Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top choice?
Greater Minneapolis/Saint Paul 47 56.63%
Greater Orlando 36 43.37%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
Sorry, forgot to add the source.
https://www.pollstar.com

Top 200 Arena Venues (World Ranking) 2018:
https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/...Venues_702.pdf

Top 100 Outdoor Stadiums (World Ranking) 2018:
https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/...adiums_696.pdf

Top 200 Club Venues (World Ranking) 2018:
https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/...Venues_695.pdf

Top 200 Theatre Venues (World Ranking) 2018:
https://www.pollstar.com/Chart/2018/...Venues_703.pdf

It has more to do with Minneapolis being a music hub than it does location. The city / metro does an excellent job when it comes to supporting local, national, and international acts.
I hate to break it to you, but national tours decide where to go almost solely on location. If MSP was 90 minutes away from an equally large metro, you'd be in the same place as Orlando/Tampa. That said, I'm sure Minneapolis is a superior "music" city because when it's cold out you have to find something to do indoors.

We have no shortage of national and local music here (Orlando/Tampa). In addition to the regular tours at places like Amway Center, Amalie Arena, Mid Florida Credit Union Amphitheater, Hard Rock Live, House of Blues, The Social, Backbooth, Janus Live, Camping World Stadium, and Raymond James Stadium, we also have 3 major theme parks that host concert series with older, but still very enjoyable acts, for a 90's kid like me.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 06-12-2019 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 AM

828 posts, read 647,527 times
The Twin Cities have a substantially more urbanized feel compared with Orlando, but are still not among the most urbanized feeling areas in the U.S.

Advantages for Orlando:
-Major events

Rough parity:
-Recreational things outdoors

Twin Cities take all others in my view.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:07 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I hate to break it to you, but national tours decide where to go almost solely on location. If MSP was 90 minutes away from an equally large metro, you'd be in the same place as Orlando/Tampa.
I hate to break it to you, but you're wrong. Location is not the sole or almost solely reason for a band choosing where to play.

Quote:
That said, I'm sure Minneapolis is a superior "music" city because when it's cold out you have to find something to do indoors.
LOL. Great excuse for having a s***ty local scene.

Quote:
We have no shortage of national and local music here (Orlando/Tampa). In addition to the regular tours at places like Amway Center, Amalie Arena, Mid Florida Credit Union Amphitheater, Hard Rock Live, House of Blues, The Social, Backbooth, Janus Live, Camping World Stadium, and Raymond James Stadium, we also have 3 major theme parks that host concert series with older, but still very enjoyable acts, for a 90's kid like me.
Good for Orlando.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but you're wrong. Location is not the sole or almost solely reason for a band choosing where to play.

LOL. Great excuse for having a s***ty local scene.

Good for Orlando.
I'm wrong because you say so, I don't think that's how it works. Tours want to sell out and generally want to reach as many parts of the country as they can. By going to MSP they are hitting that region and guaranteed a sellout because there's nothing nearby. In our case having so many major cities in one state, the tours can take their pick. Location is everything and Minneapolis is located in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

Also Orlando doesn't have a ****ty local scene fyi and who really cares anyways about which city has more unknown garage bands playing in it, wasn't even of the OP's criteria.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:32 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Also Orlando doesn't have a ****ty local scene fyi and who really cares anyways about which city has more unknown garage bands playing in it, wasn't even of the OP's criteria.
When I first started reading this thread, I thought that these wrongheaded perceptions were attributable to simple ignorance. Now I'm convinced that they are driven by willful ignorance; in their little minds, Orlando has a ****ty local scene because they want it to be so.
Keep sticking up for The City Beautiful, OFU. Orlando deserves it.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:52 AM

50 posts, read 69,451 times
Quote:
I'm wrong because you say so, I don't think that's how it works. Tours want to sell out and generally want to reach as many parts of the country as they can. By going to MSP they are hitting that region and guaranteed a sellout because there's nothing nearby. In our case having so many major cities in one state, the tours can take their pick. Location is everything and Minneapolis is located in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

I guess by this logic, the Northeast part of the US has NYC, so nothing should go to the surrounding cities ? Philadelphia, Boston and DC, all those people can go to NYC to see a concert.

