Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More impressive skyline?
Los Angeles (central) 36 34.29%
San Francisco 69 65.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 PM

45 posts, read 32,821 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles's skyline is iconic and instantly recognizable... for its painful drabness and underwhelming table-top aesthetic. It's an utter embarrassment for America's 2nd-largest city, an island of flat, unremarkable skyscrapers surrounded by a sea of urban sprawl.

Historically, building codes in Los Angeles required skyscrapers to possess rooftop helipads, which contributed to the table-top skyline we see today. The relatively recent repeal of this requirement might help Los Angeles develop a more architecturally diverse and interesting skyline in the future, assuming that NIMBYs don't get their way (which is a laughable assumption in California.)

The density and architectural diversity of San Francisco's skyscrapers combined with the Bay Bridge and San Francisco's peninsular geography ensure that San Francisco's skyline overwhelmingly outclasses Los Angeles's even though Los Angeles technically has more skyscrapers. Honestly, I would peg San Francisco's skyline as the 3rd-best in the US and the best on the West Coast, with Seattle's skyline close behind. However, San Francisco's skyline doesn't hold a candle to Chicago's or New York's, despite San Franciscans' delusions of Manhattanization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agun77 View Post

The density and architectural diversity of San Francisco's skyscrapers combined with the Bay Bridge and San Francisco's peninsular geography ensure that San Francisco's skyline overwhelmingly outclasses Los Angeles's even though Los Angeles technically has more skyscrapers. Honestly, I would peg San Francisco's skyline as the 3rd-best in the US and the best on the West Coast, with Seattle's skyline close behind. However, San Francisco's skyline doesn't hold a candle to Chicago's or New York's, despite San Franciscans' delusions of Manhattanization.
I find the assumption that west coast cities are trying to emulate the skylines of legacy gatekeeper cities to be....amusing.

I can't speak for San Francisco or Seattle but I know that in Los Angeles, the fact that there is actual scenery not made of steel or concrete to look at within the city limits has both now and historically been regarded as a feature, not a shortcoming by city planners. DTLA is becoming a much more desirable place to live in recent years and the clip at which scrapes are shooting up reflects that demand. I doubt we'll see them being built in Hollywood or uptown for scenic reasons.

The reason why the aesthetic design of skyscrapers in places like New York and Chicago is given so much weight is because, well there isn't much else to look at.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:32 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I find the assumption that west coast cities are trying to emulate the skylines of legacy gatekeeper cities to be....amusing.

I can't speak for San Francisco or Seattle but I know that in Los Angeles, the fact that there is actual scenery not made of steel or concrete to look at within the city limits has both now and historically been regarded as a feature, not a shortcoming by city planners. DTLA is becoming a much more desirable place to live in recent years and the clip at which scrapes are shooting up reflects that demand. I doubt we'll see them being built in Hollywood or uptown for scenic reasons.

The reason why the aesthetic design of skyscrapers in places like New York and Chicago is given so much weight is because, well there isn't much else to look at.
The great lake or the the harbor? Why wouldn't you look at those?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:17 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

OMG you are so insecure when it comes to LA. When anyone critiques LA you get so defensive and then have to bring down other cities to try to make some pointless point.

The reason the skyscrapers look the way they do in NYC and Chicago, is because those cities value architecture and aesthetics, they are KNOWN for their architecture, something LA does not invest as much in. To your point LA's selling point is the mountains and beaches, not the urban built environment. People don't go to LA to see the city, rather to see the more natural features. Where NYC and Chicago's selling point is their built environment were you get a very dynamic and rich urban experience, and in some places it's couples with natural scenery like Lake Michigan or the different waterways of NYC.

This doesn't mean that there is "nothing" to look at in NYC and Chicago when it comes to natural scenery, and that LA doesn't offer anything in urban build environment, it's just these cities invest in these areas differently. But I don't think either of the three are devoid of natural scenery or built environment. It's just each city invests in one more area than the other.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Downtown SFs population swells much more from outsiders coming in each day.

Change in Daytime Population Due to Commuting, 2017:
San Francisco City +240,967
Los Angeles City +169,778

In the case of SF, most of these^ people work in DT but as far as LA, the Westside is the principal jobs center, not downtown.
That’s because a lot of what is “outside commuters” for SF is people coming from outer neighborhoods in LA so city population change is apples to oranges.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:41 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That’s because a lot of what is “outside commuters” for SF is people coming from outer neighborhoods in LA so city population change is apples to oranges.
Yeah that's a horrible comparison. Many employees who work in the city of LA already live in the city of LA because the city of LA is so much larger in terms of both population and land area.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:44 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
SF for sure. It's probably the best skyline in California and I can only see Seattle competing on the West Coast.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
San Francisco is the best skyline in the West Coast. It’s only rival is Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City