Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Atlanta suburbs and Montgomery County, MD suburbs.
NOVA is significantly more diverse than the Atlanta suburbs (which are still very diverse suburbs). But NOVA is on another level IMO. Montgomery County is similar yes, but NOVA is like 3 million people now so MoCo takes a back seat to it in the DC region. Montgomery County is actually a minority-majority county and very diverse also similar to Northern NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
NOVA is significantly more diverse than the Atlanta suburbs (which are still very diverse suburbs). But NOVA is on another level IMO. Montgomery County is similar yes, but NOVA is like 3 million people now so MoCo takes a back seat to it in the DC region. Montgomery County is actually a minority-majority county and very diverse also similar to Northern NJ.
The Maryland suburbs have no collective identity as the Virginia suburbs do. There are a few reasons for that.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:53 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Maryland suburbs have no collective identity as the Virginia suburbs do. There are a few reasons for that.
What are those reasons?

Old 06-13-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't know what you mean by this.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:21 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't get the Atlanta comparisons. Aesthetically, they do look somewhat similar, especially the super suburban parts of NoVa like Chantilly or Ashburn but in terms of the feel and culture, they're very different imo.

Like someone else said, NoVa is a more boring, bland and less cultured version of NJ.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:47 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
Quote:
I don't know what you mean by this.
Not to speak for Mutiny, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that when you look at the historic differences you've got between, say PG County and Montgomery, it starts to be clearer. So nah, it never really developed the same kind of unified identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Like someone else said, NoVa is a more boring, bland and less cultured version of NJ.
I think that might be taking the comparison a hair too far.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:55 PM

409 posts, read 333,658 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't get the Atlanta comparisons. Aesthetically, they do look somewhat similar, especially the super suburban parts of NoVa like Chantilly or Ashburn but in terms of the feel and culture, they're very different imo.

NoVa developed later in life compared to Northern NJ hence all of those qualities. But as an aside, I'd prefer to live in Northern NJ.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Correct NOVA feels a lot more "advanced" for lack of a better word or "cosmopolitan" than much of suburban Atlanta. Depending on what part of Jersey specifically, or what part of NOVA, I tend to agree with you.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:18 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Not to speak for Mutiny, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that when you look at the historic differences you've got between, say PG County and Montgomery, it starts to be clearer. So nah, it never really developed the same kind of unified identity.
Yup, that's a major reason. Also MD is a smaller state and it doesn't take long before you're crossing from DC's 'burbs to Baltimore's. And thirdly, NoVA has more federal agencies and installations than suburban MD.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,930 times
Coming from someone from metro DC, who has also spent a lot of time in NJ, NoVa doesn't really feel ANYTHING like northern NJ, since it doesn't have much local flavor, has a ton of transplants, and political structures are more at the county level in NoVa, but northern NJ has very strong municipalities and townships.

To me, NoVa demographically and culturally feels like a more diverse version of the Eastside suburbs of Seattle, or a less diverse version of the South Bay of the SF Bay Area. Obviously there are climatic and topographical differences, but the people in NoVa seem more similar to those in places like Redmond, WA and Bellevue, WA.

To an extent, NoVa feels similar to the northern suburbs of Atlanta, the northern suburbs of Dallas, and parts of Orange County, CA, but politically it's VERY different from those areas and much more similar to the eastside suburbs of Seattle or the Silicon Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City