Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 08:01 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,511,558 times

Advertisements

This thread is hilarious....Atlanta feel larger than Boston? Because it has 7 lane highways? Because 30 miles away there are still strip malls and clusters of big box chains glued together by massive parking lots? Lmao! That's cute. I guess Atlanta feels bigger than New York City, too. It has wider highways, after all.

Old 05-30-2019, 08:03 PM

1,397 posts, read 864,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I think you're right can't have it both ways. But to be fair, Boston and Providence are the same MSA in real life- just not on the census. Like..Boston- Providence is common to hear and all our radio stations and media are there. They cheer for all the sports. Many ex bostonians in Providence, Lotta inner city folks travel to Providence for nightlife, brothers and family often live in both. They share suburbs. He MBTA The train runs out there, PAST Providence. Similar demographics. They're more closely intertwined than DC and BMORE even. It's also about 40 miles from the southern border of Boston not 50. Even closer as the crow flies.
This is spot on

Old 05-30-2019, 08:38 PM

10,117 posts, read 10,001,218 times
Quote:
Nah dude that's impractical. It simply doesn't work like that or feel like that. I found out about Epping new Hampshire when I saw the post. Taunton is a real place a real city full of people who are often in Boston or are fom boston. Epping NH? IDK what that is. No one not from Epping does.
That's not unheard of. Trenton was removed from the Philly MSA, became its own micropolitan area, then joined the NYC CSA, yet it is right outside of Philly and in Philly's media market, Philly architectural vernacular and everything.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:19 PM

6,820 posts, read 6,071,919 times
Quote:
Nah dude that's impractical. It simply doesn't work like that or feel like that. I found out about Epping new Hampshire when I saw the post. Taunton is a real place a real city full of people who are often in Boston or are fom boston. Epping NH? IDK what that is. No one not from Epping does.
To be fair, I’m currently compiling that list of towns I promised (turns out it’s a lot harder than I thought it would be) and there are plenty of ho-hum towns nearer to Boston that I’ve never heard of. Doesn’t change the fact that Epping is really far, but still.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:20 PM

2,860 posts, read 4,630,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
This thread is hilarious....Atlanta feel larger than Boston? Because it has 7 lane highways? Because 30 miles away there are still strip malls and clusters of big box chains glued together by massive parking lots? Lmao! That's cute. I guess Atlanta feels bigger than New York City, too. It has wider highways, after all.

Boston feels larger than Atlanta? Because it's more urban despite being significantly smaller?

I guess cities such as St. Paul, Baltimore, Cincinnati, and even Savannah feels larger than Atlanta because they're more urban....

Old 05-30-2019, 10:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,282,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Boston feels larger than Atlanta? Because it's more urban despite being significantly smaller?

I guess cities such as St. Paul, Baltimore, Cincinnati, and even Savannah feels larger than Atlanta because they're more urban....
Exactly.

Besides, Atlanta’s daytime/visitor population contributes to the size of city.

Residential population density on paper is not actually what you experience on the ground, because more ppl commute to the anchor cities in the big southern cities.

I was just downtown and was pleasantly surprised by pedestrian traffic. These aren’t locals, for sure. But it’s such a convention hub that it feels much bigger than what it is. I wish some of these people would actually visit instead of arguing fallaciously on here.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:55 PM

233 posts, read 369,511 times
No sense in using metrics to show which city is bigger, no one is going to change their mind about which city seems larger.

This video does a great job of showing the extent of Boston's skyline and built-up area. Tried to find a similar video for Atlanta but couldn't. Planes probably don't fly so close to DT Atlanta.

Watch in 1080P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQhvGlkYlKI

Old 05-31-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post

How is Boston significantly smaller? Now I’m supposed to believe information from someone comparing Boston to Baltimore and savannah..no this isn’t remotely biased...Boston has more people in 1/3 square miles of Atlanta and 1.4 mill in a contiguous area of Atlanta’s city limits..

Last edited by Ne999; 05-31-2019 at 05:12 AM..

Old 05-31-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Exactly.

Besides, Atlanta’s daytime/visitor population contributes to the size of city.

Residential population density on paper is not actually what you experience on the ground, because more ppl commute to the anchor cities in the big southern cities.

I was just downtown and was pleasantly surprised by pedestrian traffic. These aren’t locals, for sure. But it’s such a convention hub that it feels much bigger than what it is. I wish some of these people would actually visit instead of arguing fallaciously on here.
Atlanta has pedestrian activity I think moreso than other southern cities ie Houston or Dallas...it’s not Boston in this department...Boston has continuous high density foot, bike traffic throughout its urban core...it’s not dependent on work days vs weekends. Not dependent on sporting events or conventions..it’s just there...People bike, walk, subway it’s what they do..there is continuous activity all through the core from southie to north end/north station to downtown and theatre district, to back bay and south end, Mission Hill, jp, kenmore, Coolidge corner, Davis,harvard, central, Inman, union square and so on... driving on the highway I can say Atlanta feels bigger because of highway sizes, buildings heights but those arguing Atlanta want to take vibrancy as well..we can argue Atlanta vs Manhattan for them next thread

Last edited by Ne999; 05-31-2019 at 05:20 AM..

Old 05-31-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Yes I have found the argument that a city feels larger because of highway sizes to be interesting..it’s grown on me and I’ve given in that Atlanta feels larger from the highway...For me when I feel a city I’m out of my car and in the city..for people from Atlanta they’re driving through
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.