Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2019, 04:01 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'd actually argue that first video is lot quieter than a normal weekend/week day, specifically looking at the Public Garden, Newbury, and Boylston. Charles St. is always pretty quiet (by design). Acorn St. sees a lot of tourists, but that's about it.

The rest of the videos are pretty indicative of normal pedestrian activity.

Overall, I'm a bit surprised to hear anyone say that ATL feels bigger than Boston. I don't know if that's just a reputational thing? I know Atlanta very well.. Buckhead to Edgewater, Decatur to Vine City. If you've ever been to Boston, and have explored the neighborhoods from Southie to Allston, Davis Sq. to Roslindale, Seaport to JP.. I'm not sure anyone would argue this without complete and total bias. Boston neighborhoods are more grandiose, more vibrant, more dense respectively. Buckhead would be a suburb. I mean, even Arlington feels bigger than Buckhead. Inman Park would be one square of Cambridge, ditto Old Fourth Ward. What would be ATLs response to Seaport? North End? South End? Brookline?

Sorry guys, not even seeing a comparison here. I do, however, like Atlanta a lot. The beltline is literally one of my favorite new features of any major city. Great music, good food, unique culture.
It is not Atlanta's reputation at all. People are using density and urbanity to say that Boston feels larger and it just doesn't make sense IMO. There's a distinction between which city is more urban and which city feels larger. For instance, Atlanta is more urban than Dallas and Houston but I would sound very silly to say that Atlanta feels larger than those cities for that sole reason. Houston and Dallas definitely feel larger than Atlanta despite Atlanta's urban edge.

Also, no one is denying that Boston is more urban and denser than Atlanta. That is obvious but it seems like the "reputation thing" you speak of isn't coming from the people that's saying Atlanta feels larger than Boston.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:02 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I removed the towns in NH that are far north of the border and added the South Coast, northern RI, and eastern Worcester county. Believe it or not, the area I defined is smaller than Boston's actual MSA by about 800 square miles.

Here are town maps if you want a visual of the towns I added, kept, and removed (most towns in Hillsborough and Rockingham Counties in NH were removed).

https://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cisp...y_Town_Map.pdf
https://www.nh.gov/osi/planning/serv...owns-24x36.pdf
Labor Market Information; Map of RI Counties, Cities and Towns, RI Department of Labor and Training,

A few things..

1) MSAs are based on county definitions, but in much of New England counties don't really matter or make a ton of sense. For example, Plymouth County is part of Boston's MSA but Bristol County isn't. However, Marion (a town in Plymouth County) is much farther from Boston than Taunton (a city in Bristol county).

2) I don't know if there is an official "commuter threshold" required for one county to be counted toward one city's MSA. I just skimmed through the goverment's page that explains MSA breakdowns and it sounds like in the 50s it was decided that Providence and Worcester were large enough to be their own principle cities (which they are) and that the counties most adjacent to them would fall under those city's MSAs.

EDIT: On further investigation it seems like there is a commuting percentage component, and the "CSA" was created to specifically deal with cases where counties are functionally split between MSAs. Idk. It's all very convoluted. In any case, Boston's CSA definition also isn't all that helpful because it includes all of RI, half of NH and more of central MA than it has any right to. I really believe that my list of towns is a relatively good summary of places that may consider themselves to be part of "Greater Boston".

Here's the more intense document: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...2010-15605.pdf

3) Jumping off that last point, towns and counties cannot be double-counted as part of multiple MSAs so the towns that were allocated to Worcester and Providence by the government in the 1950s won't show up in Boston's MSA definition even though they're very close and (I imagine) have more commuters heading to the Boston area every day rather than in the other direction. Just because of the current difference in job market between Providence and Boston, I'd be surprised if more people from Attleborough or Taunton commuted towards Providence than towards Boston everyday, but I don't have the numbers to back that up. Both those towns are stops on the Boston commuter rail for whatever that's worth. (actually Taunton's station is currently being added).
Northern ri way more intertwined with Boston than central nh

Old 05-31-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Well, I was including Boston too lol.

Not just downtown but Atlanta proper has 3 large CBDs, and 2 suburban ones within 5-10 miles of downtown.

Boston’s downtown may be more busy on average, but taken Atlanta’s CBDs as a whole I don’t think the difference is a factor of 5 or whatever.

Atlanta gets around 50 million visitors per year and its CBDs pull from a metro of 6 million.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html

A lot of posters are using city limits ‘residential’ population densities but thats no way to compare the two.
Bingo!

Old 05-31-2019, 04:09 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
It is not Atlanta's reputation at all. People are using density and urbanity to say that Boston feels larger and it just doesn't make sense IMO. There's a distinction between which city is more urban and which city feels larger. For instance, Atlanta is more urban than Dallas and Houston but I would sound very silly to say that Atlanta feels larger than those cities for that sole reason. Houston and Dallas definitely feel larger than Atlanta despite Atlanta's urban edge.

Also, no one is denying that Boston is more urban and denser than Atlanta. That is obvious but it seems like the "reputation thing" you speak of isn't coming from the people that's saying Atlanta feels larger than Boston.
But that’s because on the scale of “urban” Atlanta is like an order of magnitude closer to Houston/Dallas than Atlanta is to Boston.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:14 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
1) MSA is 25%

2) it’s because people are using Atlanta has a larger MSA to say that Atlanta looks bigger from the highway and starts much further out. But on the highway or streets you don’t see county lines. You look out the window at buildings or count the lanes or whatever. Over the same geographic area Boston has more people around it.

Now you can say Atlanta has more traffic in the core expressways because a larger portion of those people travel into the core counties and thus bigger feeling.
To some people (me included) density doesn't make a city feel bigger.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
But that’s because on the scale of “urban” Atlanta is like an order of magnitude closer to Houston/Dallas than Atlanta is to Boston.
You guys have so many "gray areas" in these claims. First, we add additional MSA's and additional land to the debate. Then, we simplify urbanity to justify the argument.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:52 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
You guys have so many "gray areas" in these claims. First, we add additional MSA's and additional land to the debate. Then, we simplify urbanity to justify the argument.
Some of the posters who are in favor of Boston are all over the place. They didn't want to use anything outside the city limits, but then they start bringing up Cambridge and other towns surrounding Boston. Then it went from city limits all the way to CSAs, then it's the skyline. Now it's the Boston area is dense and compact, but they want to use cities and towns 50 miles away.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:58 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Some of the posters who are in favor of Boston are all over the place. They didn't want to use anything outside the city limits, but then they start bringing up Cambridge and other towns surrounding Boston. Then it went from city limits all the way to CSAs, then it's the skyline. Now it's the Boston area is dense and compact, but they want to use cities and towns 50 miles away.
I don’t really understand why the outer suburbs come into this at all once you get outside 128 or OTP it looks like you’re in the woods. It doesn’t feel like a city (until you reach legacy mill cities anyway) the fact Phoenix is being left out is kind of crazy by far it looks like the largest city from the highway because you can see the city.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:02 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Eh. I feel like there are/were two debates going on: “which feels like the larger city?” and “which feels like the largest metro area?”

The thread was focusing on the first question for the first few pages. I’d argue that you yourself introduced the second debate with your comment about South Carolina, which was at first shunned and then later embraced.

You were also the one to first mention skylines, iirc.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:14 PM

1,393 posts, read 858,971 times
Quote:

So in what way does Atlanta feel larger..what’s your argument for saying that a city with less people, less density by 4 fold in 130 sq miles, smaller csa and way less vibrancy in the urban area feels larger?? ..if you say Atlanta feels bigger when driving on the highway then I accept it and less end this nonsense ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City