Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 11:36 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,476,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, to Mutiny.

But you also kinda explained it...people just say the "seven cities" when actually there are nine.

Was there an original "seven cities?"
Yes. Poquoson and Williamsburg are not on the original list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 11:58 AM

16,734 posts, read 29,598,285 times
Got it.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:20 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,096,313 times
All hearts and minds clear?

Old 06-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
All hearts and minds clear?

No! Not yet.

Explain more, please...

Old 06-02-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

People say seven cities but there are actually nine cities. Poquoson is a city. There are also five counties included in that equation. And two counties on the North Carolina side, depending on who you ask. I will say from experience those North Carolina counties are definitely part of the CSA because I've worked next to people from there. Every now and again you'll encounter someone that still lives down here working up here. It is closer than Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte.
Quote:
You edited after I posted above.

Wow--just like they do in Westeros!

Seven Kingdoms
https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Seven_Kingdoms

Westeros
https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Westeros

Old 06-02-2019, 03:54 PM

I think you're having fun at our expense.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I think you're having fun at our expense.
Actually, no. I appreciate y'all's explanations. I am intrigued by the Hampton Roads Metroplex--I do think it is completely underrated.

It's just funny and coincidental that the "seven is actually nine" is exactly like Westeros/Seven Kingdoms.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Actually, no. I appreciate y'all's explanations. I am intrigued by the Hampton Roads Metroplex--I do think it is completely underrated.

It's just funny and coincidental that the "seven is actually nine" is exactly like Westeros/Seven Kingdoms.
It is and it isn't underrated. There is a lot that these cities could do to cooperate regionally to make things great. There are things that none of these cities have the financial resources, nor the political clout, to bring into fruition around here. It is one of the reasons none of these cities has a professional sports team. For me personally, DC sports is a poor excuse. I want to see teams in Virginia proper.

What keeps us in second place to Northern Virginia is mainly economic. I don't think that Northern Virginia cities are necessarily unified or "we're all in this together" either. They serve primarily as suburbs of Washington DC. But there is always enough cash flowing around to build up infrastructure. So instead of studying about the effects of a new high rise or a new highway up there, which takes years to do here, they just get up and do it. We're just cities in the same region. By and large, Virginia Beach and Norfolk will create their own concrete jungle over time. The rest of the cities seem to get in wherever they can fit in. Which is actually fine with me that's no different than NYC. We'll have our own Manhattan, Brooklyn, in our way.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:22 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,551,078 times
[quote=NomadByKnight;55313205]We are beginning to look at all of our options as my wife and I were just afforded jobs that will allow for fully remote work within a year. Which is the best given the below criteria:Charleston, Hampton Roads, Jacksonville, Savannah, Wilmington

From my own personal experience:
Downtown: Charleston/Savannah tie
Restaurants: Charleston
Shopping: Don't know
Economy: Charleston or Jacksonville
Crime:Hampton Roads
Culture: NA
Education: Charleston
Scenery:Charleston/Savannah tie
Cleanliness: Charleston/Jacksonville tie
Things to do: Hampton Roads
Overall:Charleston

All great areas. I picked Charleston, but their cost of living will be in the unaffordable range in 5 years. Sad. My #2 would be Hampton Roads. Great area.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:37 PM

10,763 posts, read 23,886,607 times
I wonder if they will ever complete an interstate corridor between all of these cities upgrading US 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City