Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which tourist neighborhood/district do you find the tackiest or the worst?
NYC: Times Square 64 48.85%
LA: Hollywood 30 22.90%
Miami: South Beach 4 3.05%
New Orleans: French Quarter 11 8.40%
Other 22 16.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 05:18 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,952,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Either Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge or Branson would get my vote.
I'm surprised you didn't list The Wisconsin Dells given that you're from WI, though at least the "touristy" things there are more scattered compared to that Parkway between I-40 where the Bass Pro Shops and the upgrade where you climb up to Gatlinburg, where instead of seeing directions relating to a street or road, it's usually "traffic light #". It doesn't get any more soulless than that, and at least a place like Times Square has an easy grid to get around. Branson is just about as bad on MO 76, but at least there's an actual town center with a river.

As for someone who said Disney, the International Drive corridor is a lot worse, with US 192 between Kissimmee and the southern edge of WDW not too far behind. At least there's a lot of natural landscaping inside of WDW as opposed to all those chains. At least Key West has a lot of history and unique architecture, even in the peak touristy areas of Duval St. and Mallory Sq.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
I'm surprised that only one other person said Disney/Orlando!

Disney/Orlando gets my vote!

Old 05-21-2019, 09:06 AM

17,163 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
I'm surprised that only one other person said Disney/Orlando!

Disney/Orlando gets my vote!
Perhaps because Disney itself isn't all that tacky.

International Drive is pretty much the only part of Orlando that fits that description.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
Here in Philly, our biggest tourist trap isn't even in Center City. Whenever I'm in South Philly, I avoid 9th and Passyunk like the plague. At that intersection, Pat's and Geno's are right across the street from each other. Real Philadelphians don't eat cheesesteaks from either of those places, save for when it's 3AM and most other stores are closed.

The unique thing about Philly is that many of the sites that would be considered "tourist traps" in the traditional sense, are actually enjoyed by locals and tourists alike! Reading Terminal Market is a huge example of this. The Art Museum is another example, although I roll my eyes at the people who take a picture with the Rocky statue, run up the steps, and never end up stepping foot in the museum. Eastern State Penitentiary is a slight tourist trap, but we locals love it.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,010 times
I voted for Times Square but quickly realized I should've voted Other. The main strip in Pigeon Forge is probably my least favorite tourist trap neighborhood. Long and somewhat sprawly, loaded down with lame chain restaurants. Dollywood is pretty much the only cool part of it (although it's kind of off the strip). At least other similar copy-paste tourist places (I-drive Orlando, Myrtle Beach, etc.) have okay nightlife.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
I'm surprised you didn't list The Wisconsin Dells given that you're from WI, though at least the "touristy" things there are more scattered compared to that Parkway between I-40 where the Bass Pro Shops and the upgrade where you climb up to Gatlinburg, where instead of seeing directions relating to a street or road, it's usually "traffic light #". It doesn't get any more soulless than that, and at least a place like Times Square has an easy grid to get around. Branson is just about as bad on MO 76, but at least there's an actual town center with a river.
Lol, I considered adding the Wisconsin Dells, but wasn't sure if many people outside of Wisconsin ever heard of it! But yeah, that definitely belongs on the list.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:21 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Seattle's central waterfront on Elliott Bay is pretty touristy and kitchy. It's also a few years into a series of construction projects -- seawall replacement and new main sidewalk (done), rebuilt ferry terminal (in progress), demolition of Highway 99 Viaduct (in progress), rebuild of pier 62 as public open space (in progress), new boulevard/park construction along 99 corridor (soon), aquarium expansion (starts in a couple years), Waterfront Park rebuild (coming), at least a few new buildings coming alongside viaduct path (pending)...

Historically the central four or five blocks has always been tacky and touristy, but with great views of Puget Sound and the Olympic Mountains. At the height of tourist season (May-September) it's quite a mob scene. I like tourists and mob scenes, so that's all good. It mixes in locals too...it's not all tourists.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:10 AM

77 posts, read 62,697 times
The most tourist trap kitschy place I've been is Wisconsin Dells. In terms of drunk people and kitsch, probably Beale Street, Key West, and Bourbon Street.

Not to say that they're not all fun and interesting in their own right. I've enjoyed each for what it is.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:38 AM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Tourist Traps (not to say they aren't fun, but...):
Vegas Strip takes the cake, and I don't find all that much redeeming there. But some others: Charleston Central Market (they have good stuff though), Wisconsin Dells, Branson, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

From this list (worst to best): Hollywood (at least near walk of fame), Times Square, French Quarter (lots of history and some redeeming stuff here-I always enjoy going, but mostly stay off Bourbon St. itself), South Beach (really not a tourist trap IMO)

Old 12-23-2019, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 2,109 times
Hollywood is the biggest tourist trap in the world. Tourists travel there expecting to see someone famous and that hardly ever happens and they end disappointed because of that.

The attractions Hollywood DOES have are just overrated. The Hollywood sign is nothing special and neither is the Walk of Fame. Downtown LA is very bland, which doesn't do much, either.

*I'd love to mention Rodeo Drive and Santa Monica Pier as well. The Pier is always crowded and vastly overrated. Rodeo Drive serves no purpose for tourists, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City