Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times

Advertisements

Riverdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 09:20 AM

1,122 posts, read 925,690 times
why, The Hamptons (of course)..... quick hop by helicopter.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
A lot of people are focusing on just bougieness and opulence and wealth and status without considering that BH is also a massive business hub with a significant downtown full of shops, restaurants, businesses (lawyers/entertainment/consulting), car dealerships, medical offices, etc. Yes, it's bougie and there are massive suburban homes north of the downtown area that barely anyone could ever dream of affording. But there are also tons of apartments and condos east, south and west of the downtown area. It's not a secluded, exclusive suburb far away from the rest of LA. It's in the middle of LA with numerous bus lines, it's getting a new subway line through it, its public schools allow students on permit from outside city limits (one of my best friends is from Koreatown and went there), the downtown is a tourist destination with Rodeo Drive, and it doesn't give off that "exclusive" vibe that others aren't welcome due to the fact it has so much going on that attracts residents from outside the city limits.

While Greenwich and the UES are not allowed to be considered, they are, in fact, the closest. That's why I wouldn't consider any LI cities or Short Hills or similarly suburban cities of NJ as the closest to BH.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:56 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Greenwich is too far away from the center of gravity and not flashy enough, the Hamptons is more like Montecito, Manhattan has the shopping, the glamor, the concentration of celebs, but is too urban, one of BH's hallmarks is massive mansions. But I digress.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Greenwich is too far away from the center of gravity and not flashy enough, the Hamptons is more like Montecito, Manhattan has the shopping, the glamor, the concentration of celebs, but is too urban, one of BH's hallmarks is massive mansions. But I digress.
Greenwich is too far away, but it's at least upscale, has a large downtown, is not entirely suburban with just a strip here and there of retail in single-story buildings, and from what it seems like it can attract outside shoppers/diners. It still is not in the middle of everything in the same way, but I'm not sure anything else would come close.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Maybe there really isn’t a Beverly Hills perfect comp in the NY metro area....maybe Palm Beach (if we talk East Coast) is a better analogy ??

Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Maybe there really isn’t a Beverly Hills in the NY metro area....maybe Palm Beach (if we talk East Coast) is a better analogy ??
It would be close. Only one I can think of in the Northeast since the developments of the Northeast and West Coast are so different would be Georgetown. I'm sure there is something in Boston, but I wouldn't feel comfortable making a good comparison there. Maybe Back Bay? But something that's urban, wealthy, almost entirely integrated with the city, great shopping and dining, family friendly, lots of businesses (not just retail/dining), not entirely SFH so that young singles can live in small apartments.

TBH, if we had to choose something in NYC Metro that's fully integrated with the city and all that and not too far removed, I might actually go with Bay Ridge or Hoboken.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Greenwich is too far away, but it's at least upscale, has a large downtown, is not entirely suburban with just a strip here and there of retail in single-story buildings, and from what it seems like it can attract outside shoppers/diners. It still is not in the middle of everything in the same way, but I'm not sure anything else would come close.
True but to be Beverly Hills as far as shopping, a town needs to bring it. Hard. Like Chanel, like Balenciaga, like Harry Winston.

As I mentioned earlier, Americana Manhasset qualifies as much as a mall can. The Mall at Short Hills is another really great mall.

Shopping is just one aspect of course but if we're talking Beverly Hills, it's a huge factor.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
True but to be Beverly Hills as far as shopping, a town needs to bring it. Hard. Like Chanel, like Balenciaga, like Harry Winston.

As I mentioned earlier, Americana Manhasset qualifies as much as a mall can. The Mall at Short Hills is another really great mall.

Shopping is just one aspect of course but if we're talking Beverly Hills, it's a huge factor.
True. They match on the shopping aspect, but not on the integrated and urban aspect.

Old 05-01-2019, 11:10 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
True. They match on the shopping aspect, but not on the integrated and urban aspect.
What about Jamaica Estates in Queens? It has fancy houses and abuts a main shopping strip known as Jamaica Avenue which has top notch stores like VIM as well as a lot of top notch ethnicity shopping places where you can buy South Asian and African styles. Similar to how Beverly Hills has a strong Iranian influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City