Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Currently more influential: San Francisco/Silicon Valley or Los Angeles/Hollywood?
San Francisco/Silicon Valley 35 46.67%
Los Angeles/Hollywood 40 53.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 05:43 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestStateWithBestCities View Post
Not all of T.V. is Hollywood or related to Hollywood.
No, but Hollywood obviously has the largest global impact. The most watched shows in the world are all Hollywood products (NCIS and Game of Thrones vied for the top spot). And Hollywood is pretty much the only player in the global movie market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 06:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
This is what Google alone does for businesses and non-profits just in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
Last year, Google's search and advertising tools helped provide $335 billion of economic activity for more than 1.3 million businesses, website publishers, and nonprofits nationwide.
https://economicimpact.google.com

This $335B is for 1 year and isnt even part of Google's own revenue, but the dollar amount generated for other organizations by their affiliation with Google.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
No, but Hollywood obviously has the largest global impact. The most watched shows in the world are all Hollywood products (NCIS and Game of Thrones vied for the top spot). And Hollywood is pretty much the only player in the global movie market.
Yes but again, Hollywood is entertainment while Silicon Valley impacts people in real life far more.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:14 PM

The Bay Area has the largest concentration of top global corporate brands of any urban agglomeration in the world at this time, and most of those are tech brands.

From the UK Financial Times:
The BrandZ rankings of the world’s most valuable brands have been compiled by WPP’s marketing and brand consultancy Kantar Millward Brown since 2006. BrandZ calculates values by combining financial and market data with surveys of more than 3.6m consumers in 51 countries for their views about brands.

Bay Area: 17 of the top 100
1 Google
2 Apple
6 Facebook
7 Visa
18 Wells Fargo
30 Paypal
38 Intel
45 Oracle
51 Youtube
57 Cisco
61 Netflix
75 Adobe
78 Salesforce
83 LinkedIn
88 EBay
89 HP
91 Instagram

Los Angeles: 1 of the top 100
19 Disney

https://ig.ft.com/top-100-global-brands/2018/

Tech is front and center in the global conciousness these days.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:15 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times
Hollywood had quadruple the impact on my real life than Silicon Valley. SV Apple never made me cry. SV Google never made me laugh. But Hollywood has changed the way I look at the world and country by showing us how others live/act/feel that technology cant. Also, I use Samsung, and Microsoft and Amazon more, so Korea and Seattle impact me more than Silicon Valley. Mic drop

Old 05-26-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Hollywood had quadruple the impact on my real life than Silicon Valley. SV Apple never made me cry. SV Google never made me laugh.
But Hollywood has changed the way I look at the world and country by showing us how others live/act/feel that technology cant. Also, I use Samsung, and Microsoft and Amazon more, so Korea and Seattle impact me more than Silicon Valley. Mic drop
Er, 99% of Samsung phones run on Android so...

Old 05-26-2019, 06:34 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes but again, Hollywood is entertainment while Silicon Valley impacts people in real life far more.
Hollywood’s soft power for the last century can’t be understated. It’s the Coliseum to the GI Joe’s legions.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:42 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Ha! Market cap has been swapping back and forth between there and here 17 times in the last year, so enjoy your momentary good fortune

As far as this thread, people are not looking at things in the proper context. What Hollywood produces is pure entertainment content. What Silicon Valley produces not only provides the largest platform for entertainment content, but SV is the global hub of social media and the flow of information via not just computers but also the transmission of information via smart devices.

If Hollywood shut down for a day, who would be hurt exactly? Not many folks. Otoh, if Google, Facebook and Apple decided to cut off entire countries from the rest of the world by turning off their sites and via malicious system updates, in theory, any western nation could be plunged into chaos. That would adversely affect the stock market which would affect retirement accounts and have a destablizing affect on the whole world.

Think about it:
Daily Google Queries: 3.5 Billion(40,000 per second)
Daily Active Android Users 2.1 Billion
Daily Active Apple iOS Users 1.4 Billion
Monthy Active Facebook Users 2.2 Billion
Monthly Active Youtube Users 1.5 Billion
Monthly Active Instagram Users 1.0 Billion
Market cap is important, but I said "largest headquarters." Amazon and Microsoft each employ in the 50,000 range for their HQs. Nothing in the SF area is anywhere near that level...it's easy to recruit for certain jobs there, but harder to scale up.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Market cap is important, but I said "largest headquarters." Amazon and Microsoft each employ in the 50,000 range for their HQs. Nothing in the SF area is anywhere near that level...it's easy to recruit for certain jobs there, but harder to scale up.
SF, the most expensive city in the country, is still hiring tech workers at a faster pace than any other major market.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:11 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Er, 99% of Samsung phones run on Android so...
And 100% are made in China so maybe it's China that has the impact on our lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City