Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top choice?
Greater Minneapolis/Saint Paul 47 56.63%
Greater Orlando 36 43.37%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:03 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
- Location - Orlando

Orlando is a lot closer to other major population centers. Minneapolis is pretty isolated, even from much of the rest of the Midwest.

- Culture - Minneapolis

Better Museums and Civic Institutions in the Twin Cities.

- Climate - Orlando

Main reason people even move to Florida.

- Entertaining things to do / night scene - Orlando

Orlando is basically Vegas for the East Coast (replace Gambling with Theme Parks)

- Infrastructure - Minneapolis

Florida cities in general suck when it comes to infrastructure. Orlando is no exception. Basic infrastructure just has not kept up with growth.

- Architecture - Minneapolis

Minneapolis is just a much more layered city when it comes to historic to modern architecture. Orlando is the home of stucco subdivisions and strip malls.

- Parks - Minneapolis

Minneapolis has one of the best park systems in the country. Another area that Florida cities are absolutely horrible in.

- Recreational things to do outdoors - Orlando

Another area where weather allows you to do more stuff outdoors for a majority of the year. There is a reason Disney located to Florida.

- Food styles - Orlando

A lot of interesting food options. Being a diverse, major tourist hub gives Orlando an advantage here.

- Staple events (conventions, shows, festivals, parades, so on) - Orlando

Orlando has major conventions, events, shows, and festivals going on every day. Again, being an international tourist hub definitely helps. (Thanks Mickey!)

In my opinion, it could go either way. Minneapolis probably does the best with the assets it has than any city in the country. I mean the Twin Cities are really overachieving in many respects. Orlando in many respects is an underachieving region (when it comes to educational attainment and income levels), but it benefits more from demographic trends, warm weather, and a having an international money making machine in it's backyard.

Really a matter of personal preference. Personally, I like Minneapolis in the Summer and Orlando in the Winter.
Well thought out, fair and balanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 06:22 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I think you're confusing the Twin Cities for the state of Wisconsin. Dairy (and beer) is more a Sconnie thing. Yes, Minneapolis is known for the Juicy Lucy, but it's not really unique.

The more unique culinary influences you might encounter here lean more toward Native American-influenced and traditional Scandinavian fare. Things like lutefisk, lefse, wild rice soup (or other foods made with wild rice), Swedish meatballs, walleye, ice wine, one of various hotdishes, etc.
My point is that the most famous MSP food item is a cheese stuffed burger was allegedly invented at Matt's Bar, or the one down the street, so the legend goes...

I did not mean to imply that there are not more locally authentic cuisines available. I added cheese curds because its on nearly every menu in the Cities and a staple of the Minnesota State Fair.

I love MSP very much. Back in college I spent 2 summer sessions at St. John's University in Collegeville and came back in '14 to attend our friend's week long wedding festivities so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
I would easily choose Orlando, I don't do cold or snow

Old 06-03-2019, 07:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
Everyone in our house plays hockey.

Assume away...

Old 06-03-2019, 08:46 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Everyone in our house plays hockey.

Assume away...
... Orlando? LOL. I play hockey. There is no shortage of ice hockey around here. Granted, not like in MN/SP, but still. There are four ice skating complexes within an hour's drive from me (RDV, Kissimmee, Daytona, Cocoa.)

Anyway, I'm not shocked at some of the responses here, mainly the ones about Disney. I work downtown, live North of Downtown... Disney is as much a vacation destination for me as it is for someone who doesn't live here. Aside from the rare occasion that I decide to venture out that way, it simply does not exist to me. It's far, for one. 90+% of people here don't live close to there.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
... Orlando? LOL. I play hockey. There is no shortage of ice hockey around here. Granted, not like in MN/SP, but still. There are four ice skating complexes within an hour's drive from me (RDV, Kissimmee, Daytona, Cocoa.)

Anyway, I'm not shocked at some of the responses here, mainly the ones about Disney. I work downtown, live North of Downtown... Disney is as much a vacation destination for me as it is for someone who doesn't live here. Aside from the rare occasion that I decide to venture out that way, it simply does not exist to me. It's far, for one. 90+% of people here don't live close to there.
Dare we count how many rinks you could reach in an hours drive from anywhere in the Twin Cities? And it's funny that people in non-hockey areas call it "ice hockey". I only define field hockey or roller hockey. The real thing is just hockey.

All joking aside, I'm not a warm weather person, I despise the thought of Disney, I prefer the layout of MSP, I like the North Woods and the Great Lakes, I like the other cities nearby (albeit a bit farther) in the Midwest than the South.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:19 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
A college campus on the lake means lots of public access to the water. There's a train to central Orlando. https://www.google.com/maps/@28.5851.../data=!3m1!1e3
My alma mater! Thanks, mhays!

Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Dare we count how many rinks you could reach in an hours drive from anywhere in the Twin Cities? And it's funny that people in non-hockey areas call it "ice hockey". I only define field hockey or roller hockey. The real thing is just hockey.

All joking aside, I'm not a warm weather person, I despise the thought of Disney, I prefer the layout of MSP, I like the North Woods and the Great Lakes, I like the other cities nearby (albeit a bit farther) in the Midwest than the South.
I specify "ice" because "roller hockey" is really big here, and most people think I play roller when I say I play hockey.

*I'm from Montreal by the way. And I was kidding comparing Orlando to MN/SP in terms of hockey. Although honestly, I was surprised at the level of skill of some beer leaguers here. Lots of ex-D1/ECHL/AHL guys.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:49 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
I've been to Orlando a few times and I would rank near the bottom of cities I've been to. The theme parks do nothing for me and everything else is meh. Minneapolis wins this one.

Last edited by YIMBY; 06-03-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
I've been to Orlando a few times and I would rank near the bottom of cities I've been to. The theme parks do nothing for me and everything else is meh. Minneapolis wins this one.
Did you go TO Orlando? As in, well away from the theme parks and into the city itself? (Not I-Drive/Millenia. Orlando... Lake Eola, Winter Park, etc.) I know it's not for everyone, but I'm Just curious.

This Orlando:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City