Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city to live in retirement?
Las Vegas 1 3.13%
Nashville 13 40.63%
Orange County, CA 8 25.00%
Phoenix/Scottsdale 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 09:43 AM

1,086 posts, read 745,884 times

Advertisements

Lots of good threads here comparing various cities but it seems to me it depends on if one is going to visit for a weekend (it's hard to beat Vegas) or going to live their life (hard to beat So Cal if you can afford it). I thus would love to see your pros and cons for these cities, from real people's perspectives, as retirement destinations for an early 50's semi-affluent couple with college age kids. In particular if you know of nice neighborhoods, sub-divisions, country club communities, etc... within them I'd love to hear about it.

Probably talking suburbs so maybe the title should be Summerlin v. Franklin v. Mission Viejo v. North Scottsdale (or other similar suburbs).

I like sun but my wife doesn't love the heat.

We can afford to travel during the worst time of year in any city.

We both like the idea of no state income tax but do factor in the total tax bill (own a property in Texas and still can't believe how much the property taxes are there - WOW!).

We like the idea of a decent airport within 30-40 minutes.

We do not need a walkable neighborhood but certainly wouldn't turn it down.

We are moderately social but not extroverts.

Probably prefer all age community as opposed to a 55+.

Would prefer a lower crime area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 09:53 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Lots of good threads here comparing various cities but it seems to me it depends on if one is going to visit for a weekend (it's hard to beat Vegas) or going to live their life (hard to beat So Cal if you can afford it). I thus would love to see your pros and cons for these cities, from real people's perspectives, as retirement destinations for an early 50's semi-affluent couple with college age kids. In particular if you know of nice neighborhoods, sub-divisions, country club communities, etc... within them I'd love to hear about it.

Probably talking suburbs so maybe the title should be Summerlin v. Franklin v. Mission Viejo v. North Scottsdale (or other similar suburbs).

I like sun but my wife doesn't love the heat.

We can afford to travel during the worst time of year in any city.

We both like the idea of no state income tax but do factor in the total tax bill (own a property in Texas and still can't believe how much the property taxes are there - WOW!).

We like the idea of a decent airport within 30-40 minutes.

We do not need a walkable neighborhood but certainly wouldn't turn it down.

We are moderately social but not extroverts.

Probably prefer all age community as opposed to a 55+.

Would prefer a lower crime area.
Nashville (Franklin) is a great place to live, and I know a bunch of retirees in the area. I lived near Franklin (Spring Hill) for a few years for work, and I enjoyed the area overall. The "downtown" is really neat and they have festivals and such all the time. Very low crime as well, the downfall would be heat/humidity.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM

367 posts, read 585,011 times
Franklin also has relatively low taxes and no state income. With the hall income tax (taxes on dvidiends) being phased out in the next two years.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:22 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
I rank metros, small towns, and retirement areas. Nashville is not really considered a "retirement" area. But of the cities you listed, I'd say choose between Nashville or Phoenix based on what you want in a retirement area. BUT, both are experiencing cost of living rises way above the national average, which is troublesome to me. Both are great areas in many ways and rank well in my metro rankings. But Buying Power and COL are deal-breakers for my wife and me. OC is excruciatingly expensive. LV is not a personal favorite place of mine on any level.

There would be other areas to retire that are good for retirees, but affordable. But with your list, I could go with either Nashville or Phoenix. Good luck in you search!

Old 06-06-2019, 04:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Phoenix

Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Phoenix has historically, and to this day is still one of the top retirement places in the U.S. outside of Florida. That said, Nashville/TN is also quickly working up a reputation for being a good retirement place. Honestly either city/state, but because you said your wife "doesn't love the heat", I'd probably say TN. Definitely not as extreme as PHX.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:35 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Franklin walkable to the center of town where I'd want to be isn't exactly affordable these days. Prices have more than doubled in the last 6 or 7 years. It's not crazed like California but most people can't tie up that much of their net worth in housing. Even a small house out in brick McMansion land 2 miles from anything but residential sprawl is $450K+.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:24 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Franklin walkable to the center of town where I'd want to be isn't exactly affordable these days. Prices have more than doubled in the last 6 or 7 years. It's not crazed like California but most people can't tie up that much of their net worth in housing. Even a small house out in brick McMansion land 2 miles from anything but residential sprawl is $450K+.
Pretty much anything in downtown Franklin these days is going to be pushing a million. The desirable areas in TN are nowhere nearly as cheap as many people seem to believe.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:27 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Pretty much anything in downtown Franklin these days is going to be pushing a million. The desirable areas in TN are nowhere nearly as cheap as many people seem to believe.
Agreed

But in this case $$$ obviously isn't an issue, and Franklin is still a cheaper option than others on this list.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:01 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
Agreed

But in this case $$$ obviously isn't an issue, and Franklin is still a cheaper option than others on this list.

Franklin is cheaper than Vegas? I guess I need to be educated about fancy neighborhoods in Vegas. Orange County? A couple of my recent Asian employers had their US HQ in Irvine and Tustin so I'm quite familiar with the crazy housing prices. Phoenix has some expensive neighborhoods but my life experience is that much of it is pretty low budget. Both Phoenix and Vegas were caught up in the housing market collapse at the Great Recession. It doesn't take much of a crystal ball to predict that it will happen again at the next recession. If you want to retire in the desert, just wait for the buying opportunity. Personally, I'd rather do Santa Fe if I'm doing desert. It's cooler and Ski Santa Fe is a fun little ski area.

If somebody else is buying and paying the property taxes, I'll take the house walkable to the beach in Orange County. San Clemente would be fine.

My girlfriend lived in Franklin until a couple of years ago. If I'm buying my retirement home and those are my four geographic options, I'd pick Franklin but I wouldn't be able to afford the location I'd want. I'd be stuck in the sprawl where nothing is walkable. I'd probably pick east of I-65 close to Marcella Vivrette Smith park at the Brentwood line which has really nice hiking trails. I think I'm priced out of anything close to the center of town on "the right side of the tracks". That ship sailed in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City