Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with the Best National Reputation in your Eyes
Pittsburgh 9 5.70%
Atlanta 10 6.33%
Nashville 18 11.39%
New Orleans 0 0%
Houston 3 1.90%
San Antonio 0 0%
Phoenix 2 1.27%
Dallas 18 11.39%
Seattle 39 24.68%
Charlotte 3 1.90%
Denver 14 8.86%
San Diego 13 8.23%
Tampa 0 0%
Orlando 0 0%
Raleigh 12 7.59%
Austin 14 8.86%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Miami 3 1.90%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 AM

264 posts, read 250,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
San Diego all the way, although partly because it's in California and any city in California gets points just for bring in California.

Seattle is a close second.

Out here on the West Coast people still think even Austin is redneck hick country, even though it's not.
Oh really? I thought Austin is probably one of the first cities Californians flee to who want it cheaper but maintain somewhat of a liberal Californian mentality. Pretty surprised on the general perception you observed but then again thinking about it, not so much considering I stereotype a lot of Californians as being in a unpoppable bubble of ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 09:48 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Update. I ended up voting for Nashville. Probably would have voted Seattle if it wasn't for that whole "Seattle is dying" documentary. I think that hurt its reputation slightly.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
I would vote for Nashville as the city itself has quite the reputation but it's always with the caveat of it being held back by the state. If you could take Nashville and leave TN it'd be great.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:10 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Oh really? I thought Austin is probably one of the first cities Californians flee to who want it cheaper but maintain somewhat of a liberal Californian mentality. Pretty surprised on the general perception you observed but then again thinking about it, not so much considering I stereotype a lot of Californians as being in a unpoppable bubble of ignorance.
Yeah I don’t agree with his assessment either. In California, Austin is the only city people ever talk about positively in Texas.

Ironically though, more Californians move to DFW than any other metro in Texas.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:21 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Probably Austin. Some of the bigger places are known enough that we know their problems as well. Like Atlanta’s traffic or Houston’s flooding. Austin is still in the boom phase where most anything people know about it is positive.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:01 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Too many to just pick one, so I'll go with groupings. It's hard to hammer down what people across the country think of other metros/cities. It varies WIDELY from region to region. Everyone's interpretation of that will be different (as seen in a few posts). So these choices are based on MY opinion based on my travels, experiences, preferences, and studies, not TV/movies/public opinion/stereotypes. So no "right" or "wrong" choices. In no particular order:

My Most Highly Regarded:
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Nashville
San Antonio
Charlotte
Dallas
San Diego
Tampa
Orlando
Minneapolis

Favorable Opinion:
Houston
Phoenix
Denver
Raleigh

I really Don't Care For:
New Orleans
Seattle
Austin
Las Vegas
Miami

Old 05-08-2019, 11:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Probably Austin. Some of the bigger places are known enough that we know their problems as well. Like Atlanta’s traffic or Houston’s flooding. Austin is still in the boom phase where most anything people know about it is positive.
Exactly. Even then, you expect worsening traffic and gentrification/increasing COL with a rapidly growing metro, but you're not hearing about a swelling homeless population or an uptick in crime when it comes to Austin.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:49 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
San Diego all the way, although partly because it's in California and any city in California gets points just for bring in California.

Seattle is a close second.

Out here on the West Coast people still think even Austin is redneck hick country, even though it's not.
Though Austin is surrounded by redneck, hick country. You don't have to go far..........

Old 05-08-2019, 01:00 PM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
It wasn't easy, but I voted Seattle. I hear a lot of positive things about many cities on this list. Especially Nashville, San Diego, New Orleans, etc. But after thinking on it, I don't know that I hear as many knocks against Seattle as I do most of the others. Nashville is doing exceedingly well, but has a long way to go. San Diego has a great reputation for leisure and weather, but the COL is a constant knock as is how "brown" it is. New Orleans is famed for it's unique culture, cuisine, gorgeous architecture, music, nightlife, etc. But there are vocal knocks against it re: crime, poverty, etc. Non of the negatives here outweigh the positives. Not even close. And Seattle has it's own detractors out there, but I don't hear them weighted as heavily in conversations about Seattle.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:19 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It wasn't easy, but I voted Seattle. I hear a lot of positive things about many cities on this list. Especially Nashville, San Diego, New Orleans, etc. But after thinking on it, I don't know that I hear as many knocks against Seattle as I do most of the others. Nashville is doing exceedingly well, but has a long way to go. San Diego has a great reputation for leisure and weather, but the COL is a constant knock as is how "brown" it is. New Orleans is famed for it's unique culture, cuisine, gorgeous architecture, music, nightlife, etc. But there are vocal knocks against it re: crime, poverty, etc. Non of the negatives here outweigh the positives. Not even close. And Seattle has it's own detractors out there, but I don't hear them weighted as heavily in conversations about Seattle.
Seattle comes up a lot when talking to people because it’s doing so well economically. But if you talk to anyone who is thinking about moving there, it always goes back to housing costs. Some take the plunge anyway, but sticker shock is first and last in a Seattle conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City