Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 07:16 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Nonsense. Name me all those 'things to do' in Atlanta, and I can not only match, but exceed your list. Atlanta doesn't have the cultural force as Cleveland; doesn't have a major body of water with restaurant, museum and water sports and other activities, esp along the Cuyahoga River in the Flats (yeah, the Lakefront has overall sucked haven been industrialized for so long, but even that is beginning to change, esp around North Coast Harbor downtown near the Rock & Roll HOF). If you like endless sprawl-burbs, shopping malls and strip shopping forever, sure, Metro Atlanta has got way more of that than Cleveland -- though Cleveland certainly has its share...
I can agree that Cleveland certainly holds its own when it comes to amenities/things to do within its urban core. But the quip about suburbia was irrelevant since that's not the subject of discussion. Good defense of Cleveland, especially highlighting its natural recreational advantages, but that hardly means that Atlanta doesn't have its strengths also. A good one to mention would have been Pemberton Place, which is where Centennial Olympic Park is and all of the museums/attractions that have clustered around it. And in terms of individual attractions, Atlanta also has a presidential library and a historic site dedicated to a 20th century widely-recognized transformational world leader. I'm just mentioning them as standouts relative to Atlanta and not as a direct comparison to anything Cleveland has.

Quote:
Downtown Cleveland is considerably more vibrant than downtown Atlanta -- and don't give me Midtown, because that's not downtown Atlanta. There is more quality, high-end shopping within Atlanta, esp when you consider Buckhead, with its many swanky shops. But Buckhead is very suburban in nature, as is much of Atlanta compared to an old, traditional industrial city such as Cleveland.

As for Atlanta Midtown, I'll agree: it's hot. It's got a lot of eye-candy high-rise apts/condos and even a street presence along Peachtree/Piedmont streets that downtown Atlanta lacks. Cleveland does not have nearly the density and quality of high-rise apts Atlanta has; I'll give you that. Cleveland's more of a traditional house city with some small walk-up brick buildings (and even a few old row/terrace apts thrown in). But it's more neighborhood-y than Atlanta, overall.
As it has already been mentioned, Midtown Atlanta certainly belongs in the conversation when talking about vibrancy or any other metric as it is a secondary CBD and has some functions of a traditional downtown. It's somewhat hard to compare vibrancy in one city's CBD vs two in another's and for that reason I'm not sure one could say Cleveland runs away with that one. And let's not imply that downtown Atlanta lacks vibrancy altogether because that wouldn't be accurate. It mostly struggles with after-hours activity (as the center of gravity for nightlife shifted to Midtown a while ago), but during the day, it's quite bustling in several spots: the Five Points MARTA station area; the area bounded by Ralph McGill, Courtland, Ellis, and Ted Turner where many of the hotels are concentrated; GSU's campus; Pemberton Place which is markedly more touristy; etc. And although Buckhead has a more suburban character, it is a third major CBD that clearly contributes to a city-like feel in its own way with it's own set of amenities.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I know what this thread is about. A lot of you love to use cities like Cleveland, Detroit or St. Louis to get an easy win for Atlanta. Plus, these cities are America's whipping boys for the media, social media and society at large because of their reputations (i.e. Mistake by the Lake, bad economy, bad environment, lack of cool jobs, crime-infested, bad sports teams) and they're easier to pick on because they're not highlighted in the national media darlings, TV/movies, music 24/7.

And, the media and expats have convinced you that those places must be the worst places on Earth. Why it can't be Atlanta vs. Houston? Are you guys afraid that you might lose to them? Some of these "City vs. City" posts can be outright ridiculous. Most of you that are dogging Cleveland never even set foot in it; you're just going by what you heard, what you read online or outdated jokes. I would like to visit Atlanta one day, I'm sure it's a nice city. Even if I lived there, I wouldn't dog other cities just to pump up Atlanta 'cause it sounds like straight insecurity.
Nobody was 'dogging' anyplace prior to TheProf's ant-Atlanta tirade.

I'm from Cleveland, and Atlanta is where I much prefer to be. Again, outside of the cultural legacy due to old industrial fortunes, Cleveland can't touch Atlanta in any category.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
It would come down to Atlanta or Cleveland. Columbus is not a major city like the other two.
Columbus has more people in both the city and metro area than Cleveland. What are you using to say it's not a major city?

Also, this is a weird comparison.

Also, Cleveland homers are the worst. There's a reason there are occasional bans on Cleveland threads here.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:18 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Don’t count Columbus out. They have some great urban neighborhoods that are very unique. The Short North is one of the best neighborhoods in the country.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:32 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

I'm from Cleveland, and Atlanta is where I much prefer to be. Again, outside of the cultural legacy due to old industrial fortunes, Cleveland can't touch Atlanta in any category.
Let's be real, most of these "City vs. City" threads is about people trying to get wins (and for some) easy wins for their city or get into a **** contest. Every time Cleveland is mentioned with cities like Atlanta, we all know it's about getting an advantage for that city.