So having a good local music scene is overrated, cause they are all garage bands ?

Old 06-14-2019, 01:00 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:

LOL!

You're wrong because you are. Anyway, keep it up. I need more laughter in my life.

BTW, part of the OP's criteria is Staple events (conventions, shows, festivals, parades, so on). Live music definitely falls within that criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
When I first started reading this thread, I thought that these wrongheaded perceptions were attributable to simple ignorance. Now I'm convinced that they are driven by willful ignorance; in their little minds, Orlando has a ****ty local scene because they want it to be so.
Haha. Willful ignorance? Please tell us all about Orlando's stellar local, music scene. Please present a source other than what I posted that proves me wrong.

Last edited by YIMBY; 06-14-2019 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-14-2019, 01:08 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaVibe786 View Post
I guess by this logic, the Northeast part of the US has NYC, so nothing should go to the surrounding cities ? Philadelphia, Boston and DC, all those people can go to NYC to see a concert.
Boston and Philly are too far from NYC. The Orlando and Tampa MSAs literally touch each other. One feeds off of the other. There is no NHL team in Orlando, because Tampa has that. There is no NBA team in Tampa, because Orlando has that. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Thanks, and you too. I won't lie though, it's very tiring to simply defend (not boost) Orlando from completely baseless accusations. I think you're 100% correct that there is some sort of willful ignorance going on here.

Quote:
LOL!

You're wrong because you are. Anyway, keep it up. I need more laughter in my life.

BTW, part of the OP's criteria is Staple events (conventions, shows, festivals, parades, so on). Live music definitely falls within that criteria.
No, no, no. Staple events are things like MAJOR festivals, annual parades, international conventions, and so forth. I don't consider seeing a past their prime dad band at a dive bar or "club venue" a staple event.

Quote:
. Willful ignorance? Please tell us all about Orlando's stellar local, music scene. Please present a source other than what I posted that proves me wrong.
Talk about cognitive dissonance when a city single handily produces some of the biggest acts of the 90's and is considered to have an poor scene. Now this is just my list but in the 90's, and early 2000's, Orlando gave us Backstreet, Nsync, Matchbox20, Creed, Mandy Moore, and O-town. LFO, Brittney, Justin, and Christina all owe their start to Orlando in some way shape or form as well. These artists may not be your cup of tea, but they are pretty big names but, nevertheless keep laughing, makes the truth easier to ignore.

I also know from living and going to shows here that a lot of the pop punk scene consider Orlando an integral part of their early career. Such as Florida acts like New Found Glory, Yellowcard, Less than Jake, and We the Kings. Heck even Haley Williams said Paramore owes a big part of their early fan base to "local" shows at places like the Social and Backbooth.

No one is trying to dismiss Minneapolis's scene, I'll take your word that it's the BETTER of the two cities, but to pretend you are at some cosmic advantage with music seems wholly disingenuous.

Quote:
So having a good local music scene is overrated, cause they are all garage bands ?
Those are your words not mine. Every now and then a "local" band is more than that and it's great when that occurs, but in the large scheme of things, and this thread topic as decided by the OP, what does it really matter. Yes when picking between 2 polar opposite cities for potential relocation, lets overvalue the amount of essentially insignificant bands/artists and ignore the more pressing differences like culture, weather, infrastructure, cost of living, social climate, etc.

Quote:
THIS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Boston and Philly are too far from NYC. The Orlando and Tampa MSAs literally touch each other. One feeds off of the other. There is no NHL team in Orlando, because Tampa has that. There is no NBA team in Tampa, because Orlando has that. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 06-14-2019 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-14-2019, 07:14 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Haha. Willful ignorance? Please tell us all about Orlando's stellar local, music scene. Please present a source other than what I posted that proves me wrong.
I'm not talking about the music scene; I could care less about something so specious in context to a city. I'm talking about the relentless trashing in general of Orlando on this thread. It's petty, foolish and only serves to make the thread look like yet another CD moron convention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City