Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:58 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, but Beverly Hills isn't uniformly affluent and in that sense they seem to be similar. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/u...e-housing.html

Both seem to be similar in terms of built environment as well.
I think of White Plains as being NY's answer to Pasadena. Both are more fleshed out cities than Beverly Hills.
Having said that, there are a lot of Westchester County communities that could stand toe-to-toe with BH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Well since Beverly Hills is a suburb with a solid downtown for dining and shopping, I'm only going to mention cities that also have good downtown areas.

Montclair, NJ
South Orange, NJ
Summit, NJ
Westfield, NJ
Englewood, NJ
Garden City, NY
Huntington, NY
Scarsdale, NY
White Plains, NY

Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
The reality is that there is no NYC-area equivalent of Beverly Hills - the cities are laid out far too differently. I would imagine that most people living in Beverly Hills would be living in Manhattan in NYC. Beverly Hills exists in the middle of LA's center of gravity (West Side), which makes suggestions like White Plains, Manhaset, Short Hills etc. not even in the same ballpark. They are too far removed from the action.

Look, NYC has great suburbs (which have been mentioned), but they are (more or less) strictly suburban. There is no hot dining scene, nightlife or anything like that. Yes, there are some decent restaurants and a few bars here and there. But the center of the NYC-area for all things entertainment/scene is, has always been, and always will be Manhattan. The one suburban town that I could possibly make an argument for, Greenwhich, was excluded from contention. But Greenwhich is too far from Manhattan to really be like BH.

I think Buckhead in Atlanta or Highland Park in Dallas would be much closer comparisons, frankly.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:03 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
The reality is that there is no NYC-area equivalent of Beverly Hills - the cities are laid out far too differently. I would imagine that most people living in Beverly Hills would be living in Manhattan in NYC. Beverly Hills exists in the middle of LA's center of gravity (West Side), which makes suggestions like White Plains, Manhaset, Short Hills etc. not even in the same ballpark. They are too far removed from the action.

Look, NYC has great suburbs (which have been mentioned), but they are (more or less) strictly suburban. There is no hot dining scene, nightlife or anything like that. Yes, there are some decent restaurants and a few bars here and there. But the center of the NYC-area for all things entertainment/scene is, has always been, and always will be Manhattan. The one suburban town that I could possibly make an argument for, Greenwhich, was excluded from contention. But Greenwhich is too far from Manhattan to really be like BH.

I think Buckhead in Atlanta or Highland Park in Dallas would be much closer comparisons, frankly.
Beverly Hills doesn't really have "nightlife" in the typical sense. It has good dining and of course shopping. But many of the suburban NYC towns have better nightlife than BH and can equal it for dining. Shopping is challenging, though.

In the way that BH is within LA, some of the suburban NYC towns mentioned at least provide a large commuter population into Manhattan. Not all of them are secluded and stand-alone. But yes, overall, the suburban NYC cities are not comparable to BH since BH is more integrated into the fabric of LA in every single way and its more of a destination than any of the suburban NYC cities.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:46 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
manhattan ?

Old 04-30-2019, 02:54 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Glen Cove, on the north shore of Long Island, is about the most "exclusive" community I've encountered; drove in early (around 7AM) on a Sunday morning and was immediately met by local police. (In fairness, I encountered no problems when I returned a few hours later.)

Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
You said to leave out Greenwich, CT, but Greenwich is the answer. Aside from that, probably Westport.

On a smaller level, the other communities along the line in Connecticut fit (Darien, New Canaan, Wilton, etc), but they are far more uniformly wealthy than Beverly Hills and Greenwich.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:43 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
The upper east side.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:15 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNYC5299 View Post
I'm looking for a city that has a similar setting to Beverly Hills, suburban, near a city environment, Greenwich and the upper east side are excluded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The upper east side.
Ummmm...

Old 05-01-2019, 07:45 AM

675 posts, read 644,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You said to leave out Greenwich, CT, but Greenwich is the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine
The upper east side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Ummmm...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City