Why didn't you come up with an Atlanta vs. Houston thread? Why do an Atlanta vs Cleveland thread? Plus, almost everybody and their mamas have their minds made up the cities: Atlanta is paradise, Cleveland is a s**thole. Atlanta is the hip and cool that all the cool kids move to , Cleveland is industrial and that's where all the uncool kids stay because they can't afford to move anywhere else, and if you can move; Lord knows you don't come back. Some of them may have been to both cities, but most people haven't set in these cities ; they're going by national media, TV/movies, music, reality shows, etc. I'm not anti-Atlanta or any other city but it seems like folks in Atlanta and other cities are more anti-Cleveland. FWIW, cities that have cultural legacies of industrial fortunes like Cleveland or Detroit isn't a bad thing; that's what built this country for your people in Atlanta to consume.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Quote:
I know what this thread is about. A lot of you love to use cities like Cleveland, Detroit or St. Louis to get an easy win for Atlanta. Plus, these cities are America's whipping boys for the media, social media and society at large because of their reputations (i.e. Mistake by the Lake, bad economy, bad environment, lack of cool jobs, crime-infested, bad sports teams) and they're easier to pick on because they're not highlighted in the national media darlings, TV/movies, music 24/7.

And, the media and expats have convinced you that those places must be the worst places on Earth. Why it can't be Atlanta vs. Houston? Are you guys afraid that you might lose to them? Some of these "City vs. City" posts can be outright ridiculous. Most of you that are dogging Cleveland never even set foot in it; you're just going by what you heard, what you read online or outdated jokes. I would like to visit Atlanta one day, I'm sure it's a nice city. Even if I lived there, I wouldn't dog other cities just to pump up Atlanta 'cause it sounds like straight insecurity.
I’ve personally conceded that it is ridiculous in terms of political, economic and current cultural importance, we know Atlanta dominates this thread. But not necessarily in in-town big city vibe, which is something the sunbelt is constantly criticized for on here, so it’s not an out of this world thing. From my limited view and experience of Cleveland, it isn’t a slouch in this particular department.

Atlanta vs Houston vs Miami has been done to death, there is only one *recent* thread where Atlanta is up against Cleveland. It is ECF thread. I’m sure lots people would say Seattle trumps Houston in this regard, you all playing up to size a little too much.

These kinds of threads exist on here and have led to healthy discussions.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

Where did I engage in any "anti-Atlanta tirade"? In fact, if you bothered to read, I noted several strengths Atlanta has over Cleveland: population (and job) growth, stronger rail transit, more eye-candy high-rise apts/condos. Again, try reading... you may like it,... if you're capable.

I don't make empty-headed comments like "[Atlanta] can't touch [Cleveland] in any category." Only the weak-minded debate (more like whine) like that. I gave you point-by-point facts in areas Cleveland has strengths over Atlanta. You just don't want to hear it and, apparently, are incapable of addressing it in kind, rather than engaging in childish retorts.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 PM

1,348 posts, read 880,768 times
This thread is a mess lol

Old 05-12-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Let's be real, most of these "City vs. City" threads is about people trying to get wins (and for some) easy wins for their city or get into a **** contest. Every time Cleveland is mentioned with cities like Atlanta, we all know it's about getting an advantage for that city.

Why didn't you come up with an Atlanta vs. Houston thread? Why do an Atlanta vs Cleveland thread? Plus, almost everybody and their mamas have their minds made up the cities: Atlanta is paradise, Cleveland is a s**thole. Atlanta is the hip and cool that all the cool kids move to , Cleveland is industrial and that's where all the uncool kids stay because they can't afford to move anywhere else, and if you can move; Lord knows you don't come back. Some of them may have been to both cities, but most people haven't set in these cities ; they're going by national media, TV/movies, music, reality shows, etc. I'm not anti-Atlanta or any other city but it seems like folks in Atlanta and other cities are more anti-Cleveland. FWIW, cities that have cultural legacies of industrial fortunes like Cleveland or Detroit isn't a bad thing; that's what built this country for your people in Atlanta to consume.
Folks in Atlanta aren't thinking about Cleveland. It's a completely different city in a different part of the country and outside of their sports teams, they are rarely competing for the same things. There is no logical reason for most people in Atlanta to be anti-Cleveland. However, there are plenty of reasons for Rustbelt cities that have seen better days to be anti-Sunbelt; I don't think that involves any specific city-vs-city animus.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
I’ve personally conceded that it is ridiculous in terms of political, economic and current cultural importance, we know Atlanta dominates this thread. But not necessarily in in-town big city vibe, which is something the sunbelt is constantly criticized for on here, so it’s not an out of this world thing. From my limited view and experience of Cleveland, it isn’t a slouch in this particular department.

Atlanta vs Houston vs Miami has been done to death, there is only one *recent* thread where Atlanta is up against Cleveland. It is ECF thread. I’m sure lots people would say Seattle trumps Houston in this regard, you all playing up to size a little too much.

These kinds of threads exist on here and have led to healthy discussions.
I think if you would've replaced Cleveland with, say, Minneapolis, there probably wouldn't have been so many kneejerk reactions as it is generally regarded quite positively in most aspects (outside of weather). Incidentally I think Minneapolis/the Twin Cities would've been a better option than Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City