Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 09:17 AM

93,273 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Bright: Columbus, Indianapolis, Minneapolis
Decent: Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, St Louis
Bleak: Detroit ,Cleveland, Buffalo
Buffalo isn't in the Midwest and it has actually had some investment in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The formula for success is to have a world class university as the anchor. That draws the white collar professional jobs that create intellectual property. Those high wage people drive the local economy. With that as a metric, Chicago is the clear #1. Pittsburgh has CMU and I guess you lump Penn State into Pittsburgh. Madison Wisconsin. Michigan. Case Western. Ohio State. Purdue. Notre Dame. I'm sure I'm overlooking a few. If you can't point at a top-100 university, you probably don't have a very good long term outlook.
Which is a Northeastern city/area...

Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Buffalo isn't in the Midwest and it has actually had some investment in recent years.
But Buffalo is very Midwest-like. It has many similarities to Cleveland and other Great Lakes cities. It has less in common with older Colonial cities in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic even though it shares a state with such a city in NYC.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
But Buffalo is very Midwest-like. It has many similarities to Cleveland and other Great Lakes cities. It has less in common with older Colonial cities in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic even though it shares a state with such a city in NYC.
Again, it is not in the Midwest. I understand what you saying, but the Northeast and any national region is not uniform in terms of character.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Again, it is not in the Midwest. I understand what you saying, but the Northeast and any national region is not uniform in terms of character.
... which is why these designations are arbitrary and not always relevant.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
... which is why these designations are arbitrary and not always relevant.
It is Northeastern. Stop playing... Said designations are geographical and have variation within them.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The formula for success is to have a world class university as the anchor. That draws the white collar professional jobs that create intellectual property. Those high wage people drive the local economy. With that as a metric, Chicago is the clear #1. Pittsburgh has CMU and I guess you lump Penn State into Pittsburgh. Madison Wisconsin. Michigan. Case Western. Ohio State. Purdue. Notre Dame. I'm sure I'm overlooking a few. If you can't point at a top-100 university, you probably don't have a very good long term outlook.
Pittsburgh also has Carnegie-Mellon, a top science/engineering school, and the U of Pitt, which is decent, and has a very-highly ranked medical center ( top 20, easily)...

Old 07-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
It is Northeastern. Stop playing... Said designations are geographical and have variation within them.
I'm not playing and I won't drop the point. The genesis of the thread is discussing Midwestern cities with the brightest or bleakest futures. I didn't, but one of the posters noted Buffalo which was insightful because, geographically, demographically, economically, it is very similar to nearby Midwestern cities: especially Cleveland. Buffalo is traditionally designated/derided as a so-called "Rust Belt" city -- a derogatory, discretionary term I despise. And, again, in that sense, it has little in common with cities that are considered Northeastern. You only consider as such because it is in a rather elongated state that extends to the southeast into the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast Corridor. Can you honestly say that Buffalo is a true Mid-Atlantic city? The answer is: no.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Pittsburgh also has Carnegie-Mellon, a top science/engineering school, and the U of Pitt, which is decent, and has a very-highly ranked medical center ( top 20, easily)...
Pitt is more than just "decent"; in some ratings (of which most I take with a grain of salt) it is a top-50 research university. It has more than just a high-rated medical center. It also has one of the oldest and leading Philosophy departments in the nation, as well...

btw Cleveland has Case Western Reserve U. which is also a major (some say top) private research university with strengths in engineering, medicine, theater and other liberal arts.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Pitt is more than just "decent"; in some ratings (of which most I take with a grain of salt) it is a top-50 research university. It has more than just a high-rated medical center. It also has one of the oldest and leading Philosophy departments in the nation, as well...

btw Cleveland has Case Western Reserve U. which is also a major (some say top) private research university with strengths in engineering, medicine, theater and other liberal arts.
Pittsburgh also has Duquesne University, another decent Catholic option. Cleveland also has the nationally-recognized Cleveland Clinic ( another top 20 med center), but unfortunately, it doesn't have any other colleges/universities of any renown, whatsoever..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City