Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 02:12 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,732,134 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at these Cities to relocate. Are main focus is COL. What do you think is the more affordable City?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 02:52 PM

3,181 posts, read 2,231,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
It does seem like most people who are not or would not be happy in Greenville are ultra liberal.
Greenville does tend to be more conservative than most midsized to large metro areas in the South Atlantic states, including the other three in this thread.

The perspectives I find most odd are those stating that certain places are "boring". Raleigh and Charlotte are generally considered better places to live than visit, and their built environments are somewhat bland as a result of being more recently developed than many other cities. But they offer plenty of activities and amenities.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:34 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,431,771 times
That was my point.

The people who typically don't like Greenville or are unhappy in Greenville also loathe conservatives.

My brother used to live in Raleigh and Richmond. It seemed like daily lving there is similar to living in Greenville except you are not as close to blue ridge.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-01-2019 at 03:46 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 04:09 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,872,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadByKnight View Post
There are a lot of exciting changes happening in Greenville, however, starting to find that we are urbanites and when not in Downtown Greenville we find the city a bit boring (and I mean this with absolutely no disrespect so please don't start with getting defensive as I see often on this forum). I think if we stayed our next move would be within walking distance of downtown. We are beginning to look at all of our options as my wife and I were just afforded jobs that will allow for fully remote work within a year. We really miss the coast so, as you'll see, these cities are roughly 3 hours or less (Richmond being the closest). Each of the following cities appear to have a lot of exciting changes coming when looking up the master plans, so I'd be interested to see the feedback. With that said, which is the best given the following criteria: Charlotte, Greenville, Raleigh, Richmond

Downtown:
Restaurants:
Shopping:
Economy:
Crime:
Culture:
Education:
Cleanliness:
Things to do:
Overall:
Richmond is probably the most pedestrian-friendly as well as the most historic city center. Charlotte’s downtown is the biggest but you need a car to properly enjoy all ithe city’s attributes. Raleigh’s downtown is growing faster than Richmond’s but like Charlotte you’d need a car to most fully experience the area. I don’t know Greenville, so I’ll leave that alone.

Downtown: Richmond/Charlotte (good in different ways)
Restaurants: Raleigh (though Richmond for microbreweries)
Shopping: Charlotte (Has mostly what Raleigh has with a few more high end stuff)
Economy: Charlotte/Raleigh
Crime: Raleigh
Culture: Charlotte/Raleigh (Charlotte’s is more centralized however)
Education: Raleigh
Location: Raleigh/Charlotte (I prefer the Carolina beaches to Virginia’s)
Scenery: Raleigh/Charlotte (personal preference on tree coverage I guess, you are splitting hairs though)
Cleanliness: Not Richmond
Things to Do: Charlotte (theme park gives edge over Raleigh)

Last edited by Heel82; 06-01-2019 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 04:40 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,567,899 times
RVA (I like the little DC appearance of the inner city and the real thing is close by. Chesapeake Bay proximity).

CLT (Little ATL and ACC Basketball).

RDU (I'm really not into Raleigh, I'm from ATL but I really can't put my finger on it).

GSP (Close to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Charleston...Yes, Clem Vegas, that's a big draw for your town).

Old 06-01-2019, 04:49 PM

Really weird to give Charlotte credit for ACC Basketball.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
RVA (I like the little DC appearance of the inner city and the real thing is close by. Chesapeake Bay proximity).

CLT (Little ATL and ACC Basketball).

RDU (I'm really not into Raleigh, I'm from ATL but I really can't put my finger on it).

GSP (Close to Atlanta, Charlotte, and Charleston...Yes, Clem Vegas, that's a big draw for your town).
I don't know anybody happy in Greenville who gets excited about ATL and Charlotte.

Most people move here bc it is not like those type of cities, and bc it is near the Blue ridge which contradicts ur Charleston point.

It is 3.5 hours from Charleston. The beaches are main draw to charleston. I would recommend Charleston over other cities on list other than gville bc of the beaches and two big lakes nearby.

I think ATL has the most unappealing downtown in the country.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-01-2019 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 05:35 PM

Charleston is great incidentally. I wouldn’t want to deal with traffic and it’s a COL for what you get (besides the beach) is a bit much, but it’s great. Mentioning the lakes (Moultrie?) as a draw is a head scratcher to me though.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:36 PM

People who like lakes and own boats.

I'm making recommendatiions based on what I like.

You really think nobody in Charleston goes to those lakes?

Old 06-01-2019, 05:45 PM

I’m sure some do, but there are lakes like that all over so I don’t know. I lived there for 4 years, and I had to check google when you mentioned 2 lakes as I could only think of 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City