Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most skyline growth
Miami 47 51.09%
Charlotte 8 8.70%
Houston 8 8.70%
Nashville 10 10.87%
Dallas 6 6.52%
Atlanta 13 14.13%
Orlando 0 0%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 06:48 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,286,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I don't believe linking photos/ videos is a violation of TOS. However, if it is, I apologize in advance!

I voted Miami, due to the fact that Austin isn't up there. Miami has always had a large skyline but has increased exponentially.

Austin, which should have been included in this poll, has changed dramatically since the turn of the century. It isn't nearly as great of a skyline as many of the others listed. However, the change in Austin is ridiculous since 2000 and is on par with those such as Pittsburgh, Denver, Kansas City, Charlotte, Nashville, Portland, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore, and even Minneapolis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWOuKMLLH6w.

Pics:

With all of the towers starting construction and prepping, the city will look completely different again in 2022, with a new tallest at nearly 850ft.
Nice addition here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,423,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Since when are skyline posts allowed again? I never got the message. And as for most of the growth in the South, think again. Seattle continues to have some of the highest number of new skyscrapers in the U.S. along with Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. If we are to re-enter this topic, perhaps we should start with some reality.
Since when have any of these cities ever been a part of the Sunbelt?

Old 05-13-2019, 06:56 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,950,413 times
OK missed that, admittedly. Though Los Angeles and San Francisco are part of the sunbelt, no?

Old 05-13-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Since when are skyline posts allowed again? I never got the message. And as for most of the growth in the South, think again. Seattle continues to have some of the highest number of new skyscrapers in the U.S. along with Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. If we are to re-enter this topic, perhaps we should start with some reality.
The fastest growing metros are largely in the south and Phoenix... you can create your own thread if you want to big up Seattle. There was an interesting Seattle vs Atlanta — buckhead vs Bellevue thread 10 years ago that I may recreate in few weeks. I actually like Seattle, just not appropriate here.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
OK missed that, admittedly. Though Los Angeles and San Francisco are part of the sunbelt, no?
LA is by most standards, it just didn’t come to mind for skylines to me.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:07 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,950,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
LA is by most standards, it just didn’t come to mind for skylines to me.
Well, L.A. is certainly a sunbelt city, but not part of "the south". The skyline there is pretty impressive with two buildings over 1,000 feet, with a third in the proposal stage.

Again, I misread the title of the thread. For history, I have been scolded for offering posts about skylines on this site. So I am wondering when this changed...

Old 05-13-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Well, L.A. is certainly a sunbelt city, but not part of "the south". The skyline there is pretty impressive with two buildings over 1,000 feet, with a third in the proposal stage.

Again, I misread the title of the thread. For history, I have been scolded for offering posts about skylines on this site. So I am wondering when this changed...
Look at the pinned threads, there is new notice at the top of city vs city.

Post away. Post new pictures of Seattle if you have them.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,133,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This isnt a matter of opinion is it? We need only count how many new towers each city has built in that time frame, right?

In that case Id say Miami probably by a landslide.
I guess it could be subjective, since skyline can expands upwards, outwards, or densify. Here is the # of 100+ meter buildings since 2009, built or topped out:
Source: Skyscrapercenter.com
Miami: 46 (5 under construction)
Houston: 27 (3 under construction)
Austin: 17 (3 under construction)
Los Angeles: 15 (6 under construction
Atlanta: 14 (0 under construction)
Las Vegas: 10 (1 under construction)
San Diego: 9 (0 under construction)
Dallas: 8 (1 under construction)
Charlotte: 6 (1 under construction)
Nashville: 5 (0 under construction)
Tampa: 2 (0 under construction)
Orlando: 1 (0 under construction)
San Antonio: 1 (0 under construction)

Old 05-13-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I guess it could be subjective, since skyline can expands upwards, outwards, or densify. Here is the # of 100+ meter buildings since 2009, built or topped out:
Source: Skyscrapercenter.com
Miami: 46 (5 under construction)
Houston: 27 (3 under construction)
Austin: 17 (3 under construction)
Los Angeles: 15 (6 under construction
Atlanta: 14 (0 under construction)
Las Vegas: 10 (1 under construction)
San Diego: 9 (0 under construction)
Dallas: 8 (1 under construction)
Charlotte: 6 (1 under construction)
Nashville: 5 (0 under construction)
Tampa: 2 (0 under construction)
Orlando: 1 (0 under construction)
San Antonio: 1 (0 under construction)
Yeah, I slipped up. Austin should definitely be on here. It would probably be the winner in a sense.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:28 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,423,665 times
Quote:

LA is definitely a part of the Sunbelt. And it is finally starting to see a lot of great change as of recent years.

However, the reason I believe Austin wins out over any of the others is due to the fact of how dramatically the skyline has changed downtown Austin and how much of an overall impact the new construction has had on the skyline vs the others, where numerous mid-rise skyscrapers have a less overall impact of the skyline for both Miami and Houston. Both cities are still recognizable with all of the new construction. Austin, to somebody who hasn't seen the city in the last 15 years, is unrecognizable and looks like a completely different city than it did back then.

I don't think the argument alone should be "how many tall buildings has each city built since 2XXX". More importantly I think it should be "How dramatically has the skyline changed since 2XXX". Both Miami and Houston already had impressive skylines in 2000. Austin didn't.

Overall, everyone will have their own metric to how they believe each skyline has changed. That is awesome and I respect that. I am just explaining mine .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City