Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 PM

81 posts, read 85,332 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of exciting changes happening in Greenville, however, starting to find that we are urbanites and when not in Downtown Greenville we find the city a bit boring (and I mean this with absolutely no disrespect so please don't start with getting defensive as I see often on this forum). I think if we stayed our next move would be within walking distance of downtown. We are beginning to look at all of our options as my wife and I were just afforded jobs that will allow for fully remote work within a year. We really miss the coast so, as you'll see, these cities are roughly 3 hours or less (Richmond being the closest). Each of the following cities appear to have a lot of exciting changes coming when looking up the master plans, so I'd be interested to see the feedback. With that said, which is the best given the following criteria: Charlotte, Greenville, Raleigh, Richmond

Downtown:
Restaurants:
Shopping:
Economy:
Crime:
Culture:
Education:
Cleanliness:
Things to do:
Overall:

Last edited by NomadByKnight; 05-31-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 01:26 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,206,134 times
In my opinion, Raleigh/Durham is a truly excellent area to live overall, even if there are certain categories where other metro areas may have an advantage. There are plenty of reasons why it is one of the fastest growing places in the nation, even exceeding Charlotte and far ahead of Greenville and Richmond. The economy is thriving, public safety levels are better than average, three top tier universities (and various smaller schools) are well integrated into their communities, and the urban amenities including the arts and dining scene as well as the greenway system are continuously expanding. I think Raleigh/Durham is a little better connected with the beaches than Greenville and Charlotte, as it is a straight shot down I-40 to the Wilmington area.

One advantage Greenville has over Raleigh is closer proximity to the mountains, but if that isn't a priority, the Triangle is probably a better match.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:14 PM

37,880 posts, read 41,910,477 times
If you're an urbanite and that's important to you, I'd go with Richmond. There are definitely urban and interesting areas outside of downtown, it has a pretty great economy, the scenery is nice as it is on the James River which provides recreational opportunities, you're not far from the mountains, beach, or DC, there a robust arts scene in place, etc. The biggest downside is probably crime compared to the other three, but I actually don't think it's much different than Charlotte in that regard. Overall I think it's underrated and probably offers the most bang for the buck out of this bunch.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:35 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The biggest downside is probably crime compared to the other three, but I actually don't think it's much different than Charlotte in that regard.

Actually, Richmond has one of the highest homicide rates in the country and at 20 murders per 100,000 it is actually about twice the murder rate of Charlotte. The crime in Richmond was one reason I never would consider living in that city, even if people claim it is just people who know each other killing one another. It isn't a big enough city where I think I can escape a murder rate that is that high.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:02 PM

37,880 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Actually, Richmond has one of the highest homicide rates in the country and at 20 murders per 100,000 it is actually about twice the murder rate of Charlotte. The crime in Richmond was one reason I never would consider living in that city, even if people claim it is just people who know each other killing one another. It isn't a big enough city where I think I can escape a murder rate that is that high.
Well I said crime in general not homicides specifically. But I hear you.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:40 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadByKnight View Post
There are a lot of exciting changes happening in Greenville, however, starting to find that we are urbanites and when not in Downtown Greenville we find the city a bit boring (and I mean this with absolutely no disrespect so please don't start with getting defensive as I see often on this forum). I think if we stayed our next move would be within walking distance of downtown.
What can you do in these cities that you can't do in Greenville and upstate.

What suburban area is really exciting. I don't consider downtown areas to be exciting. It is just office space, restaurants, retail, parks, etc

For me,. Greenville is a much better location for getting outdoors and has the best downtown.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:46 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
Well Charlotte has professional sports and Richmond and Raleigh have world class museums for starters.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:51 PM

So a person in gville can't attend games in Charlotte. It seems like a person would have moved to Charlotte if their sports teams were that big a priority

What makes Raleigh and Richmond museums better than greenville and upstate museums, and how do you know this.

I'll give Charlotte and Raleigh credit for lakes closer to downtown. But I like the western SC lakes better.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:09 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
For me:
1. Richmond (an all-around gem. By far the best of the four options)
2. Charlotte (boring but less so than Raleigh)
3. Raleigh (boring)
4. Greenville (way too conservative, even if the small city proper is nice).

Old 06-01-2019, 01:20 PM

It does seem like most people who are not or would not be happy in Greenville are ultra liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City