Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 12:03 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times

Advertisements

The high-value and high-desire professions mostly flow to the big bad liberal cities -- finance, tech, media, arts.

The middle class tends to have a harder time as a result, and some leave for cheaper pastures. That doesn't mean they wouldn't stay if prices were equal.

I'm in the middle on many of these issues, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 12:06 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Most of the affluent areas and populated areas in SC voted Republican.

I never heard of a majority Republican high crime area.

The poorest areas are democrat.

Trump couldn't beat out a welfare expanding democrat party for the poor vote.

A lot of college educated people have liberal arts degrees and they tend to earn relatively less money.

The majority of Republicans live in the nice suburbs of major cities

Old 06-02-2019, 03:33 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Most of the affluent areas and populated areas in SC voted Republican.

I never heard of a majority Republican high crime area.

The poorest areas are democrat.

Trump couldn't beat out a welfare expanding democrat party for the poor vote.

A lot of college educated people have liberal arts degrees and they tend to earn relatively less money.

The majority of Republicans live in the nice suburbs of major cities
According to what I read on Wikipedia, South Carolina is something of an outlier in the Deep South.

It's voted Republican in every election since 1964 save for voting for son of the South Jimmy Carter in 1976. (It didn't join the Cotton Belt states in voting for George Wallace in 1968 either.)

The county containing its former most populous city, the state capital of Columbia, has voted Democratic for some time, but the county containing its now-largest city, Charleston, flipped in 2016, making Trump the first Republican to carry the state without carrying Charleston County since Herbert Hoover won there in 1928.

The urban/rural divide common in the Northeast and Midwest seems absent there. Clinton carried Charleston County by only a bare majority of the vote, and the state's most populous county, Greenville, whose eponymous county seat is South Carolina's third-most-populous city, went for Trump by a nearly 60% margin.

But it appears that South Carolina didn't shift to the Republican column in the post-Civil Rights years; rather, it went there earlier. However: That could be because arch-segregationist Strom Thurmond,* who led the "Dixiecrat" rebellion at the 1948 Democratic National Convention, switched to the GOP in 1952. IOW, the state was merely ahead of its time in reacting to those uppity black folk.

*And, of course, we learned after he died that he fathered a love child by a black woman. To his credit, he supported the woman and her child consistently thereafter, but I think you know what word that begins with H runs through my mind in light of this.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:46 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Trump won white people across every demographic.

Not sure how people are disaffected if they don't have your politics.
I was more referring to the context of PA, but even nationally, there were very clear divisions between college v. non-college educated whites in their support of Trump, and to a lesser extent, young vs. old whites, with the latter demographic in both cases offering notably more Republican support.

It was an election that really accelerated the recent trend of affluent/educated whites abandoning the GOP, and less affluent/non-college educated whites shifting to the GOP. The South may have been the exception, but in the Northeast and Midwest, this shift was very marked in 2016.

Also, my phrasing was "generally disaffected"; as in, it was blatantly obvious that Trump's core appeal has always been and continues to be with the "slash and burn the government" crowd. There are exceptions, of course. But he absolutely wouldn't have won without the "angry" vote.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
According to what I read on Wikipedia, South Carolina is something of an outlier in the Deep South.

It's voted Republican in every election since 1964 save for voting for son of the South Jimmy Carter in 1976. (It didn't join the Cotton Belt states in voting for George Wallace in 1968 either.)

The county containing its former most populous city, the state capital of Columbia, has voted Democratic for some time, but the county containing its now-largest city, Charleston, flipped in 2016, making Trump the first Republican to carry the state without carrying Charleston County since Herbert Hoover won there in 1928.

The urban/rural divide common in the Northeast and Midwest seems absent there. Clinton carried Charleston County by only a bare majority of the vote, and the state's most populous county, Greenville, whose eponymous county seat is South Carolina's third-most-populous city, went for Trump by a nearly 60% margin.

