Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 11:25 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,080,607 times

Advertisements

Boston feels the most urban with multiple core downtowns. I would not say Bostons equivalent of Mesa or Glendale is Hingham or Bedofrd... not even close....

Most influential cities around Boston
1. Boston
2. Cambridge
3. Somerville
4. Quincy
5. Brookline
6. Newton
7. Lynn
8. Brockton
9. Framingham
10. Revere
11. Malden
12. Lowell
13. Waltham
14. Wellesley
15. Burlington

If you want to go out further, id put Providence, Manchester, Worcester, New Bedford, Fall River, Plymouth, Pawtucket and Portsmouth NH in there.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:58 AM

1,397 posts, read 865,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
You are working really hard to tell everyone what should be the measure? Have you been to Atlanta this decade?

Sprawl, big highways, with several skylines makes it feel bigger to me as well.

Bigness isn’t primarily predicated on vibrancy. New Orleans is vibrant, but small.
And you dismiss continuous vibrancy and high densities for miles as a nonfactor. Hustle, bustle, crammed streets, crammed subways are more big city than separate skylines separated by suburban style developments..based on what you perceive to be a big city - big highways and sprawl Atlanta should top any northeast city in your book

Old 05-28-2019, 03:23 AM

2,862 posts, read 4,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
And you dismiss continuous vibrancy and high densities for miles as a nonfactor. Hustle, bustle, crammed streets, crammed subways are more big city than separate skylines separated by suburban style developments..based on what you perceive to be a big city - big highways and sprawl Atlanta should top any northeast city in your book
Atlanta does feel larger for that reason and it's only going to continue to feel larger because of growth patterns. Boston is the urban and compact city. However, Atlanta is sprawled out in every direction for at least 30 to 45 mins and that's being nice. If you're using those metrics, you can also say places such as Baltimore, St. Louis and Cincinnati feels larger than Atlanta because are more urban that Atlanta as well.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:29 AM

1,397 posts, read 865,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Atlanta does feel larger for that reason and it's only going to continue to feel larger because of growth patterns. Boston is the urban and compact city. However, Atlanta is sprawled out in every direction for at least 30 to 45 mins and that's being nice. If you're using those metrics, you can also say places such as Baltimore, St. Louis and Cincinnati feels larger than Atlanta because are more urban that Atlanta as well.
Except Boston is currently growing as well...and by your definition of grading how large a city is by lanes on a highway Atlanta is bigger than New York...When you’re not from Atlanta and you’re 45 minutes away from the urban areas of Atlanta i don’t feel like I’m in a city period let alone a large one...suburban developments do not add to the feel of a city being large...If I am in cohesive urban development 5-10 miles north of Boston I may not know that I left Boston. I feel a large city when I’m in the city...walking around..taking public transit...I don’t feel the largeness of a city in traffic 1 hour away looking at suburban developments and golf courses..You are arguing that a city that has 1.3 million in 130 square miles with bustling streets and crammed transit systems seems smaller than a city with 500000 in 130 sq miles and wide highways...and FYI I can drive 45 min from downtown Boston and be sitting in traffic

Last edited by Ne999; 05-28-2019 at 06:43 AM..

Old 05-28-2019, 06:56 AM

23,500 posts, read 44,172,454 times
LOL this thread has a bad case of Broad Brush Syndrome.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:02 AM

21,730 posts, read 12,873,217 times
Quote:
Agreed, the traffic and the overwhelming feeling of Atlanta makes it feel larger than Boston to me.
Coming into Boston from the airport or points north is much more urban than from South or west. Feels muuuuch bigger

Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 AM

17,325 posts, read 15,507,264 times
All I’m going to say is that when driving into Atlanta, one most certainly feels like they are approaching a VERY large city. It’s not compact or heavily urban, but it’s BIG in every sense of the word.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 AM

14,041 posts, read 15,073,711 times
Quote:
The difference is Boston has as many people (if not more) over the same radius just distributed differently. While those cities are smaller.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:23 AM

21,730 posts, read 12,873,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston feels the most urban with multiple core downtowns. I would not say Bostons equivalent of Mesa or Glendale is Hingham or Bedofrd... not even close....

Most influential cities around Boston
1. Boston
2. Cambridge
3. Somerville
4. Quincy
5. Brookline
6. Newton
7. Lynn
8. Brockton
9. Framingham
10. Revere
11. Malden
12. Lowell
13. Waltham
14. Wellesley
15. Burlington

If you want to go out further, id put Providence, Manchester, Worcester, New Bedford, Fall River, Plymouth, Pawtucket and Portsmouth NH in there.
Everett and Chelsea are more influential than Revere and Malden

Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,486,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Locust Grove is definitely the intro to Metro Atlanta off of I-75 on the Southside. That’s where your first taste of what everyone hates most about Atlanta begins. And I despise the term “sprawl monster”, but that’s exactly what Atlanta, Houston, and Los Angeles are. Moreso than any other cities I can think of. I imagine Atlanta sometimes as The Cookie Monster but for trees and land. Eating North Georgia up in all directions.
I totally Agree with this and other popular cities in the south such as Nashville, Charlotte, etc. are headed in the same direction... I would also venture to say Largest city feel/ Urbanity vs. Large sprawl feel are two different things as in feeling like large cities. We know by default Boston & Detroit are the more Urban cities while Atlanta and Phoenix are Sprawl Giants. There are many American cities that are both...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.