Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
That's a flat out lie. Where's your proof?
This notion that only Cleveland has "homers" is pretty laughable, but common around here. For whatever reason, some people simply do not like to give credit to cities that they don't deem among the elect.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,277,183 times
Lets get this back on track a bit.

Question for the Cleveland guys/gals.

Is there an international market/multi-ethnic eateries centralized around your downtown area... or heading into the burbs like Atlanta?

That’s a major thing that detracts from Atlanta’s big city feel, I mean I get that it grew different, but I’m so accustomed to big cities having this feature more centralized.

Our most exalted international market is 10-13 Miles east in Scottdale. When visitors say Atlanta doesn’t have a lot of different ethnicities, it’s because these people don’t reside in the core, so this can definitely harm the impression of a city imo.

I know Columbus has a large Somalian neighborhood near the campus, IIRC.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This notion that only Cleveland has "homers" is pretty laughable, but common around here. For whatever reason, some people simply do not like to give credit to cities that they don't deem among the elect.
Exactly!

Old 05-13-2019, 10:36 AM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Lets get this back on track a bit.

Question for the Cleveland guys/gals.

Is there an international market/multi-ethnic eateries centralized around your downtown area... or heading into the burbs like Atlanta?

That’s a major thing that detracts from Atlanta’s big city feel, I mean I get that it grew different, but I’m so accustomed to big cities having this feature more centralized.

Our most exalted international market is 10-13 Miles east in Scottdale. When visitors say Atlanta doesn’t have a lot of different ethnicities, it’s because these people don’t reside in the core, so this can definitely harm the impression of a city imo.

I know Columbus has a large Somalian neighborhood near the campus, IIRC.
It's all in what you prefer. Some prefer more modern, sunbelt type growth in cities, and that's fine. Others prefer the more older, so-called 'legacy' cities from the 19th century. That's OK, too. Atlanta has embraced mass transit, early-on, and that's admirable and has helped it maintain more of a walking, street-presence more-so than other Sunbelt cities.

Where you run into problems is when one says one's 'better' than the other and act like the other -- Cleveland in this case -- has little or nothing to offer. We get that a lot on these threads, and that's unfortunate... btw I've defended other so-called "Rust Belt" cities (hate the term) against this, including Philly, St. Louis and Detroit, to name some... While I maintain that Atlanta's Midtown is technically not downtown Atlanta, there's no question it has strong downtown-like attributes, (again) especially walking districts and convenient mass transit.

As for multi-ethnic/international market eateries, Cleveland has many because it's a multi-ethnic city. The West Side Market, for example, displays many such diverse culinary roots and there are a number of such restaurants (Middle Eastern, Thai, French, Hungarian, ie) nearby. The Market isn't directly downtown but just across the river about 1 mile away.

Last edited by TheProf; 05-13-2019 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 10:52 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Where you run into problems is when one says one's 'better' than the other and act like the other -- Cleveland in this case -- has little or nothing to offer. We get that a lot on these thread, and that's unfortunate...
That's the gospel truth. Praise one city, throw the comparative city under the bus.
Every one of the cities in play here have positive attributes, and that should be acknowledged. Play nice in the sandbox, and speak from a place of knowledge, not ignorance.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I agree. Cleveland "homers" aren't the only ones guilty of it, there are homers in every city. Some people don't want to give credit to cities that aren't deemed elite for various reasons: lack of national media hype, social media, hearsay, reputations or just plain ignorance. A lot of people nowadays have the mentality of that the more city is talked about, the more cooler that city must be. And, most people don't research cities for themselves.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The West and East Side neighborhoods of Atlanta could not be less alike.

Why do people make these statements when it's clear they haven't a clue what they're talking about?
Thank you.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The hilarity of Clevelanders trying to act like their city is more important or even equal to Atlanta while dismissing the one Ohio city that's passed them by. I don't even like Atlanta, but come on.

This is why I said Cleveland homers are the worst. The delusion is strong. I like Cleveland, I think it has a lot of positives, that the urban infill is impressive and one day it will turn around its population trajectory, but man, the forum posters are awful.
The hilarity is in fact that Columbus, although in the main thread, isn't even up for discussion...at all.

So, it sounds like Columbus homers, all 1 of them, dismissed their town altogether, the one that's passed Cleveland
by.

No one has even attempted to make any comparison between Atlanta and Columbus. Oh, wait, there's Short North.

Not only has Columbus passed Cleveland, it has more people in it than Atlanta, Boston, DC, Baltimore, San Francisco, Seattle, and yet, oddly, no one can make only comparisons to, in this case, Atlanta, let alone the other cities listed. At least Cleveland has a few things better than Atlanta.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
It’s because Columbus doesn’t have a bunch of Homers that constantly claim their city is actually an metro of 4.6 million even if the Census says it’s only has 2 million.
Eh, could be that not many care about Columbus or, as in this case, the 1 Columbus homer on here can't even come up with anything that Columbus has over Atlanta. All those rural county Ohio folks, you know those places the media ridicules, move to Columbus, so maybe they're not invested in their new hometown?

So, since the ''metros'' are the same, where are all the Columbus homers? Other than the one that doesn't even live in the U.S., where are all the Central Ohio, Ohio's big city, people? Cue cricket chirp...

Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Westside Atlanta was primarily industrial and dominated by the massive railroad yards. Their presence strongly informs the surrounding neighborhoods and has since the late 19th Century. Even recent development in the city's western neighborhoods gives a nod to this legacy. When you're in West Midtown, you know you're in West Midtown, and nowhere else.

Eastside Atlanta has always been the 'gentile' side of town, with leafy, refined residential streets and small, 'villagey' commercial development ie Virginia-Highland, Decatur, EAV, Morningside and L5P.

West and East Atlanta are like Yin and Yang.
I was talking more the intensity not character of development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City