Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 09:06 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Columbus is basically 50% denser than Charlotte. It has a larger population in a smaller area.

Here are the densities of those 4 cities

1) Cleveland- 4,954
2) Columbus- 4,053
3) Atlanta- 3,664
4) Charlotte- 2,800

If you expand Cleveland out to 217 sq miles it only has ~850,000 people which is less than Columbus.
I don’t know how you got that stat, which direction do you expand in to be charitable to Cleveland. My family in Ohio definitely refers to Cleveland as their big city as much as they hate that being from Columbus.

I do know Cuyahoga County has 1.2 million people in 450 sq miles, Fulton county exceeds that by 70 or so Miles with a smaller population.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:28 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Columbus is basically 50% denser than Charlotte. It has a larger population in a smaller area.

Here are the densities of those 4 cities

1) Cleveland- 4,954
2) Columbus- 4,053
3) Atlanta- 3,664
4) Charlotte- 2,800

If you expand Cleveland out to 217 sq miles it only has ~850,000 people which is less than Columbus.
There's more that goes into how big a city feels besides population density though. When you take other factors into account like daytime population, mass transit, the pace of new development (combined with existing development of course), etc., I think most people would argue that Columbus and Charlotte aren't too dissimilar in terms of how big they feel within the core, although they aren't laid out very similarly. OSU does give Columbus an advantage there though.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
using population density of cities to determine which is more dense is as useful as using the population of cities to determine which is larger.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
using population density of cities to determine which is more dense is as useful as using the population of cities to determine which is larger.
Which “feels” larger is the intent here. Someone in DT Pitt may think it feels larger than any particular CBD of Atlanta, despite Atlanta being over 2x larger.

I don’t know why are people are acting as if this isn’t a thing. You can understand that one city is more major economically, politically and culturally, while conceding it doesn’t compete in other categories.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:25 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I don’t know how you got that stat, which direction do you expand in to be charitable to Cleveland. My family in Ohio definitely refers to Cleveland as their big city as much as they hate that being from Columbus.

I do know Cuyahoga County has 1.2 million people in 450 sq miles, Fulton county exceeds that by 70 or so Miles with a smaller population.
I started with the County and subtracted our the least dense municipalities if they were contiguous with each other or the border of the county.

Also the Fulton/Cuyahoga county thing exists because a large part of the urban core in DeKalb County while Cleveland is dead center in Cuyahoga County

Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Which “feels” larger is the intent here. Someone in DT Pitt may think it feels larger than any particular CBD of Atlanta, despite Atlanta being over 2x larger.

I don’t know why are people are acting as if this isn’t a thing. You can understand that one city is more major economically, politically and culturally, while conceding it doesn’t compete in other categories.

I agree but I’m saying using population density statistics is pretty meaningless to get a feel for which city feels more dense. Unless the cities are the same land area, population density #’s are meaningless.

Cleveland has only 77 sq. Miles vs. 133 for Atlanta... Columbus has 217, Charlotte has 305.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
No, it isn’t. Sandy Springs/Dunwoody and DeKalb County are bustling, but aren’t CBDs in Atlanta proper.

Like I Said, New Orleans is definitely vibrant and doesn’t have heavy rail transit... and lacks the population density of Cleveland.
Arts Center, Peachtree Center, and a couple other N/S trunk line stations are buisier than the entire Green/Blue Line in Cleveland and Five Points about as busy as the entire Cleveland rail Network.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I agree but I’m saying using population density statistics is pretty meaningless to get a feel for which city feels more dense. Unless the cities are the same land area, population density #’s are meaningless.
Huh? That’s the whole reason we look at population densities. Different cities are arbitrarily different sizes by virtue of differing land sizes, residential Pop density is one metric to use to get a more accurate depiction of city’s health.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:35 AM

5,825 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
I kindve figured Columbus wasn’t up there, but just threw it in based off stats alone.

Definitely not trying troll Cleveland, I’m pretty sure there will be people with a different analysis than yours. I get your point about peak hour populations, but even that split up here in Atlanta with most people heading to dunwoody/sandy springs/Smyrna, but even so ... *residential* population density is what fuels intown vibrancy throughout the day.

New Orleans is half the size of Cleveland, but plenty of the people on this board find it more vibrant than in-town Atlanta in a sense despite it not sprawling like Atlanta. And yes, I understand tourism, but it is still 1.2 million strong.

This is why I’m asking the question for Cleveland. It looks very vibrant from the pictures.
Quote:
No, it isn’t. Sandy Springs/Dunwoody and DeKalb County are bustling, but aren’t CBDs in Atlanta proper.

Like I Said, New Orleans is definitely vibrant and doesn’t have heavy rail transit... and lacks the population density of Cleveland.
You're the only person mentioning Roswell and these suburban areas, it's like you're trying to change the narrative of your own thread. You said you were talking about city limits only...

Regardless, my point about peak hours on MARTA and your subsequent reply to that illustrates the fatal flaw in this thread from jump. A city's population and most associated factors aren't limited to the arbitrary limits of a city. Your premise is simplistic, and your analogous correlations to other cities aren't relevant here. You asked which city feels more vibrant or feels busier. The answer is Atlanta and it isn't close...

Quote:
Despite the Density numbers Atlanta feels more like Boston’s size in town than Cleveland.

One thing that does give people an inflated sense of Rist Belt cities is the fact people only really visit the intact neighborhoods which gives a false impression of the city. Sure UC/ Little Italy or Ohio City is nice but they don’t visit anywhere in the Southeastern quadrant of the city which has swaths of empty lots and such.
All true...

Quote:
Population density certainly can't be the only characteristic for which to make your case, that's for sure...

Quote:

You sound upset that you aren't getting the answers you want, which strengthens the feeling this was a troll thread. Downtown Pittsburgh is very vibrant and has a hustle and bustle to it becoming of a larger city, but it wouldn't be accurate to say it feels larger than Atlanta and I'm not sure anyone would make that argument; instead they'd highlight the aesthetic differences between the two and why Pittsburgh may be more appealing. But I'm not sure anyone without an agenda would say Pittsburgh feels larger than Atlanta...

Old 05-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Arts Center, Peachtree Center, and a couple other N/S trunk line stations are buisier than the entire Green/Blue Line in Cleveland and Five Points about as busy as the entire Cleveland rail Network.
What do you mean as busy?

Do you mean people alleged to be passing through, or are we counting breeze card scans? If the latter, that’s interesting. Didn’t know that.

If the former, I would just say okay. Lots of people park at college park/east Point stations and commute through five points to other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City