Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with the Best National Reputation in your Eyes
New York City 51 43.59%
Los Angeles 6 5.13%
Chicago 13 11.11%
Washington D.C 3 2.56%
San Francisco 10 8.55%
Toronto 34 29.06%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 04:29 PM

8,331 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
These cities plus Boston have the most high paying jobs.

15 Cities with the most $100K+ job ads in May 2019:
26,924 San Francisco
21,726 New York
16,186 Washington DC
13,462 Boston
12,031 Los Angeles
10,642 Chicago
8,734 Seattle
8,432 Dallas
7,174 Philadelphia
6,837 Atlanta
5,649 Denver
4,619 Houston
4,303 Austin
4,047 Minneapolis
3,937 Baltimore

https://www.theladders.com/career-ad...0k-jobs-in-may
Thats not a good number for Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Toronto???? Really??!?

Old 05-18-2019, 12:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,545,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And yet a whole bunch of them end up moving Toronto anyway !
That's because the " bashing " isn't serious.

I could live there, but I prefer the west coast.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The crime rate in Toronto in recent years has been about the same as that of NYC.
All crime?

I thought it was just a spike in murders in 2018. It made the headlines...I think they had 90 or so, almost double their usual. So far as of the end of March, Toronto has had 15, so it's back down.

Meanwhile NYC so far this year is seeing a 30 percent increase in homicides.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:11 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
NYC historically and from a gullible person's eyes is still seen as "the center of the universe", "the model city".

But if you're being realistic, you'd know it also has the reputation of rude people/citizens, dirty streets with garbage bags piled up on the sidewalks, is overly crowded, extremely high COL, it's a skill to drive through Manhattan and make it out with you car in one piece, and overall it's just a very stressful place to be. I wouldn't say that's a necessarily "good" reputation. Oh, and I hope you like giant rats and bed bugs!

D.C.- as a city minus the politics, it should have a very good rep. Unfortunately, politics is *everything* there, so you can't ignore that. Nobody likes being around politics.

Chicago- Nice city, but unfortunately the high murder and crime rate reputation is well deserved, as is the "most corrupt city" in America reputation. It's also geographically surrounded by corn on all sides, so compared to the other cities which offer a more interesting terrain, this might be boring for a lot of people. Don't forget the frigid and literally deadly cold winters and the hot, humid, and sticky summers that you naturally get being in the good ol' Midwest.

SF/Bay Area- Crazy hippies/hipsters, homelessness, needles, extraordinarily expensive, you basically *need* a high paying tech job to have an even decent life there, Starbucks drinking snowflakes, earthquakes, yadda yadda yadda. Not a good reputation

LA- Illegal immigrants and homeless people in tents, gang reputation (though this is mostly outdated at this point), abhorrent traffic and smog, no good public transportation for a city of its size, horrible airport, and a stuck up mentality if you happen to live in the wealthy areas. Not to mention the "fake" people. Oh, and it's one of those places that hardly has "seasons".

Never even been there, but Toronto has my vote for best rep, simply because all other cities have their own really bad problems that stand out easily. That doesn't necessarily mean *I* would live there, just reputation-wise alone (what this post is asking) I'd say it wins for the best.

Last edited by CCrest182; 05-18-2019 at 01:26 PM..

Old 05-18-2019, 01:23 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Definitely Toronto. You rarely hear anyone say anything negative about Toronto.

NYC and LA are polarizing that I feel most people love or hate those two cities.

Chicago and SF get hate for a lot of different reasons. Chicago for crime and its politics. SF for its politics and people.

DC, being the political capital I think doesn't necessarily get a bad reputation but doesn't get a good one either. I think it's kind of "just there" for most Americans and most seem to care less about it as a city or its residents.
I never hear anyone say anything negative, or positive, about Toronto. It's not in the US, and, generally, not on most people's radar.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
NYC historically and from a gullible person's eyes is still seen as "the center of the universe", "the model city".

But if you're being realistic, you'd know it also has the reputation of rude people/citizens, dirty streets with garbage bags piled up on the sidewalks, is overly crowded, extremely high COL, it's a skill to drive through Manhattan and make it out with you car in one piece, and overall it's just a very stressful place to be. I wouldn't say that's a necessarily "good" reputation. Oh, and I hope you like giant rats and bed bugs!

D.C.- as a city minus the politics, it should have a very good rep. Unfortunately, politics is *everything* there, so you can't ignore that. Nobody likes being around politics.

Chicago- Nice city, but unfortunately the high murder and crime rate reputation is well deserved, as is the "most corrupt city" in America reputation. It's also geographically surrounded by corn on all sides, so compared to the other cities which offer a more interesting terrain, this might be boring for a lot of people. Don't forget the frigid and literally deadly cold winters and the hot, humid, and sticky summers that you naturally get being in the good ol' Midwest.

SF/Bay Area- Crazy hippies/hipsters, homelessness, needles, extraordinarily expensive, you basically *need* a high paying tech job to have an even decent life there, Starbucks drinking snowflakes, earthquakes, yadda yadda yadda. Not a good reputation

LA- Illegal immigrants and homeless people in tents, gang reputation (though this is mostly outdated at this point), abhorrent traffic and smog, no good public transportation for a city of its size, horrible airport, and a stuck up mentality if you happen to live in the wealthy areas. Not to mention the "fake" people. Oh, and it's one of those places that hardly has "seasons".

Never even been there, but Toronto has my vote for best rep, simply because all other cities have their own really bad problems that stand out easily.
Chicago is not surrounded by corn on all sides. Also, you forget, on one side of the city, is a lake that looks like an ocean. A convenient oversight on your part?

Old 05-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Chicago is not surrounded by corn on all sides. Also, you forget, on one side of the city, is a lake that looks like an ocean. A convenient oversight on your part?
Right, but a lot of those cities have not only water, but mountains/hills as well. More interesting to a lot of people rather than flatness and corn, which can be found to the north, west, south, and southeast of Chicago. So basically, all sides other than the immediate east.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I never hear anyone say anything negative, or positive, about Toronto. It's not in the US, and, generally, not on most people's radar.
No, but it's a major north American city that is certainly worthy of comparison to other North American cities.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Per the CD rules for City>City " Compare U.S. or North American cities to one another..."

It doesn't have to be in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City