Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Skyline?
San Francisco 88 52.69%
Seattle 79 47.31%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:29 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,874,754 times

Advertisements

The angle matters for both. Each has flat parts and hilly parts, water on a couple sides, hills behind from some angles, etc. SF is arguably out of balance with Salesforce's height, while Seattle's Columbia Center is becoming less dominant.

I like bigger and denser cities so SF probably wins. But Seattle is catching up. That includes our second-tallest rising at a huge speed in the core CBD...watch it on the Space Needle Panocam I linked above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 11:04 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The angle matters for both. Each has flat parts and hilly parts, water on a couple sides, hills behind from some angles, etc. SF is arguably out of balance with Salesforce's height, while Seattle's Columbia Center is becoming less dominant.
Yes its all about the angle.

Salesforce and 181 Fremont broke that horrible 'tabletop' effect that SFs skyline had before, it looked flat.

Quote:
I like bigger and denser cities so SF probably wins. But Seattle is catching up. That includes our second-tallest rising at a huge speed in the core CBD...watch it on the Space Needle Panocam I linked above.
What about that 1,100 footer that was proposed a while back? Any news on that?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:01 PM

23,465 posts, read 44,100,317 times
I voted San Francisco, but it's such an interesting comparison. The two have so much in common to me.

Both are hilly West Coast metros surrounding a large inland body of water.
Both have an economy that is strongly oriented to the tech industry.
Both are in the process of creating an unimaginable amount of new wealth.
As a result, both are having difficulties keeping a lid on their runaway real estate markets.

San Francisco, for a metro of its size and stature, has the kind of skyline I would expect of it.
Seattle, for a metro of its size, has a skyline that far exceeds my expectations.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Salesforce and 181 Fremont broke that horrible 'tabletop' effect that SFs skyline had before, it looked flat.

They've filed something about their intent to continue the current master use permit application, which would otherwise sunset soon. The last plan was closer to 1,000', and it's unclear what the FAA will push for.

Another topic....general statement about "approved" as a term. Sometimes people use it to refer to the master use permit. First, approval of a master use permit doesn't mean getting the permit, as the appeal period needs to happen first, and there's other paperwork after that. Second, projects need building permits too.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
They've filed something about their intent to continue the current master use permit application, which would otherwise sunset soon. The last plan was closer to 1,000', and it's unclear what the FAA will push for.
Ok thanks. Hope it gets built.

Quote:
Another topic....general statement about "approved" as a term. Sometimes people use it to refer to the master use permit. First, approval of a master use permit doesn't mean getting the permit, as the appeal period needs to happen first, and there's other paperwork after that. Second, projects need building permits too.
Ugh

Old 05-16-2019, 05:28 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,714,715 times
Quote:
Ok thanks. Hope it gets built.

Ugh
I do as well, but that one seems to be caught in process hell and I haven't heard much about it in the last year or so. The new 850 foot Rainier Square Tower should be finished by next year, though, so at least we have that going for us.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:46 PM

Maybe the FAA process? Otherwise, it seems the developer has let it lag for a while.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:17 PM

6,559 posts, read 12,054,379 times
Quote:

Before it was always the Transamerica Pyramid that was dominant. Now the skyline is looking more like did in "Bicentennial Man".

Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Before it was always the Transamerica Pyramid that was dominant. Now the skyline is looking more like did in "Bicentennial Man".
Yeah you can barely make out the Transamerica Pyramid nowadays as this vid shows:
https://flic.kr/p/2ewvGQ6

Old 05-16-2019, 08:57 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,714,715 times
Quote:
Maybe the FAA process? Otherwise, it seems the developer has let it lag for a while.
I thought the FAA/city permitting were holding it up, but I could be wrong on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City