Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 01:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,287,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
The op asks which city feels largest and your judging how the city feels based on a drive to South Carolina?? I don’t know what’s going on in this thread..youre telling me you can tell how large a city feels by driving through the metro suburbs...if this is the case then you can’t possibly know what a CITY feels like
My goodness! Let people live... different people are using different metrics.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:39 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 11 hours ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,112,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Sorry, I'll just stick with city the city proper

Atlanta feels the largest. Taller, grander skyline that stretches for miles, busy downtown, and a 12 lane freeway that is backed up 24hrs a cutting right through it all. Then a secondary downtown a few miles away in Buckhead. Atlanta also feel like a bigger city because there is more going on there than the other cities we're discussing.
Atlanta definitely has the taller skyline.

However, I don't think its skyline stretches much further than Boston's, if it stretches further at all. If google maps can be believed, the walk from Midtown Atlanta to Downtown is maybe a little shorter than from The Back Bay to West End of Boston (passing through the FiDi of course).

Boston also has a huge highway of its own cutting through the center of downtown that is backed up practically 24hrs and - I think - reaches 12 lanes in at least one spot. Most of it's underground, of course, but here a satillite image of the highway as it leaves the city to the south.

And I find it hard to believe that downtown Atlanta is busier than downtown Boston, but that's harder to quantify than things like skyline length.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:56 PM

1,399 posts, read 870,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
My goodness! Let people live... different people are using different metrics.
The metrics you’re using is driving out of the state to determine how large a city feels...I’m just trying to understand what anyone is talking about

Old 05-28-2019, 01:57 PM

17,562 posts, read 15,698,539 times
Quote:
The op asks which city feels largest and your judging how the city feels based on a drive to South Carolina?? I don’t know what’s going on in this thread..youre telling me you can tell how large a city feels by driving through the metro suburbs...if this is the case then you can’t possibly know what a CITY feels like
When did you get appointed to decide what a city should feel like?

Old 05-28-2019, 02:04 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,287,776 times
Quote:
The metrics you’re using is driving out of the state to determine how large a city feels...I’m just trying to understand what anyone is talking about
That’s literally not what that poster said, he said it feels like Atlanta extends all the way to South Carolina (probably a reference to consistent flow heavy traffic across many lanes with frequent exits)

And also, metro is synonymous with city to most people, even if they aren’t aware of it. Lots of smaller metros have more bustling downtowns than sunbelt cities, but they do not feel larger overall.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:10 PM

10,123 posts, read 10,035,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Atlanta definitely has the taller skyline.

However, I don't think its skyline stretches much further than Boston's, if it stretches further at all. If google maps can be believed, the walk from Midtown Atlanta to Downtown is maybe a little shorter than from The Back Bay to West End of Boston (passing through the FiDi of course).

Boston also has a huge highway of its own cutting through the center of downtown that is backed up practically 24hrs and - I think - reaches 12 lanes in at least one spot. Most of it's underground, of course, but here a satillite image of the highway as it leaves the city to the south.

And I find it hard to believe that downtown Atlanta is busier than downtown Boston, but that's harder to quantify than things like skyline length.
From downtown Atlanta location that I used, to Mid-town Atlanta was 2.8 miles. I used 14 St.NE to Memorial Drive SW. There skyscrapers farther north than 14th, but I didn't wanna push too much. This is with any breaks in what could be considered the Central Business District.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:10 PM

8,657 posts, read 10,206,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
How do you mean? Not saying there is no sprawl in Boston area, but imo it is one of the lesser sprawly metros in the country.
If we're speaking specifically about urban areas (not even MSA or CSA), as of 2010, Boston was 1873.5 square miles. Atlanta was 2645.4 square miles, Detroit was 1337.2 sq. miles, and Phoenix was 1146.6 sq. miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas

Old 05-28-2019, 02:11 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sand for?’" (set 11 hours ago)

6,841 posts, read 6,112,965 times
Quote:
I tend to agree with everyone else. Phoenix’s claim to fame as far as this thread is concerned is the fact that the city limits are almost as large as half the state of Rhode Island and its census-designated metro area easily dwarfs RI by a factor of 14. In fact the Phoenix metro area is almost the size of MA, RI, and CT combined.

The argument KodeBlue was making is parallel to this. Phoenix comes out on top in the category of “nothing around for miles” and Atlanta comes in second. In Boston’s case, you don’t have to drive far until you reach another fairly large city (eg Worcester, Manchester, Providence, and Portland) so it makes sense that Atlanta’s “cult of personality” extends farther without being challenged.

This, in-turn could make Atlanta feel bigger.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:15 PM

8,657 posts, read 10,206,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I tend to agree with everyone else. Phoenix’s claim to fame as far as this thread is concerned is the fact that the city limits are almost as large as half the state of Rhode Island and its census-designated metro area easily dwarfs RI by a factor of 14. In fact the Phoenix metro area is almost the size of MA, RI, and CT combined.

The argument KodeBlue was making is parallel to this. Phoenix comes out on top in the category of “nothing around for miles” and Atlanta comes in second. In Boston’s case, you don’t have to drive far until you reach another fairly large city (eg Worcester, Manchester, Providence, and Portland) so it makes sense that Atlanta’s “cult of personality” extends farther without being challenged.

This, in-turn could make Atlanta feel bigger.
That is such a lie. Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Old 05-28-2019, 02:16 PM

14,107 posts, read 15,144,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
If we're speaking specifically about urban areas (not even MSA or CSA), as of 2010, Boston was 1873.5 square miles. Atlanta was 2645.4 square miles, Detroit was 1337.2 sq. miles, and Phoenix was 1146.6 sq. miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...es_urban_areas
Boston has an overextended Urban Area IMO just because the base density is so high in New England. Non Suburban towns in New England often have densities in the 400-700 range so very little Suburban growth turns it into an “urban area”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City