But it appears that South Carolina didn't shift to the Republican column in the post-Civil Rights years; rather, it went there earlier. However: That could be because arch-segregationist Strom Thurmond,* who led the "Dixiecrat" rebellion at the 1948 Democratic National Convention, switched to the GOP in 1952. IOW, the state was merely ahead of its time in reacting to those uppity black folk.

*And, of course, we learned after he died that he fathered a love child by a black woman. To his credit, he supported the woman and her child consistently thereafter, but I think you know what word that begins with H runs through my mind in light of this.
Only two segregationists switched to GOP. Most of the others remained democrats. Segregionist Democrats senator Ernest Hollings of SC did not switch.

It is interesting you give a history lesson but leave out this fact.

Doesn't make any sense to assert Thurmond switched to GOp to show up black people given it was democrats who did slavery and segregation.

He switched bc he was fiscally conservative. The only thing keeping him democrat was racism.

Most of the racists were fiscally liberal.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-02-2019 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I was more referring to the context of PA, but even nationally, there were very clear divisions between college v. non-college educated whites in their support of Trump, and to a lesser extent, young vs. old whites, with the latter demographic in both cases offering notably more Republican support.

It was an election that really accelerated the recent trend of affluent/educated whites abandoning the GOP, and less affluent/non-college educated whites shifting to the GOP. The South may have been the exception, but in the Northeast and Midwest, this shift was very marked in 2016.

Also, my phrasing was "generally disaffected"; as in, it was blatantly obvious that Trump's core appeal has always been and continues to be with the "slash and burn the government" crowd. There are exceptions, of course. But he absolutely wouldn't have won without the "angry" vote.
I would say the malcontents and victim wannebe's in society are generally on the left

It is funny you are basically trashing the former Obama voters that Trump won as angry.

If somebody doesn't vote your way,. They must be angry. Sounds like projection and sour grapes.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:03 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually SC's third-largest city is North Charleston. Greenville is somewhere around the fifth- or sixth-largest city due to its artificially small city limits.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:04 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
It depends. If the PA unemployment rate is the same as it is today if not lower than it can be duplicated. Overall Billary did better in the southeast counties than Obama in 2012 and still couldn't get the job done. Most of the NE part of the state(which is more populated than the SW outside of Allegheny) flipped red in 2016. Republican registration in the state has increased since 2012 and it hasn't stopped despite facing a Dem registration advantage. Don't dismiss the notion that conservatives(or apolitical folks) are fleeing from deep blue states like Jersey, NY and Maryland to PA because of blue policies like insane taxes, regulations, etc. I can assure you those aren't all old white voters.
You're certainly right about how 2016 turned out and the trend of the D-to-R switching that accelerated when Trump declared his candidacy. However, that trend in PA had actually stopped in 2017 or 2018, if not beginning to slightly revert to an increasing "D" edge.

Of course one should never say never, and the economy is a wild card. But I still maintain, even assuming as you correctly point out that not all NJ, NY and MD transplants to PA are Democratic voters (although keep in mind that taxes and regulation are only two of many factors in relocation, and even if one relocates over those factors, that still doesn't preclude Democratic voting habits), that PA is going to through a fairly unique demographic shift right now.

Not even taking things like educational attainment and migration into consideration, it's a basic fact that Pennsylvania's population growth is entirely being fueled by individuals of color; and its white population is simultaneously dropping at one of the fastest rates in the US. This will absolutely have an impact on elections in the near future.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-02-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 04:15 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Certain parts of the South have absolutely demonstrated this trend. My residence of Cobb County, GA is heavily populated by college educated voters of a variety of races. After voting Republican from 1980 through 2012, it flipped to Democratic in 2016, and this trend intensified in the 2018 midterms. The current administration's focus on areas like fossil fuel production, border walls and import tariffs is not likely to bring such areas back to Republicans either.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 AM

512 posts, read 473,744 times
I didn't realize Madison was that Blue. Wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City