Would have zero hesitation of living there again. The new luxury 1 bedroom places downtown are still around $2500/mo there and a little older renovated luxury 1 bedrooms downtown are closer to $2000/mo.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-28-2019 at 11:24 AM..

Old 04-28-2019, 12:31 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Another SEPA native here (currently living in the Boston area, and did a collective 5-year stint in the DC area), so perhaps I can offer some perspective.

I can understand your assessment about Philadelphia still being a work in progress, because it certainly is, but I think it's definitely worth your while giving it a more extensive look. I'm actually curious to hear where you spent your time there when visiting recently to come away with the impression that you did.

Overall, even with its rougher parts, it's a very livable city, particularly on affordability. Your income would allow you to live easily in the most gilded parts of Center City. However, the prior poster pinponted the most desirable areas on which to focus your search citywide. If you're not wedded to the idea of an urban neighborhood, most surrounding suburbs would provide you even more options.

Boston, NYC and DC are great cities, each with a ton to offer. No debate there. But they are simply--and I know I'll likely be criticized for this--extremely overpriced. Real estate in these cities has really gone into hyperdrive over the past decade, and they've really just turned into playgrounds for the 1%. Even their surrounding suburbs are "maxed out" in terms of affordability (let alone congestion). To me, it's simply not sustainable.

By comparison, in my view, there's no comparison as to Philly being the most comfortable East Coast metro for day-to-day livability, with a much more balanced COL/income ratio. You're also afforded superior access to both NYC and DC.

Good luck, regardless of what you choose.

Last edited by Duderino; 04-28-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 04-28-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Another SEPA native here (currently living in the Boston area, and did a collective 5-year stint in the DC area), so perhaps I can offer some perspective.

I can understand your assessment about Philadelphia still being a work in progress, because it certainly is, but I think it's definitely worth your while giving it a more extensive look. I'm actually curious to hear where you spent your time there when visiting recently to come away with the impression that you did.

Overall, even with its rougher parts, it's a very livable city, particularly on affordability. Your income would allow you to live easily in the most gilded parts of Center City. However, the prior poster pinponted the most desirable areas on which to focus your search citywide. If you're not wedded to the idea of an urban neighborhood, most surrounding suburbs would provide you even more options.

Boston, NYC and DC are great cities, each with a ton to offer. No debate there. But they are simply--and I know I'll likely be criticized for this--extremely overpriced. Real estate in these cities has really gone into hyperdrive over the past decade, and they've really just turned into playgrounds for the 1%. Even their surrounding suburbs are "maxed out" in terms of affordability (let alone congestion). To me, it's simply not sustainable.

By comparison, in my view, there's no comparison as to Philly being the most comfortable East Coast metro for day-to-day livability, with a much more balanced COL/income ratio. You're also afforded superior access to both NYC and DC.

Good luck, regardless of what you choose.
Duderino...I was in Kensington. Yes I am aware that area was a warzone not too long ago and just now on the up and up. My friend purchased a new townhome there for like $500K. I would guess center city much better. You're right about affordability however. Big difference in home prices in and around the city in Philly vs others. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Why would you think this? NYC is a big place - maybe you're just referring to parts of Manhattan. In reality there's actually a lot of low key people here (even in Manhattan). My friend was visiting NYC this week and stayed with another friend in Manhattan during the week. It really got to him - but he stayed with us this weekend. We moved to Long Island City a handful of months ago (in Queens) and he was amazed at how much more relaxed everyone was here and friendlier. The reality is that in areas like Brooklyn and Queens, you'll find people are more down to earth and relaxed than your average Manhattan person. There are many low key people in Manhattan too, don't get me wrong, but yeah. NYC is a big place - the stereotypes are not always true, or not as big as you might think.

Regarding what you make - $160K is totally fine in NYC. In reality using the 40X income requirement, you could go up to $4000/month. Depending on what you want, it's fine. When I lived in Upper West Side in Manhattan, my 1 bedroom was around $2900/month which was totally fine for 1 person. We moved to Long Island City at the end of last year which is in Queens. Our apartment is on the water facing Manhattan with an awesome view. Our building is pretty new - gym, doorman, and all that stuff including a nice big balcony. We pay $3500/month for it but there's buildings nearby where you could get a similar 1 bedroom for closer to $3000-$3200/month. Keep in mind that in Brooklyn and Queens, there are places that are definitely even cheaper. My fiance used to live in Astoria in Queens and her 2 bedroom was $2300/mo total a few years ago. The living room was massive - 25 feet long FYI.

To be honest though, if you're open to suggestions I'd check out Chicago. It's a pretty low key place on average and a bit cheaper than DC and NYC. I like NYC but Chicago is still my favorite place I've ever lived as an actual resident. Would have zero hesitation of living there again. The new luxury 1 bedroom places downtown are still around $2500/mo there and a little older renovated luxury 1 bedrooms downtown are closer to $2000/mo.
Marothisu ....perhaps you'r right that I could find something more affordable in NYC. I'll have to check out both Astoria and Long Island City. Are they good for mid 30s crowd?

Chicago's too far from east coast. I know not that far but I would like to be within 3 hour drive is possible from SE Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City