Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 PM

10,123 posts, read 10,035,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And you know this how?

Have you ever been to Downtown Atlanta around Centennial Olympic Park on the weekend, or Midtown around Piedmont Park? Have you ever been in Peachtree Center or the area around GSU during a weekday?

It typically turns out that people this dismissive of Atlanta have never been here.
I was at Centennial Park this past weekend, and actually stayed at the Omni. Downtown Atlanta is most certainly not dead on the weekend.
Plenty of people out and about, parking is still a headache. You have a Park which draws a bunch of people, ferris wheel drawing a bunch of people, surround by hotels and businesses (and a concert venue that was once a church) a long line of people trying to get into a restaurant where the line is out the door and down the block, a million people on scooters, and this all of this was on a Sunday night. Plenty of clubs are restaurants downtown. Atlanta is MUCH busier than it is give credit for in this thread

The fact that Atlanta isn't centralized like Boston is, in my opinion, makes it feel like a larger city. Outside of an already large downtown, you still have Buckhead, Atlantic, and lots of neighborhoods that I'm not too familiar with that has tons of people out and about.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 1 day ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,112,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The fact that Atlanta isn't centralized like Boston is, in my opinion, makes it feel like a larger city. Outside of an already large downtown, you still have Buckhead, Atlantic, and lots of neighborhoods that I'm not too familiar with that has tons of people out and about.
I mean we haven’t been talking about them much, but it’s not like Boston’s neighborhoods and suburbs outside of downtown and Back bay are dead either. (E.g. Cambridge, Somerville, Allston, Fenway, etc.)

Old 05-29-2019, 08:41 PM

6,620 posts, read 16,636,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
You're thinking Metro areas. Urban Areas aren't done by county lines.

You are correct. i was thinking Metro area.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 PM

6,494 posts, read 4,113,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
How do you mean? Not saying there is no sprawl in Boston area, but imo it is one of the lesser sprawly metros in the country.
No it's not, outside of the immediate core of Boston and the suburbs within that semi- highway loop, especially from a highway it feels like the city just dies. Yes their is more communities and things as the Treeline but similar to Atlanta the density is just straight up nonexistent. Then you have cities like Lowell, Lawrence, New Bedford, Fall River and Providence which feel like separate cities because their is no connective density in between them. Atlanta is similar in terms of low-density sprawl, but for me you definitely get a big city feeling more in a setting like this- https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4359...7i16384!8i8192

both are about 11-13 miles from the city, and I think a big city just doesn't need to have high nodes of density but have massive continous sprawl that's dense and feels neverending.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:51 PM

9,815 posts, read 7,988,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Well Boston became a city in 1822, about 20 years before Atlanta became a city? Boston existed as a town for a little less than 200 years before that, but is “urbanization” something that happens at incorporation or sometime after? What metrics do you use to decide when an area has become “urbanized”?
Basically the pre-auto built form.

Quote:
Also what does that have to do with this thread? Just the fact that Atlanta is more car-centric because it’s grown a lot in the last 50 years? Does that make it feel larger or smaller?
I think Atlanta feels much more expansive and larger when driving into the Metro. I-95 feels almost rural approaching 128 from the north, there is no visual clue that you are in a major Metro area.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:02 PM

1,399 posts, read 870,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I was at Centennial Park this past weekend, and actually stayed at the Omni. Downtown Atlanta is most certainly not dead on the weekend.
Plenty of people out and about, parking is still a headache. You have a Park which draws a bunch of people, ferris wheel drawing a bunch of people, surround by hotels and businesses (and a concert venue that was once a church) a long line of people trying to get into a restaurant where the line is out the door and down the block, a million people on scooters, and this all of this was on a Sunday night. Plenty of clubs are restaurants downtown. Atlanta is MUCH busier than it is give credit for in this thread

Do you really think Boston is only about downtown when there are 1.3 mill people in a 130 sq mile area..
Cambridge and Somerville squares, seaport, southie, Jamaica plain and on and on

Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 PM

14,108 posts, read 15,144,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Do you really think Boston is only about downtown when there are 1.3 mill people in a 130 sq mile area..
Not to nitpick but it’s close to 1.45 million.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 PM

1,399 posts, read 870,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
No it's not, outside of the immediate core of Boston and the suburbs within that semi- highway loop, especially from a highway it feels like the city just dies. Yes their is more communities and things as the Treeline but similar to Atlanta the density is just straight up nonexistent. Then you have cities like Lowell, Lawrence, New Bedford, Fall River and Providence which feel like separate cities because their is no connective density in between them. Atlanta is similar in terms of low-density sprawl, but for me you definitely get a big city feeling more in a setting like this- https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4359...7i16384!8i8192

both are about 11-13 miles from the city, and I think a big city just doesn't need to have high nodes of density but have massive continous sprawl that's dense and feels neverending.
You feel like your in a big city when you’re on a big highway and the focal point is power lines?

Old 05-29-2019, 09:07 PM

9,815 posts, read 7,988,976 times
Quote:
You feel like your in a big city when you’re on a big highway and the focal point is power lines?
That's not Atlanta.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:11 PM

10,123 posts, read 10,035,306 times
Quote:
I don't really see the relevance of your post seeing as how you stated yesterday that this is about the city proper of Atlanta and Boston.

Anything you say about anything outside of the city limits of Boston is being omitted and ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City