Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 10:39 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,706,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
There is a few billion being sunk into other areas of Raleigh, namely Midtown, not to mention Durham, Cary, etc. You aren’t comparing apples-to-apples. Richmond is not doing better economically. Stop trying to make fetch happen.
I only gave the downtowns as one basis of comparison, not the only; furthermore, downtown to downtown is very apples to apples. Are you that dense that you think "billions" aren't being invested into other areas of Richmond?

You've yet to support that bold proclamation of yours lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 10:41 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,697,585 times
“Fetch” did happen though. You’ve just used it

Old 06-02-2019, 10:57 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,897,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I only gave the downtowns as one basis of comparison, not the only; furthermore, downtown to downtown is very apples to apples. Are you that dense that you think "billions" aren't being invested into other areas of Richmond?

You've yet to support that bold proclamation of yours lol...
https://www2.colliers.com/-/media/Fi...18-Office.ashx

https://www2.colliers.com/-/media/Fi...rnational.ashx

Downtown Richmond has more office space available than Downtown Raleigh, though an 11% vacancy rate is alarmingly high. Downtown Raleigh also had 3 times as much office space being built. As of the end of last year, there was a total of 179,000 sq feet of office space under construction in all of Richmond’s market. There was about 1.2 million being built in Raleigh alone, before you even looked at the rest of Wake County or RTP or Durham.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:26 AM

12,994 posts, read 9,723,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
While you are correct that Greenville is the smallest of the group, you've used the least reliable metric possible to illustrate your point. Why? Here are the geographic sizes if the city limits which contain the populations you've listed:

Charlotte 289 sq mi
Raleigh 144 sq mi
Richmond 63 sq mi
Greenville 28 sq mi

You can clearly see there a direct correlation between the city limit size and city population.
Again, Greenvile is the smallest of the group, as well as the least "urban." But using city population here without context shows an inaccurate picture. Greenville's history is quite different than the others in the group and has only very recently been considered "significant " to those outside of here, but it's not a one horse town either.
That is probably true. But still when all things are considered here, Greenville still don't compare to any of these much larger cities in my view, and yes I have been to all of these cities.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:09 PM

81 posts, read 85,895 times
Regardless of whether Raleigh's or Richmond's economy is better, from what I see both the tax burden in North Carolina as a whole and Raleigh individually is considerably more expensive COL wise than Richmond... Both appear to have healthy economies so I don't think it really matters which one wins there. It still doesn't seem as if Raleigh has the urban lifestyle that we crave. Richmond seems to offer more unique neighborhoods like Carytown and Shockoe Slip. You also have its proximity to the other great parts like Virginia Beach/Williamsburg and Charlottesville. I'm honestly starting to lean more towards Richmond and now the debate for me might be between Arlington, Alexandria, and Richmond as it would be nice to be close to DC and having some of those amenities that DC has to offer like the world class museums and history and such to do there. That may be for another posting though.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,855,451 times
Out of curiosity how come Knoxville and The Triad area wasn't included in the mix? OP, have you also considered Knoxville? Knoxville and the Triad are on the top of my list.. This thread has gotten so statistical and complex that I am have become a bit lost, but will try to review the posts as they are very educational, although maybe a bit too technical.

I am going to post my own City vs City thread eventually for my own situation, but I am looking to relocate to similar areas as the OP, but Tennessee is on the top of my list because of the cheaper cost of living and lower taxes. Knoxville's location right next to Great Smoky National Park, the lakes and several other outdoor areas makes it very desirable for me.

I would definitely say Charlotte and Raleigh have good economies and if you are first priority is moving to a city with high paying jobs and to advance your career in tech, finance or some other professional white-collar industry, then those two metros would be on the top of your list. But, if you want more beautiful scenery, location near the mountains, Southern culture and perhaps a little more community and soul, it seems like places like Knoxville, Winston-Salem, Greensboro or even Richmond would be the top contenders. Some say downtown Greenville is really thriving and Greenville is a very urbanish little city with alot of character. But, many others (like the OP) claim the downtown is nice, but is not large and the rest of the city/metro is sprawled and lacking in activities. All I have to say is you will end up paying much more to live in Greenville than Knoxville for the same amenities because of taxes in South Carolina. Greenville also has higher housing costs than Knoxville.

Charlotte felt very white-washed, sterile and corporate to me. That doesn't mean I think it is a bad city. I actually think it is a much nicer city than Denver and even much more scenic with all the greenery, lakes and such surrounding and within the city. It just seemed like a giant suburb full of transplants that was trying to be a city but was very disconnected. The suburbs and subdivisions of Charlotte were so beautiful though with nice homes, gardens and well-kept neighborhoods unlike the ugly, sterile and barren suburbs I see all over Denver that just go on for ever. Being a single guy though, some urbanity is an advantage as the sprawled suburb atmosphere accommodates the more introverted nuclear-style family atmosphere which is very prevalent in Charlotte. A lot of people tell me Winston-Salem is more like what Charlotte use to be more all the transplants moved into the state. I kind of like old world charm and character, but I still am trying to build a consensus of Winston-Salem/Greensboro. People seem to either really be in love with the area or utterly dread and hate it.

I am surprised when people say Charlotte is a Southern city though when there is literally very few SOutherners living in the city, itself. They are the minority. I meet more Southerners in Denver from Texas than I met North Carolinans in Charlotte it seems. However, the western and Eastern suburbs, like those in Gaston and Cabarrus county do seem quite Southern, but there isn't much of an established city or urban environment in those burbs. THey are pretty much sprawled suburbs with a more SOuthern flair. I was living up in Huntersville and there was almost nobody who wasn't from the East Coast there. Many of my neighbors were from New York and some from California. When I heard a Southern accent it really stuck out.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Out of curiosity how come Knoxville and The Triad area wasn't included in the mix? OP, have you also considered Knoxville? Knoxville and the Triad are on the top of my list.. This thread has gotten so statistical and complex that I am have become a bit lost, but will try to review the posts as they are very educational, although maybe a bit too technical.

I am going to post my own City vs City thread eventually for my own situation, but I am looking to relocate to similar areas as the OP, but Tennessee is on the top of my list because of the cheaper cost of living and lower taxes. Knoxville's location right next to Great Smoky National Park, the lakes and several other outdoor areas makes it very desirable for me.

I would definitely say Charlotte and Raleigh have good economies and if you are first priority is moving to a city with high paying jobs and to advance your career in tech, finance or some other professional white-collar industry, then those two metros would be on the top of your list. But, if you want more beautiful scenery, location near the mountains, Southern culture and perhaps a little more community and soul, it seems like places like Knoxville, Greenville, Winston-Salem, Greensboro or even Richmond would be the top contenders. Charlotte felt very white-washed, sterile and corporate to me. That doesn't mean I think it is a bad city. I actually think it is a much nicer city than Denver and even much more scenic with all the greenery, lakes and such surrounding and within the city. It just seemed like a giant suburb full of transplants that was trying to be a city but was very disconnected. The suburbs and subdivisions of Charlotte were so beautiful though with nice homes, gardens and well-kept neighborhoods unlike the ugly, sterile and barren suburbs I see all over Denver that just go on for ever.

I am surprised when people say Charlotte is a Southern city though when there is literally very few SOutherners living in the city, itself. They are the minority. I meet more Southerners in Denver from Texas than I met North Carolinans in Charlotte it seems. However, the western and Eastern suburbs, like those in Gaston and Cabarrus county do seem quite Southern, but there isn't much of an established city or urban environment in those burbs. THey are pretty much sprawled suburbs with a more SOuthern flair. I was living up in Huntersville and there was almost nobody who wasn't from the East Coast there. Many of my neighbors were from New York and some from California. When I heard a Southern accent it really stuck out.
Why would you be surprised by that, it is very much a southern city, located on the southern end of a very much southern state. Yeah, it may not be made up of majority people from the south, but it's still a southern city. It doesn't feel like NYC, or Boston, Chicago, or LA, it feels and look southern to me. What else can you call it, transient city or not.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:14 PM

81 posts, read 85,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

I would definitely say Charlotte and Raleigh have good economies and if you are first priority is moving to a city with high paying jobs and to advance your career in tech, finance or some other professional white-collar industry, then those two metros would be on the top of your list. But, if you want more beautiful scenery, location near the mountains, Southern culture and perhaps a little more community and soul, it seems like places like Knoxville, Winston-Salem, Greensboro or even Richmond would be the top contenders. Some say downtown Greenville is really thriving and Greenville is a very urbanish little city with alot of character. But, many others (like the OP) claim the downtown is nice, but is not large and the rest of the city/metro is sprawled and lacking in activities. All I have to say is you will end up paying much more to live in Greenville than Knoxville for the same amenities because of taxes in South Carolina. Greenville also has higher housing costs than Knoxville.

Charlotte felt very white-washed, sterile and corporate to me. That doesn't mean I think it is a bad city. I actually think it is a much nicer city than Denver and even much more scenic with all the greenery, lakes and such surrounding and within the city. It just seemed like a giant suburb full of transplants that was trying to be a city but was very disconnected. The suburbs and subdivisions of Charlotte were so beautiful though with nice homes, gardens and well-kept neighborhoods unlike the ugly, sterile and barren suburbs I see all over Denver that just go on for ever. Being a single guy though, some urbanity is an advantage as the sprawled suburb atmosphere accommodates the more introverted nuclear-style family atmosphere which is very prevalent in Charlotte. A lot of people tell me Winston-Salem is more like what Charlotte use to be more all the transplants moved into the state. I kind of like old world charm and character, but I still am trying to build a consensus of Winston-Salem/Greensboro. People seem to either really be in love with the area or utterly dread and hate it.

I was looking at Nashville, Knoxville, and even Chattanooga a few years back. A lot has changed really after we (and particularly I) did some soul searching. I lived in Myrtle Beach for a few years and while the mountains are appealing to me I have found over time that I much prefer the coast. The mountains for me are more of like a place I'd like to visit occasionally despite my thinking the opposite a few years ago. We have a little one now so that makes it considerably harder to take a day trip to the mountains. I also found that I really love the urban/city lifestyle and would much prefer the city. I think Knoxville might even be a little small for my taste so Nashville would probably be my pick for Tennessee. My internal debate is starting to sway more towards Richmond vs the Arlington/Alexandria VA area, although Alexandria and Arlington look very expensive BUT you have DC at your doorstep.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadByKnight View Post
I was looking at Nashville, Knoxville, and even Chattanooga a few years back. A lot has changed really after we (and particularly I) did some soul searching. I lived in Myrtle Beach for a few years and while the mountains are appealing to me I have found over time that I much prefer the coast. The mountains for me are more of like a place I'd like to visit occasionally despite my thinking the opposite a few years ago. We have a little one now so that makes it considerably harder to take a day trip to the mountains. I also found that I really love the urban/city lifestyle and would much prefer the city. I think Knoxville might even be a little small for my taste so Nashville would probably be my pick for Tennessee. My internal debate is starting to sway more towards Richmond vs the Arlington/Alexandria VA area, although Alexandria and Arlington look very expensive BUT you have DC at your doorstep.
Not a bad choice, Richmond is a nice town and it's proximity to DC should be a plus.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:41 PM

4,179 posts, read 2,897,981 times
Richmond and DC feel like different answers to different questions. But good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City